Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-08-2008, 08:06 AM   #1
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Jingle bells, jingle bells....

I just got back from shopping - Jesus Christ, Christmas is everywhere!

I guess they started selling ginger bread and Christmas cookies in August, and now they´re having the whole decoration stuff. That makes me feel it´s real time to think about it, too (o.k., it´s more than a month, but hey, that´s nothing!)

Same problem as every year is, of course, what to whish and what to give friends, family etc. That brought me to the question: What´s on YOUR whish list? I thought it could be inspiring for all to make some kind of "whish-collection" here.....

Ravenne
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:12 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenne View Post
Same problem as every year is, of course, what to whish and what to give friends, family etc. That brought me to the question: What´s on YOUR whish list? I thought it could be inspiring for all to make some kind of "whish-collection" here.....

Ravenne
Personally my "wish list" would be that people would just ignore the whole disgusting commercial enterprise that Christmas has been turned in to.

If you are a Christian, celebrate the religious festival that it (supposedly) is.

If you aren't a Christian, ignore it.

That's my wish.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2008, 08:19 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I'm old enough to remember when merchants at least waited till Thanksgiving was over before they put up the Christmas decorations. At the rate things are going, they'll probably never take the damn things down.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:22 AM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
The local Asda supermarket now sells Hot Cross buns all year round.
When I was small these were a seasonal item for Lent.
So it may yet come to that, Mike.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Personally my "wish list" would be that people would just ignore the whole disgusting commercial enterprise that Christmas has been turned in to.
You´re right. On the other hand, making gifts does not necessarily mean you have to spend a lot of money. I used to have original Swedish wine punch on the top of my whish list for years, which is neither expensive nor was it hard to get for my friends living in Sweden. But, for me, it was always something special to enjoy on Christmas eve.
One of my best friends hates baking. I don´t, so I make her favourite Christmas cookies as a Christmas present. Flour, eggs, honey - not much money
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2008, 10:06 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's the way it should be. Little things that makes people happy don't have to cost a lot.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Nobody's said Bah! Humbug! yet.

So let me be the first: Bah! Humbug!

Not read A Christmas Carol for yonks, so can't remember if Scrooge really did say that.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:45 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I love ringing my daughters doorbell early in the evening on Christmas Eve. I"m holding a gift bag with a new, freshly washed and dried pair of flannel jammies and slippers for my granddaughter.
Because everyone should have new jammies for Christmas!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #9
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

If you are a Christian, celebrate the religious festival that it (supposedly) is.

If you aren't a Christian, ignore it.
I can kind of see that argument; but I do like to have something cheery to look forward to in the middle of winter.
At least these days Christmas is what you make it; you don't need the religious and/or commercial trappings if they don't pull your cracker.
I like to use it as an excuse for a few days guilt-free laziness, and a lot of reading.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I can kind of see that argument; but I do like to have something cheery to look forward to in the middle of winter.
At least these days Christmas is what you make it; you don't need the religious and/or commercial trappings if they don't pull your cracker.
I like to use it as an excuse for a few days guilt-free laziness, and a lot of reading.
hmm. that would pull *my* cracker...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:09 PM   #11
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I don't really want anything as far as gifts, I like to be surprised. I look forward to the good eats of the holidays
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:06 AM   #12
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Not read A Christmas Carol for yonks
Harry, translation please?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 04:49 AM   #13
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Harry, translation please?
Apologies, I forget not everyone is from the UK.
"Yonks" is a slang expression for "a long time" or "ages".
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:34 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Nobody's said Bah! Humbug! yet.

So let me be the first: Bah! Humbug!

Not read A Christmas Carol for yonks, so can't remember if Scrooge really did say that.
If you wish to do so, the MobiPocket version, nicely formatted for the CyBook, is here.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:59 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Well, that's WHY we celebrate Christmas in mid-winter of course. The early Christian church simply "took over" the Roman winter solstice festival of Saturnalia, on the grounds that they knew full-well that people were going to celebrate the winter solstice anyway, so why not pretend that it's a Christian festival .