Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
sjduesey
sjduesey began at the beginning.

Device: none
Adding Book covers for eBooks

I have been creating audio books from Gutenberg text files now for a couple of years on my Mac, complete with fancy covers to play/display on my iPod, all show up and work just fine. I am now looking to buy an iPad, to add the reading experience to my book pleasures and have got 30 or so uPub books down for a starter. I have them all in Calibre but cannot find a button for adding covers to each of them. I have created book cover jpg’s for these, the same as for the audio books, Is there a way of adding these to each of the books in Calibre - or is this undertaken in iTunes or another application before moving them to the iPad?
sjduesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjduesey View Post
I have been creating audio books from Gutenberg text files now for a couple of years on my Mac, complete with fancy covers to play/display on my iPod, all show up and work just fine. I am now looking to buy an iPad, to add the reading experience to my book pleasures and have got 30 or so uPub books down for a starter. I have them all in Calibre but cannot find a button for adding covers to each of them. I have created book cover jpg’s for these, the same as for the audio books, Is there a way of adding these to each of the books in Calibre - or is this undertaken in iTunes or another application before moving them to the iPad?
I have not had a need to add my own book covers (the ones I get when doing a metadata search for covers is adequate for me) but I'm certain I have read that it is possible...I would recommend reposting in the Calibre section of this forum. People are very helpful there and can likely point you in the right direction. Welcome to the forum!!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
GMRabelink
GMRabelink began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Glowlight
Quote:
Hi Sjduesey,
You can add a cover to your book with the 'Edit metadata'-functionality of Calibre.
When in the 'Edit metadata'-screen, just click 'Browse' in the section 'Change cover'. You can then pick any image on your computer and use that as a cover.

Good luck!
GMRabelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please ask Calibre questions in the Calibre forum. I'm moving this thread there.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
There are many ways to add covers to books in Calibre.

If you have the covers: Any place you see the undesired cover, just Drag the one you want onto the one shown in Calibre.

If you can't find a cover: Calibre will make a Generic cover with the Title. Just open the Metadata editor and click "Generate Cover", then save.

Want to get artsy? Add in the Generate (your design) Cover plugin
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 05:51 AM   #6
sjduesey
sjduesey began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you all - cover problem solved.
sjduesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:46 AM   #7
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
More on covers. Is there a way to embed the cover and the downloaded metadata in the epub file? If you do a save to disk, it saves the epub but the metadata and cover are not included... so sideloading into an application which cant talk to calibre is fraught with annoyance.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:25 AM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
More on covers. Is there a way to embed the cover and the downloaded metadata in the epub file? If you do a save to disk, it saves the epub but the metadata and cover are not included... so sideloading into an application which cant talk to calibre is fraught with annoyance.
Pretty sure they are included.

Still you can convert epub to epub first to make doubly sure.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:49 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
It sounds as if you might perhaps be copying books directly from the Calibre library folder? If do, don't do that. If you do either a "save to disk" or a "send to device", you will get the changed metadata. If, however, you change the cover, you may need to do an ePub to ePub conversion to make the new cover "stick".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:15 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Using the Save to disk feature will embed the metadata and possibly update the cover. If the cover was properly identified within the epub then it will be updated via the Save to disk feature. The 2 other files you see (cover.jpg and metadata.opf) are optional depending upon your settings in the Save to disk preferences area.

As HarryT states grabbing books via a file manager will not have the metadata updated. You can do as Helen says and do a ePub to ePub conversion to ensure all of the data is in the copy internal to the library. Another alternative would be the Modify ePub plugin to embed the metadata and possibly update the cover.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Want to get artsy? Add in the Generate (your design) Cover plugin
Thanks, this is just what I was looking for!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote