Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Will there be a massive jump to color in e-readers by 2010?
Yes 15 34.09%
No 27 61.36%
*comment* 2 4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
Poll: Will there be a massive color e-reader jump in 2010?

I personally think there would be, since you know, the Mirasol E-reader was announced.
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
cklammer
Zealot
cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Centro, Acer Aspire One
Colour E-Ink?

Yes, if they manage colour E-ink display somehow .... otherwise no.
cklammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?

I already seen a working model of the Mirasol, thats probably the closest to "manage" as of right now.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:18 AM   #4
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_A_Crook View Post
I already seen a working model of the Mirasol, thats probably the closest to "manage" as of right now.
How close to the market do you think Mirasol is? Are they selling the technology to manufacturers yet?
IMO this whole process will take a while. Although I'd love to see colour e-readers out there, I think we'll need to wait a few years for a 500 USD colour e-reader.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:34 AM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Yes. Expensive and poorly implemented.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 12:35 AM   #6
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
How close to the market do you think Mirasol is? Are they selling the technology to manufacturers yet?
IMO this whole process will take a while. Although I'd love to see colour e-readers out there, I think we'll need to wait a few years for a 500 USD colour e-reader.
This came to me in short notice, im not even sure if its going to be sold in america...
Old 12-09-2009, 07:13 AM   #7
StDo
Translating Calibre...
StDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with others

Device: [PRS-500], PB360
How long did it take till we got eInk-Readers?

I remember well the times of the first non-eInk readers...
StDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:24 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
No, I think 2010 will be the worldwide breakthrough of the black&white e-ink screens (5 and 6"). I think we'll see some devices for sale at the end of 2010 with colour epaper, but the breakthrough for that will come in 2011 or 2012. The devices that will be available at the end of 2010 will be larger sized, touch screen, and marketed for businesses.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #9
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
I'll let you know after my visit to the CES in January. I intend to spend quite a bit of time haunting the digital reader vendors! I do happen to agree with Donnageddon. I think a few color devices will hit the market this year but they will have to go through the same growth process as the black e-ink devices.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:24 AM   #10
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I have to agree with Sweetpea, I see there being a huge breakthrough with black and white ones this coming year but not so much color. Unless they can get the technology implemented and the cost down there would not be much of a reason to get a color eReader over a net book, unless it really is a true eInk display.

Even then what would be the point, the only thing I can think of that really would be enhanced by color are magazines and web surfing, and possible for viewing cover art. Magazines I can see but, for me, and without starting an argument, I think a browser on a reader is pointless.

just my $0.02
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:09 PM   #11
forcheville
Zealot
forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs650, Boox M92, Samsung Slate 7
What a relief!
They're planning to take eReader development out of the nerds who actually, you know, read, phase, and gear it towards the cool people who play games and watch videos, surf the net and twitter n'stuff...

Then these gadgets will really take off... like say, the iPhone...
forcheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:15 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcheville View Post
What a relief!
They're planning to take eReader development out of the nerds who actually, you know, read, phase, and gear it towards the cool people who play games and watch videos, surf the net and twitter n'stuff...

Then these gadgets will really take off... like say, the iPhone...
Actually, I think you'd lose a lot of people that way. People who only want to read a book and maybe have a tool to get the news/magazines easily.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #13
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Actually, I think you'd lose a lot of people that way. People who only want to read a book and maybe have a tool to get the news/magazines easily.
I agree. If I want to surf the web, etc., I have a netbook for that. The battery lasts 9 hours and with a broadband card, I can connect no matter where I am. I prefer my reader to be strictly for reading and it's light weight enough to carry in my purse.

As a former computer analyst and a very definite gadget geek, not everything has to have all the bells and whistles. Besides, my Pre has all that stuff and I hardly ever use it.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #14
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
I don't need color book-reader. I have Sony vaio p and HTC Touch HD for net surfing.
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #15
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I agree with Sweatpea: lots of BW e-ink in 2010, with color to follow in a year or two.

And I think most of it will be badly done. Over-hyped, buggy, proprietary, crammed with features nobody who reads ebooks actually cares about ("oh look! Animated book covers!"), and needing 2-4 software updates to be basically as functional as a seven-year-old PDA.

MR's forums will be flooded with newbies asking "how can I make my WhizReader work with Kindlebooks," and they'll get upset when told, "um, install Python, and google for arcane programming instructions about DRM removal."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote