Notices

Old 06-05-2020, 10:06 AM   #1
rau
rau began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO libra h2o
Disable touch page turn on Libra H2O

Hi,
I have a Kobo Libra H2O.
I would like to turn off both "swipe" and "tapping" in the options "Page forward and back". I.e. I would like to only use the physical buttons to turn page, without risk of turning a page when touching the screen.
It is not possible trough the standard menu, but do you know if it is possible by editing "Kobo eReader.conf" file?

Is there a description of what is possible by editing "Kobo eReader.conf" file? ex. I changed the time to 24Hour display by changing the "locale" in the "Kobo eReader.conf" file.
/John
rau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:37 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rau View Post
Hi,
I have a Kobo Libra H2O.
I would like to turn off both "swipe" and "tapping" in the options "Page forward and back". I.e. I would like to only use the physical buttons to turn page, without risk of turning a page when touching the screen.
It is not possible trough the standard menu, but do you know if it is possible by editing "Kobo eReader.conf" file?

Is there a description of what is possible by editing "Kobo eReader.conf" file? ex. I changed the time to 24Hour display by changing the "locale" in the "Kobo eReader.conf" file.
/John
Just set to swipe. You have a lot less of a chance of changing the page with an accidental screen touch.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2020, 12:29 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
the device would be unusable with tap and swipe both off.

there would be no way to navigate and choose preferences, or even to exit from a book, the buttons are only for next page and previous page
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:07 AM   #4
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
the device would be unusable with tap and swipe both off.

there would be no way to navigate and choose preferences, or even to exit from a book, the buttons are only for next page and previous page
Not if touches just bring up the menu. And if touch to page turn could be disabled then Kobo could make the entire screen a touch zone to bring up the menu. I personally would love to have that myself.
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:37 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourneur View Post
Not if touches just bring up the menu. And if touch to page turn could be disabled then Kobo could make the entire screen a touch zone to bring up the menu. I personally would love to have that myself.
duh, so now you see the menu- how do you propose to move between levels, options, etc with no touch, no tap, no enter button

please continue to define your magical proposal
Advert
Old 06-07-2020, 04:39 AM   #6
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
duh, so now you see the menu- how do you propose to move between levels, options, etc with no touch, no tap, no enter button

please continue to define your magical proposal
If touch is disabled for page turns, but still work for everything else, what would be the problem?
Old 06-07-2020, 04:44 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard

what level of magical programming can tell the difference between turning a page in multi page options, as opposed to turning a page in a book

it's a ludicrous idea

you are wanting code that knows " why" you just tapped.....

good luck writing your patch - I am done here
Old 06-07-2020, 05:13 AM   #8
tourneur
Zealot

Quote:
what level of magical programming can tell the difference between turning a page in multi page options, as opposed to turning a page in a book

it's a ludicrous idea

you are wanting code that knows " why" you just tapped.....

good luck writing your patch - I am done here
Code cannot tell when you are in a menu or in reading mode? And you still have interface buttons for paging within menus, if that was even necessary.

OP was clearly talking about disabling "tap to page turn" in reading mode. Effectively extending the menus tap zone in reading mode to the entire screen, and removing the page turn tap zones. If you can move the tap zones around like you can right now you can obviously also remove the page turn zones altogether without affecting anything else.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:12 AM   #9
rau
rau began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO libra h2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just set to swipe. You have a lot less of a chance of changing the page with an accidental screen touch.
Thanks for the reply!
Yes that is what I have chosen now, and it is definately better than tap for page turn.

tourneur: Thanks for the replies. It really would be a nice feature to disable page turn by touch.

I am still looking for a complete overview of the settings in "Kobo eReader.conf", but I guess that this is a company secret....
/John
rau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:16 AM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
FWIW, I believe Kindles can disable the touch screen.

Burn the witches!
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:21 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourneur View Post
If you can move the tap zones around like you can right now you can obviously also remove the page turn zones altogether without affecting anything else.
you mean like affecting dictionary, search, highlights, bookmarks, notes

"Code cannot tell when you are in a menu or in reading mode? And you still have interface buttons for paging within menus, if that was even necessary.". If interface buttons take you up or down a line in the menu, where's the EXIT button for going BACK

so I AM LOOKING AT A Word on a Page, WANTING to GET A DICTIONARY DEFINITION, BUT I cant touch or tap the word. what mode is that and how do you detect it, in code?

Last edited by stumped; 06-07-2020 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:47 AM   #12
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
FWIW, I believe Kindles can disable the touch screen.

Burn the witches!
True, but on the Oasis you can't access any menu or use the dictionary in this mode. You have to put the device to sleep and wake it up to activate the touch screen again. I've never used the setting except to see how it works. It's not an option I'd use.

On a Paperwhite, since there are no page turn buttons, you swipe to turn the page, and have to "wake-sleep" to activate normal touch. I've tried it on the Paperwhite, and it's not great as it doesn't seem to recognize most swipes and ends uptake 2-3 before it turns the page. This is extremely awkward when trying hold the device in one hand.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:58 AM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
True, but on the Oasis you can't access any menu or use the dictionary in this mode. You have to put the device to sleep and wake it up to activate the touch screen again. I've never used the setting except to see how it works. It's not an option I'd use. ...
But it can be done, with no magic involved (I'm assuming.)

I've always wanted a reading mode, where all I could do was page forward. If I was a button person, the Kindle sounds nice.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:51 PM   #14
tourneur
Zealot

Quote:
you mean like affecting dictionary, search, highlights, bookmarks, notes

"Code cannot tell when you are in a menu or in reading mode? And you still have interface buttons for paging within menus, if that was even necessary.". If interface buttons take you up or down a line in the menu, where's the EXIT button for going BACK

so I AM LOOKING AT A Word on a Page, WANTING to GET A DICTIONARY DEFINITION, BUT I cant touch or tap the word. what mode is that and how do you detect it, in code?
That's tap and hold. Not tap and let go.

But you're stuck on thinking that disabling touch to page turn equals disabling touch in general. Ok then.

Last edited by tourneur; 06-07-2020 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #15
tourneur
Zealot

double (can delete)

Last edited by tourneur; 06-07-2020 at 03:56 PM.

Tags
settings, touch