Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #16
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
That is good news for Kindle folks. My library doesn't do this yet but it does have quite a few ePubs. I have Naomi Novik's Tounges of Serpents out right now. I have a Kobo and an Android phone that has both Kobo and Kindle and Overdrive aps on it, so I can read pretty much anything.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
That is good news for Kindle folks. My library doesn't do this yet but it does have quite a few ePubs. I have Naomi Novik's Tounges of Serpents out right now. I have a Kobo and an Android phone that has both Kobo and Kindle and Overdrive aps on it, so I can read pretty much anything.
With a tablet/smartphone, all things are readable
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 02:19 PM   #18
Tinks
Zealot
Tinks doesn't litterTinks doesn't litter

Device: Voyage
I can't wait for this. I emailed a librarian today to see when they will implement kindle on their website.
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:19 PM   #19
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
It seems that in a way digital books are actually good for corporations and bad for the reading public because copyright law doesn't prevent physical book lending due to the first sale doctrine, I believe. However, with digital books a publisher can require any purchaser to agree not to lend the book (or have DRM in place)...and if they do lend the book (or circumvent the DRM), they can get sued in civil court and/or face criminal penalties. Right?

Last edited by markbot; 09-21-2011 at 03:30 PM.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #20
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
I just checked out a book for my kindle and it works great! I agree with other comments that it is much easier and faster than using ADE.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #21
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
It seems that in a way digital books are actually good for corporations and bad for libraries because copyright law doesn't prevent physical book lending due to the first sale doctrine, I believe. However, with digital books a publisher can require any purchaser to agree not to lend the book (or have DRM in place)...and if they do lend the book (or circumvent the DRM), they can get sued in civil court and/or face criminal penalties. Right?
Not quite, current copyright regimes are possibly good for corporations/capitalists/exploiters and possibly bad for the free dissemination of knowledge.

Books that delete themselves????
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:03 PM   #22
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Excellent...

I just got my first library book on my Kindle. Super easy to do.

I also have 5 other ones for which I'm in queue (who came up with that word! - dumbest spelling ever).

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #23
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Nothing on this yet at my library's web page, but I am looking forward to trying out the feature.

The Sacramento library's compatability list runs to dozens of items, and seems to have every e-reader except for the Kindle on it.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #24
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
The Providence, RI website offers digital services from OverDrive, but so far there is no option to download Kindle books.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #25
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
My library is the "Southwest Public Library System" which is southwest of Columbus, Ohio. And they have over 7,000 ebooks available for Kindle.

Last edited by RDaneel54; 09-21-2011 at 03:25 PM.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #26
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
I downloaded via my ipad both to the ipad Kindle app and to the Kindle itself. Very easy to do. The only problem - and I am talking here about the New York Public Library - is that NYPL has but few ebooks and for those I want there are waiting lists. Why this is so I cannot understand, unless publishers have limited the amount of ebooks they are willing to sell for library lending use.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #27
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I haven't used library books at all because I didn't want to have to deal with yet another computer program, but this program for the Kindle looks interesting! I know my local library uses Overdrive;I just checked their website and they have a "Kindle lending coming soon" icon. I need to stop in and see if my library card is still good.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #28
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
*mumbles something incomprehensible in european*
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #29
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Can't you use the Kindle browser to go to the library's website, check out the book from there, and then have it sent to your Kindle?
Actually, not out of the box at least: you can check out a book all right, but clicking on the Send To Kindle button results in the dreaded 'can't open a new browser window'. There are hacks to get around this, I think, but they probably aren't for everybody.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #30
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
BTW I had trouble at one of my libraries (SF public library), the other one worked okay. With the former I checked the book out but there was nothing to click on on the Download page. And it's not listed in My Bookshelf, though it did count against the checkout limit and is no longer available for checkout by me or anyone else (presumably until the lending period expires). Sent an email to the help link, hopefully they can fix the problem quickly.

Anybody else have this problem?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote