Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 11-28-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
edburkhead
Compulsive reader
edburkhead began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Shhh, nag program, I'll post and intro

The nag program insists that it's nice to de-lurk and introduce myself.

I'm Ed Burkhead. Hobbies are reading, flying-related (currently medically grounded but working on that), photography. Work is computer technical support.

I read a book or two using my old Ipaq but generally found paper better. Now, with the good crop of readers, I'm looking to get a good e-book reader.

My first choice would be to buy DRM free books. If I have to buy DRM, I wish I could shop Amazon. But, I don't like that their Kindle uses a proprietary DRM. I'd hate to have years of book-buying be hostage to the health and goodness of any one company.

So, I'll probably look at the CyBook and Sony first, Kindle only third.

Ed
edburkhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Welcome to MobileRead. (Gee, those nag things did work.)

When you get cleared to fly again, check out the FlyBook. It is an iRex iLaid with all the flight maps already loaded. It reduces the map case to a single device. Also, with Mobipocket now available for the iLiad you can have the maps and the DRM books on one device.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2007, 10:33 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Glad you joined us, edburkhead, welcome!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Welcome to the Forum.

Like you I've read several books on my iPaq but owing screen size and power issues, always preferred hard copy. But I really like the E ink technology and, unless my wife gives me one for Christmas, I'll be getting a Sony early in the New Year
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:05 PM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
There, wasn't that bad was it?

I get the same feeling when I read and forget logging in.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2007, 08:15 AM   #6
edburkhead
Compulsive reader

Thanks for the info on the Flybook. It's out of my budget for now. First, I've got to finish building my Challenger II longwing. Maybe by next summer.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:19 AM   #7
edburkhead
Compulsive reader

Ah, wife is showing signs of being willing to get me a reader for Christmas. I'm still trying to decide between the Sony and NEAB Cybook. File formats will probably be the deciding factor. I'll probably have to buy some DRM books (though I'll buy non-DRM whenever possible) and I want the best bet for long-term stability.