Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-13-2008, 12:35 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But who runs these "open" DRM servers? If you want to have the situation where any bookstore can sell you a DRM-protected book that can be used on any device, they all need to use a common DRM server. Who operates it? What happens if it goes down?
I think "open" would mean the algorithms are known but not the key. The key would be something known to the user... it could be something like eReader users where the key is the credit card number. Or, it could be that a user creates a private/public key pair and provides their public key to the book stores. The problem here is that there is nothing tieing the user to that key pair, so they could just publish the private key with the ebook.

The advantage to using an "open" algorythm like AES or Blowfish or whatever is that no one owns it. Any reader software can implement that algorythm to read the book/file... all they would need would be for a way for the user to provide their key, either as a file or input in the UI.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #17
MishaS
Connoisseur
MishaS is on a distinguished road

Device: Nokia N810/Nokia E51
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
Mmm. There's no compliance test suite for EPUB yet, but I'd be quite surprised if FBReader could pass one. Last time I checked it had little CSS support to speak of and no SVG support, both of which are required by the specs of an EPUB reader system.

I haven't seen it in action, but my understanding is that the OS X / iPhone reader Stanza does a pretty decent job.
It's a bit disappointing to see that while you are expecting certain applications to be very much standard compliant, while it's enough for others to just do a "decent job".
MishaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #18
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
FBReader's ePub support is limited at present, but I don't think "compliance" should be its goal. FBReader is based on the idea that the reader controls how text is displayed on the screen, in contrast to ePub where the publisher has almost total control. The "easy" things for FBReader to fix in its ePub support (TOC and SVG graphics) will typically be "good enough" for the average ePub document.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #19
Zevs
Book lover!!
Zevs doesn't litterZevs doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505; Nowadays Stanza, Kindle, Txtr and Bluefire on iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevs View Post
... and they also say:

"Our preference internally is for the ePub format because of the
flexibility it offers for our customers. We are encouraging the
industry to provide more ePubs, but at the moment, the number of titles
is very small. Of our publishers, only Hachette and Abbey House Press
have yet produced product in any quantity. Both have been working
through usability issues now that the Sony firmware is finally
available, and both plan to offer many more titles in the autumn."

Zevs

...oooops, not that it matters so much perhaps, but right should be right... this response was from BooksOnBoard... sorry for the misquote!!

Zevs
Zevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:39 PM   #20
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaS View Post
Thanks to JeffElkins for mentioning FBReader

There's a list of readers reviewed at: http://jedisaber.com/ebooks/Readers.asp
I pray for the day when it runs on my 505
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #21
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Thanks to JeffElkins for mentioning FBReader

There's a list of readers reviewed at: http://jedisaber.com/ebooks/Readers.asp
Thank you. Good stuff. I'd looked at Openberg Lector before, but wasn't aware of dotReader.

However, I'd like to know where JediSaber gets the idea Mobi supports OS/X.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:15 PM   #22
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
While you are obviously more well-versed in the whole backend/format side of things, when you say "better" do you mean better because publishers appear to accept it, or better because it is 'technically' better?
I don’t know much more versed I actually am, but I meant that EPUB is the “best” e-book format publishers are actually producing books in. I see at the best for three reasons:
  • Technical superiority. And specifically, technical superiority through existing standards. The current state of XHTML+CSS represents decades of experience with the largest collection of “reflowable content” information ever assembled by the human species. HTML may not be perfect, but the odds that a competing “book-specific” format will do a better job are pretty slim. Adding vector graphics with SVG just cinches the deal.
  • Openness. Sans the keying aspects of DRM, all of EPUB is openly documented. Anyone has all the information they need to produce tools which both produce and consume EPUB documents, making possible much richer ecosystem surround EPUB content. Moreover, because EPUB leverages existing open standards, many tools to work with and produce e.g. the XHTML+CSS of the OPS already exist.
  • Existing tooling. An EPUB book is just OPS+OPF in an OCF container (a ZIP archive with some metadata). Most commercial e-book generation tools can/primarily produce the formats publishers sell from OPS+OPF (or the older OEBPS) as source. I don’t have direct experience here, but my anecdotal understanding is that publishers’ e-book production pipelines thus generally involve producing OPS+OPF then converting that to the various saleable forms. Because EPUB ultimately is the same format as what the publishers are converting from, it has the highest fidelity to what the publisher is producing in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
When I was looking into what makes BBeB, I stumbled over a blog post by Bill McCoy, the General Manager of ePublishing Business with Adobe Systems Incorporated.

It had this interesting tidbit:

He goes on to predict "in the long run I believe the momentum behind interoperable XML-based formats is unstoppable." but still, I thought his views on BBeB were interesting.
Yeah... I’m not sure what exactly he’s getting at there. I’m not sure how interesting the choice of archive format and “compiling” XML into a binary representation really is, beyond the fact that it doesn’t seem to save much/any space vs. just using DEFLATE. LIT’s markup-encoding at least amounts to little more than attempted compression and perhaps some limitted amount of pre-parsing – I must confess I haven’t stared at the BBeB internals enough to know how similar it is.

As for capabilities, I think what he says next in that post is spot on:

Quote:
Assume the industry successfully establishes an XHTML-based reflowable document format based on the evolution of OEB, with an associated single-file container package with pluggable DRM, then I see no strong raison d'etre for Mobi, BBeB, or any of the other OEB-derivative eBook formats to hang around forever.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:27 AM   #23
mauibay
mauibay began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
I must be missing something obvious. I looked at their format list and I don't see epub available as a format at BooksOnBoard. Which format on their site is epub? The only PRS505 compatible format I see is PDF.
mauibay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:36 AM   #24
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauibay View Post
I must be missing something obvious. I looked at their format list and I don't see epub available as a format at BooksOnBoard. Which format on their site is epub? The only PRS505 compatible format I see is PDF.
Looks like they didn't update all pages yet.
Click here for the list of EPUB books.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:35 AM   #25
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
However, I'd like to know where JediSaber gets the idea Mobi supports OS/X.
Or Linux, for that matter.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:05 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Or Linux, for that matter.
A number of Linux-based devices have versions of the Mobi Reader available for them - eg the iLiad and the CyBook Gen3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:14 AM   #27
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A number of Linux-based devices have versions of the Mobi Reader available for them - eg the iLiad and the CyBook Gen3.
Oof. Of course. I need more coffee

I have a Cybook myself I was thinking about a desktop Linux application. That doesn't exist as far as I'm aware.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:17 AM   #28
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I have a Cybook myself I was thinking about a desktop Linux application. That doesn't exist as far as I'm aware.
And personally, I read it as such - referring to a desktop application. I have had some limited success running the windows version under WINE on linux, though. But since I have the prs-505 and Calibre, I haven't put effort into it recently.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:22 PM   #29
MishaS
Connoisseur
MishaS is on a distinguished road

Device: Nokia N810/Nokia E51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
I pray for the day when it runs on my 505
We'd be happy to make FBReader available on the Reader (505) as well. But it seems that development for it is not really straightforward: I checked the forums here and beside "you'd need a toolchain" did not really find anything...
MishaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:56 PM   #30
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
We'd be happy to make FBReader available on the Reader (505) as well. But it seems that development for it is not really straightforward: I checked the forums here and beside "you'd need a toolchain" did not really find anything...
Ummm... I *thought* that Wenjie (over at GSoC and OI) had come a long way towards porting both OI as well as userspace (Madshelf and FBReader) to the PRS505. Not sure about whether the same could be done for the PRS500 - but I'd be interested if it is done as I still have a 500 lurking around the house.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote