Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
Romantic One
Banned
Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
What is the word on the ipad?

What is the word on the ipad is it worth the price and how is if for ebooks. I am anxious to see one but life in the midwest where nobody else ever gets new gadgets. Help me out I am interested in getting one but want to know how it compares to the kindle.
Romantic One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Personally, I think it is better than any e-ink reader I've ever used. I've never seen an actual Kindle so I can't comment on that one.

If you have a BestBuy in your area, they may have iPads.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Only you can answer the "worth it" question. I love mine which I use for much more than just reading books...like typing this post . I love it as a reader for everything but outside in full sun.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
We've only had ours in house for a few days. So far, I've not found I can concentrate reading on it as well as I can a Kindle. But it did take me a while before I became comfortable reading on my iPhone--and I still prefer e-ink. I'd expect that for some people (myself included), it's simply a matter of what you get used to.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Only you can answer the "worth it" question. I love mine which I use for much more than just reading books...like typing this post . I love it as a reader for everything but outside in full sun.

Lee
I wish more thought would be for readers in low light situations rather than full sun. Most people are more likely to be in low light (reading in bed is a perfect example) and reader manufacturers don't seem to take this into account .

I sold my e-ink reader because I got tired of needing a very bright light to read in bed. I also think my husband probably wanted to brain me with the lamp so he could sleep.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #6
Romantic One
Banned
Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks guys it looks like I will have to get an ipad as soon as possible.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
Kore
Enthusiast
Kore began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
In my opinion... an oversized iPod Touch.
Kore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:56 PM   #8
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kore View Post
In my opinion... an oversized iPod Touch.
Yep... as Hitler says in the video, "you can't even make phone calls with it."
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:14 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
I wish more thought would be for readers in low light situations rather than full sun. Most people are more likely to be in low light (reading in bed is a perfect example) and reader manufacturers don't seem to take this into account .

I sold my e-ink reader because I got tired of needing a very bright light to read in bed. I also think my husband probably wanted to brain me with the lamp so he could sleep.
Which is why I have two readers. One for each situation
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #10
Romantic One
Banned

Getting mixed emotions on the ipad making me debate it but I love apple products.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I tried out an ipad at Best Buy yesterday. I am not a big fan of either Apple or iTunes because they are such closed systems. That being said... it was WAY cool. You really can't appreciate it until you get your hands on one. It was heavier than it looks and the screen is beautiful. iBooks was nice and really fast. When you turn the page, the page flipping animation moves with your finger, not seconds later.

Now if I could only get my hands on an Archos 9 to try it out.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #12
Romantic One
Banned

Now I am leaning towards getting an ipad I have heard people say that the bulge on the back makes it a little difficult to type on does anyone have information on that?
Old 05-10-2010, 04:34 PM   #13
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
How easy is it to get books onto it? I have a huge library of non-drm Epubs. I currently use, and love, Calibre to get them to my Sony PRS505. I'd hate to lose the organizational functionality of Calibre, but I am drooling for an iPad.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #14
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
@edbro You just add the files to iTune with the import-a-file option. You can edit metadata in iTunes, add covers, set a catagory, etc. When you sync the iPad, you simply check the books you want added to iBooks - all or selected ones. I have 550 books on my iPad that got synched over in just a few minutes.
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #15
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
How easy is it to get books onto it? I have a huge library of non-drm Epubs. I currently use, and love, Calibre to get them to my Sony PRS505. I'd hate to lose the organizational functionality of Calibre, but I am drooling for an iPad.
Just drag them in to iTunes. If you don't have one already, a Books icon will show up below Music, Movies, TV Shows. Then plug in your iPad, and you can sync all or selected books. And then they will show up on your bookshelf in iBooks. I used Calibre to make sure the covers all showed up correctly.

(If you are an organization freak, it is kinda weird though, if you dig around in the iTunes Music Library, there they are, sorted by author, right mixed in with all your music artists. But Apple doesn't want you digging around in there anyways )
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote