Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
Greatest App Yet!

I just found an app called Wi-Fi File Explorer on GetJar and am I impressed! It allows you to access all your files on your Vox from your desktop computer thru your Wi-Fi. You can manage your files thru the comfort of mouse clicks and without the USB connection. But, best of all, you can upload to your Vox (including your extsd card) books, music, photos and videos. I transferred a 30 minute video (.avi) to the Vox in about a minute. I know many of us have been using Dropbox but I found that to be really impractical for large video files. This app should allow a full length movie to be transferred in no more than 5 minutes. It gets my vote for best app - by a long shot!
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Any file manager with lan (smb) capabilities can do this. My favourite is es file explorer but astro can also do it.

[edit]: Sorry they can do the second part (copy files from pc to vox). Not the first. That being said, I have never had the desire to browse my vox from my pc but ymmv.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
That's great! I bookmarked the Vox URL on my PC. Seems like it's the same address each time I run the app. Does that mean that when I run the app, anyone else on my network can explore my Vox if they have the URL?
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbrich View Post
I just found an app called Wi-Fi File Explorer on GetJar and am I impressed! It allows you to access all your files on your Vox from your desktop computer thru your Wi-Fi. You can manage your files thru the comfort of mouse clicks and without the USB connection. But, best of all, you can upload to your Vox (including your extsd card) books, music, photos and videos. I transferred a 30 minute video (.avi) to the Vox in about a minute. I know many of us have been using Dropbox but I found that to be really impractical for large video files. This app should allow a full length movie to be transferred in no more than 5 minutes. It gets my vote for best app - by a long shot!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes...it's another form of a back-door. If YOU can access anything including your account info...then any other bot that is on your system can also pole and harvest the info on your VOX..right 'over your shoulder'....

Just so you are aware....
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Oldyellr, by network he means your secure home wireless network, other computers on your home network could get into Vox (if any exist).
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
lorken
Enthusiast
lorken doesn't litterlorken doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox
Apologies for the rookie question here, but would I need to install this just on my desktop, or Vox, or on both? I have a home wireless network, so this would be just the ticket for me.
lorken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Install on your Vox. When you run it, it then gives a http address you type into the URL field of the browser on your desktop computer and you can navigate the Vox since they're both on your WiFi network.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
lorken
Enthusiast
lorken doesn't litterlorken doesn't litter

Thanks a bunch oldyellr! I'll give it a try when I work up the nerve and have the time...maybe this weekend!
lorken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Actually, that's pretty cool. Thanks!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #10
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
It works great, I just tried it.
Downloaded a ePub book from MR here and then copied it across to my Vox and could read it just fine.
But it wouldn't move whole folders of songs all at once, just groups of individual files so that made it a bit of a pain to move a whole music collection. I guess I'll have to do a "drag and drop" for bunches of files sometime, as before.

Makes a lot of sense to copy them across using my own WiFi rather than some external server like Dropbox. And besides, why should they get to see (and make a copy of?) everything that everyone has?!
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #11
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Yep, just installed and trying for the 1st time. Pretty Handy little app!
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
wwpierre
Enthusiast
wwpierre began at the beginning.

I think this would be a great program to have, but I have been frustrated at every turn. I went to GetJar on my vox and tried "wi-fi file explorer" in search. no dice.

Tried to "root"; the only success was to enable USB debugging. Went to Jeff's website for Gingerbread. started download, but got the message "download unsuccessful" whether USB debugging was enabled or not.

Can't seem to be able to get started.

Last edited by wwpierre; 01-30-2012 at 04:40 PM.
wwpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #13
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpierre View Post
Tried to "root"; the only success was to enable USB debugging. Went to Jeff's website for Gingerbread. started download, but got the message "download unsuccessful" whether USB debugging was enabled or not.
The link on this page to gingerbreak definitely works so not sure what your problem is. As to wifi file explorer/getjar, no idea, don't use either of them.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...05&postcount=2
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #14
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
for the first issue - try looking for wifi file explorer pro on GetJar (no hyphen).
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #15
wwpierre
Enthusiast
wwpierre began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
The link on this page to gingerbreak definitely works so not sure what your problem is. As to wifi file explorer/getjar, no idea, don't use either of them.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...05&postcount=2
I went to your post in my VOX, touched the link. It brought me to Jeff's page (again) clicked on the link; collected another failure.

See pix below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vox.1.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	81910   Click image for larger version

Name:	vox.2.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	81911  
wwpierre is offline   Reply With Quote