Notices

Old 08-14-2008, 03:01 PM   #31
MishaS
Connoisseur
MishaS is on a distinguished road

Device: Nokia N810/Nokia E51
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Ummm... I *thought* that Wenjie (over at GSoC and OI) had come a long way towards porting both OI as well as userspace (Madshelf and FBReader) to the PRS505. Not sure about whether the same could be done for the PRS500 - but I'd be interested if it is done as I still have a 500 lurking around the house.
If I understand correctly, OI is own firmware, not the one delivered by Sony. So while it will be possible to run FBReader on Sony Reader hardware, it won't really be running FBReader on Sony Reader
MishaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:36 PM   #32
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I use FBreader almost exclusively on my iLiad. Love it.

Regarding dotReader, the first link in my sig goes to a thread with a paper I wrote about using the kinds of facilities offered by dotReader to foster online reading communities. I discuss both the strengths and limitations of the existing version of dotReader. It's not a good choice for dedicated ebook readers because of its dependency on Firefox, but I'd love to see something like it for the iLiad and other ebook readers in the future-- particularly those with built-in network capabilities.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2008, 03:50 PM   #33
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaS View Post
It's a bit disappointing to see that while you are expecting certain applications to be very much standard compliant, while it's enough for others to just do a "decent job".
Er, yeah, that did come across as a bit inconsistent. My beef with FBReader is that it doesn't use a real HTML+CSS rendering engine for rendering HTML. I assumed that Stanza was using Webkit, but mid-sentence realized I wasn't sure of that, so downgraded my praise. Result: total mess. So I really mean to be equally insulting to all non-compliant reader systems . Of course, I haven't written a compliant reader system either, so I should probably shut my mouth.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #34
MishaS
Connoisseur
MishaS is on a distinguished road

Device: Nokia N810/Nokia E51
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
Er, yeah, that did come across as a bit inconsistent. My beef with FBReader is that it doesn't use a real HTML+CSS rendering engine for rendering HTML. I assumed that Stanza was using Webkit, but mid-sentence realized I wasn't sure of that, so downgraded my praise. Result: total mess. So I really mean to be equally insulting to all non-compliant reader systems . Of course, I haven't written a compliant reader system either, so I should probably shut my mouth.
No, please do not shut your mouth. Just be equally insulting to all non-compliant readers.

As for CSS support, some comes in the new version. Unfortunately, it's for ePub only now...
MishaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #35
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaS View Post
If I understand correctly, OI is own firmware, not the one delivered by Sony. So while it will be possible to run FBReader on Sony Reader hardware, it won't really be running FBReader on Sony Reader
My own take is that is a very nitpicky point of view. The goal is to allow OI (and Madshelf and FBReader) to run from the SD card so that a PRS505 owner can *still* "enjoy" the comfort of being limited to LRF/LRX format ebooks *and* reading ebook formats that FBReader supports.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2008, 04:59 PM   #36
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Oof. Of course. I need more coffee

I have a Cybook myself I was thinking about a desktop Linux application. That doesn't exist as far as I'm aware.
The only thing available for Linux is an alpha port of the Mobigen command line Mobi book creator.

I suppose you might be able to run MobiReader for Windows under Wine, but haven't tried and can't say.

I'm more puzzled by the lack of a Mobi reader client for Mac OS/X. There are certainly enough Macs out there.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #37
salyavin
salyavin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma and Boox Nova 3
Any updates on Fictionwise?

Any updates on Fictionwise supporting epub at least on their multiformat ebooks? I can understand the difficulty for DRM encumbered books but shouldn't it be easier with multiformat?
salyavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
“We are currently making our plans for epub compliance over the coming months. Please be aware that epub does not specify how books are encrypted, so it is not true that epub is a standard end-customer format for encrypted titles. Each vendor is currently using their own proprietary encryption scheme for epub. In addition, only one major publisher supports epub at this time, it will be months before more follow suit. We are still in the very early stages of epub adoption.”
Name one vendor using DRM with ePub who is not using Adobe's DRM? You can't because there isn't. So please don't be the first to go and cock up the works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:44 PM   #39
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Name one vendor using DRM with ePub who is not using Adobe's DRM? You can't because there isn't. So please don't be the first to go and cock up the works.
As long as the publishers require DRM, an industry standard that does not standardize the DRM doesn't change anything. If you are buying a DRM book, ePub won't matter -- the consumer will have to look for Digital Editions books, or eReader books, which is to say ePub will not change the status quo.

Actually, I am looking forward to Fictionwise's change over and ePub's formatting options will be a great upgrade to the eReader format. Obviously DRM-free would be much better (and I hope they make their multi-format books available in ePub soon!), but if I have to have DRM, I prefer eReader's DRM to Adobe's. As things stand now, with Adobe as the only option , I am simply not buying ePub books.

As I said, not ideal, but hardly a disaster. If you want to blame someone for ePub not being a better solution, you need to take aim at the IDPF or the publishers that continue to require DRM -- take your pick.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:18 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GntlmnBndt View Post
As long as the publishers require DRM, an industry standard that does not standardize the DRM doesn't change anything. If you are buying a DRM book, ePub won't matter -- the consumer will have to look for Digital Editions books, or eReader books, which is to say ePub will not change the status quo.

Actually, I am looking forward to Fictionwise's change over and ePub's formatting options will be a great upgrade to the eReader format. Obviously DRM-free would be much better (and I hope they make their multi-format books available in ePub soon!), but if I have to have DRM, I prefer eReader's DRM to Adobe's. As things stand now, with Adobe as the only option , I am simply not buying ePub books.

As I said, not ideal, but hardly a disaster. If you want to blame someone for ePub not being a better solution, you need to take aim at the IDPF or the publishers that continue to require DRM -- take your pick.

The Bandit
The issue now is that Adobe's ePub DRM has been broken. We don't need another ePub DRM that cannot be broken. Let's just leave very well enough alone.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:07 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Fictionwise announced quite a while ago that they would be using eReader DRM on ePub. This is perfectly in accordance with the ePub standard, which permits any DRM mechanism to be used.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:53 AM   #42
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post

Before the nasty consumer can use an ePub file, they need a device with software that can display one. What's out there right now that does, aside from the sony PRS-505 with the firmware update, and a PC with Adobe Digital Editions installed?
______
Dennis
Um, the Sony 700. And Stanza on the iTouch and iPhone.

I've discovered that I generally prefer epub on my Sony to lrf, at least when converting with Calibre.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:20 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
I've discovered that I generally prefer epub on my Sony to lrf, at least when converting with Calibre.
Do you prefer left-justified text to fully-justified?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:33 AM   #44
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you prefer left-justified text to fully-justified?
On an ebook, yes. If justification were done as well on a reader as in a paper book, I might feel differently.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:46 PM   #45
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
On an ebook, yes. If justification were done as well on a reader as in a paper book, I might feel differently.
I agree entirely. The line length (and lack of excellent hyphenation support) on small reading devices makes fully justified text uncomfortable for me to read.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote