Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 07-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
PB302 and 32 gig SDHC card?

I have a new PB302. I swapped out the provided 4gig SDHC card for a 32 gig one.

It seems I might be having problems with the 32 gig card. The PB302 sees the card ok, and I have been copying files back and forth to it ok. Well, I say 'ok', but that might not be the case.

Calibre has a very hard time loading my device - 9 times out of 10 it simply will not load the 32 gig card. Also - even if it does load it ok, it does not always write the books back. It 'thinks' it does - but when you go to look at the card later, the books are not there.

I have just now been finding that even when the books are visibly there - the PB302 might not be able to load them.

So - I was wondering - is anyone else having this problem?? Could it be the SDHC card?

I find the 4 gig card way too small - would it be more reliable to go to an 8 gig card perhaps?
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
What are you reading????

I have close to 2000 books on my PB360 and am using less than 1.3 gig of space. And these are mostly full novels with only a couple of short stories thrown in. Plus at least a couple hundred of space-hogging PDFs.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
kgn
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
What are you reading????

I have close to 2000 books on my PB360 and am using less than 1.3 gig of space.
Interesting. I only have around 1700 books loaded - they seem to take up more room than yours though. I use mainly FB2 format - no PDFs.

Mind you, I did not say the 32 gig card was full or anything! I just want enough room to move. I am thinking I will get that with an 8 gig card.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:25 AM   #4
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I only have a few books in fb2 format. However I just checked them and noted they are almost double the size of the same book in epub or lit format. Even so, you should be okay with the 4 gig card. Your 1700 books should be about 2.6 gig if they are fb2 format. That gives you an additional gig of storage, or another 650 books or so. That's still a lot of books to add!

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:52 AM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
I only have a few books in fb2 format. However I just checked them and noted they are almost double the size of the same book in epub or lit format. Even so, you should be okay with the 4 gig card. Your 1700 books should be about 2.6 gig if they are fb2 format. That gives you an additional gig of storage, or another 650 books or so. That's still a lot of books to add!

-Marcy
I wonder if you have talked with Kovid and the Calibre guys about this. This seems to be more of a Calibre problem than anything else, in fact.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 05:04 AM   #6
kgn
Groupie

You guys seem to be missing the thrust of my original post. It has nothing to do with how many files I can fit on the 4 gig card. But just to answer that - I have only had my eReader a few weeks, and my 4 gig card and internal memory is almost full. And since memory cards are so cheap, why not put in a 32 gigs card up front and be done with it?

My question relates more to the fact that the PB302 (or my particular unit) does not seem to be able to cope with a 32 gig card, even though it is supposed to. I really want to know if this is my particular problem or not. If it is a general problem with the PB302, then I will simply have to use a smaller card, or wait for a firmware fix, perhaps.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:19 AM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgn View Post
You guys seem to be missing the thrust of my original post.
You seem to have the same problem, so let's repeat myself.

1: Try to load the book to the card directly. See if there are still problems.
2. As I see it, this is not a problem of PB302's compatibility with a 32 gb card, but a problem with Calibre.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:33 AM   #8
kgn
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
You seem to have the same problem, so let's repeat myself.

1: Try to load the book to the card directly. See if there are still problems.
I have done that. So far the internal memory has never failed - not with Calibre and not with reading books. There are still problems with the 32 gig card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
2. As I see it, this is not a problem of PB302's compatibility with a 32 gb card, but a problem with Calibre.
Not so. As I said originally, there were some books on the 32 gig card that looked like they were there. I could see them using the PB302 menu system. But they would not load. The screen just flickered and no book contents appeared when opened. Using Windows Explorer, I could see the books on the external SDHC. They seemed ok - ie had the right size and all.

This was with 5 different books. I thought it might be a bad copy or something - so I recopied these books over (again, just using Windows Explorer). Caibre was not involved in any way.

Again, the PB302 could not read them.

Ok - so then I copied them to the internal memory (using Windows Explorer again). All books worked ok from there.

The folder in question had 8 books in it (in a Series). I had read the first 3 books in the series with no problems. When I got to the 4th one, I got the problem. I then tried all of the remaining books in the series - as described above - none would load.

I have been using the PB302 for weeks - almost certainly all of the books I have been reading have come from the 32 gig card with no problems.

I have since swapped out the 32 gig card for the 4 gig one. I will see how that one works out.

If there was a problem with the 32 gig card itself, I would have thought that I would get copy errors as I copied files onto it. Or it would slow down a lot.

Have other people used 32 gig cards without problems?
Old 07-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
How many books were you copying over at once? I'm not an expert on the minikernel's internals, but there is are discrepancies between USB speed, the PB's processor and how fast it can read/write the SDcard. If you're copying over (some large amount) of bytes, there may be an issue with the internal buffers.
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
kgn
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainycat View Post
How many books were you copying over at once? I'm not an expert on the minikernel's internals, but there is are discrepancies between USB speed, the PB's processor and how fast it can read/write the SDcard. If you're copying over (some large amount) of bytes, there may be an issue with the internal buffers.
Well, in this case, 5 books. Very small number. But many times I have recopied over my whole collection. There never seems to be a problem - apart from speed. Using Calibre is VERY slow....
Old 07-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Simple test to see if a device (PB360 in this case) has an issue with a memory card:
Plug it directly to a PC and fill it up to the hilt. (Not all files need to be ebooks; just fill up the card.)
Then delete a file or two and copy over a test file.
Plug it into the device and see if the test file opens.
If any problem arises you know its either a bad card (testable by trying to copy the files back out to the PC) or the gadget.
If there's no problem then you likely have a USB or Calibre issue.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:33 PM   #12
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
It really seems to be a speedproblem (SDHC). There have been some problems with that, but they were fixed with new Firmware.

What filesystem is your card like? Ever tried to format it deeply?
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #13
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
not all SDHC cards are created equal...even at this point in time it's still not unheard of for a device to have probs with a brand or even just a model or size card no matter what sort of device we are talking about. So maybe it's that card and the PB360 just don't like each other. The brand & model number for the card matter because you might not even have a genuine card from that mfg...lots of fake cards out there be they SDHC or even CF cards...I got stung for half a dozen 8GB SanDisk cards a few years back and back then that was nearly $1000 which I got refunded by my credit card but still it hurt. What tipped me off though was when one of the cards just stopped working...at first it was sluggish then one day it apparently ate itself.

I have not scoured every post but the best suggestion I would offer is to try a different card somehow. Even better is to titrate up from 4GB, 8GB, 16GB to 32GB cards and observe the behavior in your PB360.

I just have a sense that if you have a cheaper more Brand-X sort of card there might very well be issues in the card's firmware and design causing your issues, even if it works OK on your computer's reader. The reader in your computer is likely more robust and able to manage with marginal cards.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #14
kgn
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulli View Post
It really seems to be a speedproblem (SDHC). There have been some problems with that, but they were fixed with new Firmware.

What filesystem is your card like? Ever tried to format it deeply?
FAT32. I only did a quick format. If I use my OS (Vista 64) to copy files to and from the 32 gig SDHC, I don't seem to have any problems. So the card itself seems to be ok.

But then - I do not do it all that often, so it is hard to tell. Currently I have switched back to the supplied 4 gig SDHC, and that has the same problem. ie does not work with Calibre. Again, I simply use the OS to copy files to and from the SDHC and that is working just fine. Or in Calibre, I just 'Connect to folder' (which just happens to be the SDHC), and that works ok as well.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:20 AM   #15
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Now that I remember, the version 0.7.9 of Calibre has not been recognizing my SD card properly. Might it be that you have it?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote