Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
Bullpeeper
Bullpeeper began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Occasional Garbled Characters using this recipe

Using a Kindle 3 and latest version of Calibre. The attached recipe for The Columbus Dispatch returns several articles from RSS feeds with funky characters, especially lots of squares. I've noticed several others with similar problems with different feeds and it seems there might not be an answer - hoping that one of you with .py experience would at least look at the attached recipe i downloaded from the archive to see if there's an issue with it. I have also tried to use the basic mode and just let Calibre create the recipe after i add feeds individually -- those download as messages about flash, the article text, but everything is justified center. Thanks for any guidance anyone may have. I'm not a programmer, so any help is appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: zip columbusdispatch.zip (2.6 KB, 347 views)
Bullpeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:43 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Bullpeeper

Someone should be along soon with some suggestions.

Enjoy the forums.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullpeeper View Post
Using a Kindle 3 and latest version of Calibre. The attached recipe for The Columbus Dispatch returns several articles from RSS feeds with funky characters, especially lots of squares.
Do the "squares" appear only on the Kindle? Do you see them in the Calibre viewer?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
Bullpeeper

Thanks, Starson17. The corrupt articles don't have squares in the Calibre viewer but are garbled text. Here's a sample:

������_����K���XIďż˝8ďż˝ k;@��������.ďż˝H3I��4Zďż˝WVVÇ �� ďż˝?+2ďż˝z+���utux�����Yďż˝ď ż˝[��yt{ďż˝sz{qÎŞďż˝ �ڑ�1ďż˝e���Q��c��²��Y=ďż˝ď ż˝ďż˝lEV�� ďż˝qďż˝A9ďż˝o����fďż˝'��w_��Vďż˝ďż ˝6ďż˝$ďż˝/���x��*?���Hďż˝ďż˝ďż˝ďż˝ďż˝ďż˝ďż˝ď ż˝ďż˝ŮĄĎŁďż˝Q����E|2ďż˝a�����8ďż ˝ďż˝ďż˝ďż˝ďż˝ďż˝ďż˝ďż˝l ��Jďż˝yďż˝H����!~����qďż˝ďż˝ďż ˝ďż˝(����꼳V]X��ڸ��E&ďż˝ y��n�������Zďż˝|$����� 5���&{��
Old 10-22-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Thanks, Starson17. The corrupt articles don't have squares in the Calibre viewer but are garbled text.
If you fetch the recipe several times, does the same article always have garbled text, or is it sometimes OK and another has problems?
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
Bullpeeper

I've noticed that a particular article will have garbled text one day and if that article happens to come down in the next day's feed as well, sometimes the text will be fine. I would say that it's different articles, but a day has to go by. If i fetch the same recipe in the same day, the same article will have garbled text ... thanks.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #7
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
I've noticed that a particular article will have garbled text one day and if that article happens to come down in the next day's feed as well, sometimes the text will be fine. I would say that it's different articles, but a day has to go by. If i fetch the same recipe in the same day, the same article will have garbled text ... thanks.
It sounds like they may be putting ads or something else into the feeds that interfere. You'll need to look closely manually to see if you can spot the difference. Once you know what it is, you may be able to remove it in the recipe.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
Bullpeeper

Got it, and thanks! When i use Calibre's basic method for creating a news source, by just pasting in the Dispatch's rss link, what fetching produces comes out as all of the text, but justified center. There are also java script and/or flash messages which seem to have something to do with ads at the beginning of many articles. If there are anti-ad recipe elements you know of, please post or link. I'm not a programmer but I'm picking up how some of this works just by comparing recipes that work well with mine that don't.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #9
Starson17
Wizard

I finally had time to look at this.
Most of your links from the RSS feed work normally, but occasionally a link like this:

Code:
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/10/24/an-illusion-of-treatment.html?sid=101
is sent off to a link like this:
Code:
http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/10/24/copy/an-illusion-of-treatment.html?adsec=politics&sid=101
resulting in the problems you see. (Don't you love the political ad season!)
This is done by adding a <meta http-equiv="refresh"> tag to the code.
Add this to your recipe to prevent it:
Code:
remove_tags.append(dict(name = 'meta', attrs = {'http-equiv': 'refresh'}))

Last edited by Starson17; 10-24-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Another way to do it is with

Code:
def get_browser(self):
   br = BasicNewsRecipe.get_browser(self)
   br.set_handle_refresh(False)
   return br
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #11
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Another way to do it is
Thanks! I didn't think of that option. For my personal reference, as I sometimes search here for bits of code I recall but can't find, there are other optional settings for Mechanize and a list can be found here:
http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/mechanize/
Old 10-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #12
Bullpeeper

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Another way to do it is with

Code:
def get_browser(self):
   br = BasicNewsRecipe.get_browser(self)
   br.set_handle_refresh(False)
   return br
Thanks -- and thanks for the creation of this software.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #13
Bullpeeper

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I finally had time to look at this.
Most of your links from the RSS feed work normally, but occasionally a link like this:

Code:
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/10/24/an-illusion-of-treatment.html?sid=101
is sent off to a link like this:
Code:
http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/10/24/copy/an-illusion-of-treatment.html?adsec=politics&sid=101
resulting in the problems you see. (Don't you love the political ad season!)
This is done by adding a <meta http-equiv="refresh"> tag to the code.
Add this to your recipe to prevent it:
Code:
remove_tags.append(dict(name = 'meta', attrs = {'http-equiv': 'refresh'}))
Starson17 - Greatly appreciate you taking a further look at this. I'm going to cut and paste your code or the code offered by kovidgoyal. This Calibre thing and the recipes for news sources is my favorite thing about my Kindle lately ...