Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 03:14 AM   #1
Guilgamm
Guilgamm began at the beginning.

Device: epub
Angry What a Calibred Mess

Everybody and their dog is raving about Calibre.
Indeed it is the best doc conversion software to be found, and it has an excellent reading interface. But here it ends.
As for the rest, it is catastrophic.
It would have been so simple, so obvious, to program this "book manager" as any library, book shop, librarian and book-lover classify their books and have been doing all over the world and in any language, that is to display titles starting with the surname, then the name, then the series if any, and then the title - with the article in its due place and not thrown out or at the end of said title.
In its marketing purpose, I suppose, to be original at all cost, now instead of having one document labeled according to basic logic, Calibre enables each user to set their own display system (Name, surname or surname, name, series, title with the article (The or A) at the end or before -- Series, title + article at the end or before, surname, name or name, surname -- Title, name, surname or surname, name, series… etc., etc., you see what I mean). Titles are chopped up in bits and the e-book seldom retains even its name proper in full. And I haven't mentioned missing spaces gluing words together and underscores.
What with all the e-book sharing going around, and everybody using Calibre, personal libraries have become an appaling mess, and duplicates, triplicates, a curse.
Thank you not, Calibre. Your book management defies reason and good sense and poisons our lives. For we can't help squandering a precious time trying to clean up this chaos.
Will you try to do something about it ??

Last edited by Guilgamm; 12-21-2012 at 03:49 AM.
Guilgamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:13 AM   #2
daveps
daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
If you don't like it don't use it.

No idea what you are doing but I don't have any book titles mangled in the manner you suggest. The display and sorting options are there for something called USER CHOICE.
daveps is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilgamm View Post
Everybody and their dog is raving about Calibre. Indeed it is the best doc conversion software to be found, and it has an excellent reading interface.
True.

Quote:
As for the rest, it is catastrophic.
Your catastrophic, is most folks flexible.

Quote:
It would have been so simple, so obvious, to program this "book manager" as any library, book shop, librarian and book-lover classify their books and have been doing all over the world and in any language, that is to display titles starting with the surname, then the name, then the series if any, and then the title - with the article in its due place and not thrown out or at the end of said title.
Even though the books in the library or book store are sorted by Surname/first name the author names on the books are usually first name/surname. Same for calibre, by default books are sorted surname/first name - but shown first name/surname

Quote:
In its marketing purpose, I suppose, to be original at all cost
This is just speculation that couldn't be further from the truth.

Quote:
now instead of having one document labeled according to basic logic, Calibre enables each user to set their own display system (Name, surname or surname, name, series, title with the article (The or A) at the end or before -- Series, title + article at the end or before, surname, name or name, surname -- Title, name, surname or surname, name, series… etc., etc., you see what I mean).
I see exactly, complete user flexibility.

Quote:
Titles are chopped up in bits and the e-book seldom retains even its name proper in full. And I haven't mentioned missing spaces gluing words together and underscores.
It sounds like you are comparing file names with metadata. The various devices have various needs for the user to be able to sort their files correctly.

Quote:
What with all the e-book sharing going around, and everybody using Calibre, personal libraries have become an appaling mess, and duplicates, triplicates, a curse.
What you say is true. If you stop "e-book sharing" you will minimize the chance of being exposed to this phenomenon.

Quote:
Thank you not, Calibre. Your book management defies reason and good sense and poisons our lives. For we can't help squandering a precious time trying to clean up this chaos.
It does take time to line up multiple libraries in exactly the way you wish.

Quote:
Will you try to do something about it ??
Calibre has already done something and provides all of the tools you need to manage these libraries. If you would like to suggest an enhancement to calibre go here, however if you prefer to complain, find a good soapbox and a busy corner and enjoy yourself.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:25 AM   #4
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
I think you may be missing the point. Calibre's library is what you see when you're using the program.

If the program chose to store its data in a single database you wouldn't be making this complaint, as multiple copies in different formats, or authors named slightly differently in the underlying paths wouldn't be visible. The fact that it stores its data in a readable file structure doesn't make that the library.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 12-21-2012 at 04:27 AM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:24 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
If it's bad for the low-life scum who steal e-books, then we should be thankful for it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
MooseFam5
Enthusiast
MooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Nook STR, Nook Tablet
Can't tell if trolling...

Seriously though, Calibre is the best library management and conversion software I've seen anywhere. I use Calibre over any eReader manufacturer's or third-party solution. When you also consider that Kovid makes this available at no cost Calibre is an even more amazing solution. (Incidentally, I've donated as an appreciation for how effective this program is.)

In any event, I doubt your post will be well-received here. I'd guess that most readers of this part of the forum are either supporters of the program or are coming here for help. (I've been both of those.) Considering Calibre is distributed free, the simplest option for those who don't think Calibre is effective would be to simply use something else.

If you're having difficulty making some aspect of the program work, I'd recommend posting a new message describing your issue. Folks here tend to be very helpful. I've learned a lot simply reading the posts.

Good luck to you!
MooseFam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
I've found Calibre to be incredible for organizing my eBooks and saving them exactly as I wish with the exact folder structure I wish on my readers. When I add a new book that I've purchased myself, it takes less than a minute to organize the tags and information to fit the rest of what I use. I don't add books en masse from questionable outside sources.

Do you somehow think that "real-life" book organization takes less time?
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
First post and this is what we get? I think it is a troll wishing us (grateful Calibre users) a good holiday season. Oh, as others have said, if you think it is a mess, just don't use it!

Oh, welcome to MR!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
First post and this is what we get? I think it is a troll wishing us (grateful Calibre users) a good holiday season. Oh, as others have said, if you think it is a mess, just don't use it!

Oh, welcome to MR!
Your measured response is a good lesson and something I should work to develop for myself.

Somehow I wonder if this is indeed a first post or just another "reincarnation".
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If it's bad for the low-life scum who steal e-books, then we should be thankful for it.
Given the millions of e-books out there that it is perfectly legal to share it seems a little harsh to jump to the conclusion you seem to have jumped to.

Having said that, I personally find Calibre to be an extremely useful product and I would not support the OP's sentiments in any way.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #11
country0129
Country0129
country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, PC
My Bible tells me....

to call no man a fool.

Who is this "person?" (you substitute fool if you dare!)

Free.

Multifunctional

Dynamic integration of multiple devices

Absolute ease of user interface

Multiple sources of community help

Multiple OS support

Wonderful people like Mr. Kovid and his peers

And this "person" complains about the program?

Why don't you, Sir, submit constructive suggestions to Mr. Kovid or the community and wait, see, how improvements are made with this wonderful program?
country0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #12
country0129
Country0129
country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't say.....

fool. So I shall remain silent against this "person" who has slighted our wonderful developers of this wonderful piece of, of ever evolving, software.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #13
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I think someone got their seasons wrong and released their inner troll instead of a friendly cute elf.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #14
country0129
Country0129

I'm sorry

Folks. I, too, wish all you a Merry, Wonderful, Prosperous, season of rejoicing for the reason we all exist. I love Calibre, but I love you all more. Merry Christmas, Happy Hannakah, and whatever else I've missed in ignorance of the season's greetings I wish to extend to all of you!
Old 12-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #15
country0129
Country0129

I'll

Shut up.

Now.

For now.