Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Kindle Christmas Explosion

Well, I had been successful in resisting the Amazon allure, but for Christmas our family received an incredible gift from some very good friends of ours. My wife and I, each got a new Kindle Touch and both our daughters got a Kindle Fire. It has been a very good Christmas.

ps I am typing this on my Touch.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
Nice gifts, Nice Friend, Merry Christmas & enjoy!
Edward_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
You got some nice gifts, and even better friends. Enjoy them both. Merry Christmas!
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #4
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
We are Kindlorg. Resistance is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.
==========
Welcome to the Collective from drone 253, secondary adjunct of Unimatrix 01. You have achieved perfection. Your friends must also be our drones.

Last edited by osnova; 12-25-2011 at 11:02 PM.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #5
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
Can your friends please adopt me?
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:03 AM   #6
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
==========
Welcome to the Collective from drone 253, secondary adjunct of Unimatrix 01. You have achieved perfection. Your friends must also be our drones.

I, for one, welcome our new Amazoogle Overlords.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:56 AM   #7
ScribeE
ScribeE began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Can anyone help please? My wifes Kindle will not operate the light cover bought for her for Christmas. the cover works with my Kindle so the problem apears to be with the Kindle any advice please.
ScribeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:43 AM   #8
jgumphress
Connoisseur
jgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
==========
That's great. I too am a drone. But I have been partially de-simulated. I love my K3 but also use an Acer Iconia Tab.
jgumphress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandD View Post
Well, I had been successful in resisting the Amazon allure, but for Christmas our family received an incredible gift from some very good friends of ours. My wife and I, each got a new Kindle Touch and both our daughters got a Kindle Fire. It has been a very good Christmas.

ps I am typing this on my Touch.
Welcome to the club. (or is that cult? )
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:32 AM   #10
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowseTheStacks View Post
Can your friends please adopt me?

I gave Kindle Fire's to my three grown kids for Thanksgiving/holiday presents.

And no, I'm not adopting anyone! I've got enough to deal with!
Old 12-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScribeE View Post
Can anyone help please? My wifes Kindle will not operate the light cover bought for her for Christmas. the cover works with my Kindle so the problem apears to be with the Kindle any advice please.
Call Kindle support. This is a known problem with the new lighted cover. It may be the cover or it may be the Kindle but no one has figured it out yet. Some K4\KTs will work and some wont. Kindle support will help you figure it out and see if anything needs to be exchanged.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #12
asciibaron
Connoisseur
asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle 4 NT SO
congrats. i bought my wife a Kindle 4 NT SO (non touch special offers) for Christmas and spent the day messing with it. i figured it was a simple device and would be right up her alley. well, after 5 hours of messing with it and Calibre, i went out on Monday and bought one for myself.

this device wants to be used - unlike my iPad that i use for couch surfing and half-hearted work emailing, i could never really get into using it as an ebook reader - the device is just wrong for that purpose.

who thought shades of grey would be so cool
asciibaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:39 AM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by asciibaron View Post
congrats. i bought my wife a Kindle 4 NT SO (non touch special offers) for Christmas and spent the day messing with it. i figured it was a simple device and would be right up her alley. well, after 5 hours of messing with it and Calibre, i went out on Monday and bought one for myself.

this device wants to be used - unlike my iPad that i use for couch surfing and half-hearted work emailing, i could never really get into using it as an ebook reader - the device is just wrong for that purpose.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #14
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Quote:
Originally Posted by asciibaron View Post

A lot of ipad owners have told me that the ipad is kind of ackward for the ereading. My mrs is attempting to use it as an electronic reader, when she gets fustrated enough I will probably give her my kindle keyboard which is really quite excellent at the job. I will probably upgrade myself to the touch version since I much preferr the touch over the dang keyboard which seems to be only a hinderance.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #15
asciibaron
Connoisseur
asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle 4 NT SO
the iPad falls short in three important ways compared to the Kindle 4 NT.

1 - screen glass glare - reading in a office setting is tough, but reading in sunlight, ugh!
2 - weight/form factor - the iPad is simply too heavy and too large to hold comfortably
3 - LCD fatigue - my eyes really start to bother me after 30 minutes of looking at the LCD.

a final, and very important issue is the inability to add a title to the collection from just about anywhere. i am in the IT industry and have to read a ton of white papers in PDF format. dropping them into Calibre, converting to MOBI and uploading them at the office onto the Kindle is as trivial as sending it an email.

getting the same PDF's on the iPad from a computer other than the one linked in iTunes requires some kludging to have them readily accessible. not a trivial matter at all.

Last edited by asciibaron; 12-27-2011 at 11:30 AM.
asciibaron is offline   Reply With Quote