Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Oyster: unlimited e-books for $9.95 a month, now live with invite (iOS)

A few months ago I signed up for alerts about the launch of Oyster, a Netflix-like reading service. It gives you access to an unlimited number of books for a monthly fee. Today I got an email announcing that the service is live for those with an invitation (those without can join the queue to receive one). You can access it at https://www.oysterbooks.com and there is some information about the launch at http://blog.oysterbooks.com/. It's an iPhone-only reading app for now, which is a bit of a curious choice.

Here's an overview of the service from GigaOm, which includes some interesting details: http://gigaom.com/2013/09/05/oyster-netflix-for-ebooks/
  • The service launches with 100,000 in-copyright ebooks (i.e., not free public domain stuff)
  • Publishers participating — making at least a few titles available, not their whole catalogs by any means — include HarperCollins, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Workman, Algonquin, Melville House, Rodale, Open Road, RosettaBooks, F+W Media and self-publishing distributor Smashwords.
  • Oyster wouldn’t get into details about how it’s compensating publishers and authors, and wouldn’t state whether newer, more well-known titles are getting better royalties than older ones.
  • With Oyster, after you add a book to your reading list, you can access it offline. You only need an internet connection to download new titles.
  • An iPad app is coming this fall
  • Oyster currently has no “concrete plans” to launch on platforms beyond iOS.

I've taken some screenshots of the website for those without invitations. I haven't yet had time to look at the app.

EDIT: Seems like the app is only available in the US iTunes store for now. A tweet from the developers reads, "No announced plans for expansion outside the US yet but it's definitely something we want to do."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kwLDf97.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	110455   Click image for larger version

Name:	mvFtxu4.png
Views:	718
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	110456   Click image for larger version

Name:	w6qfNGV.png
Views:	730
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	110457  

Last edited by holymadness; 09-05-2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: moved to frontpage
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
No iPad support is an automatic fail.

The iPhone app looks nice though.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
In other words, you won't be able to read on e-ink?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You should be able to use the IPhone App on the IPad. I have plenty of IPhone Apps I use on the IPad, there is a button you tap to enlarge it 2 times. Works like a charm

$9.95 a month seems to be a bit steep. I guess it depend on how many books you read in a month.

Last edited by ProfCrash; 09-05-2013 at 12:12 PM.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
You should be able to use the IPhone App on the IPad. I have plenty of IPhone Apps I use on the IPad, there is a button you tap to enlarge it 2 times. Works like a charm
This will be easier on iOS 7, but on the iPad Mini, you can open iPhone apps, but they're blurry. This has changed on recent betas of iOS 7, but not on iOS 6.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think if you read at least two books a month, you've easily gotten your money's worth. Maybe even one a month if you're reading biographies or histories that normally sell for over $10 on Amazon.

As with Netflix, the real selling point is convenience. It's probably not a great deal compared to library access to a huge Overdrive collection, or using coupons to get cheap books from Kobo, but it's much simpler.

Last edited by holymadness; 09-05-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
True and if there are a ton of book options it is probably worth it.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Hmm. Maybe I've been too spoiled by the extensive Overdrive selection of my local library, but to me $9.99 a month is way too expensive.

It's rare that Overdrive doesn't have what I want, it certainly happens less often than once a month, so it makes a lot more sense for me to just buy what I can't get from Overdrive. I'll still likely come out ahead compared to an Oyster subscription, and even if I were to go a couple of dollars over each year, I now own the books as opposed to just borrowing them.

If it was $9.99 a year, I'd join. I wouldn't pay a whole lot more than that though.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Interesting idea. My first instinct was to think that I'd feel guilty about reading anything that I didn't get through Oyster--like I would be wasting some of that $9.95 fee if I read something I already owned or got somewhere else. But then again ... I don't feel guilty when I watch something on TV other than Netflix. So there's that.

I guess the bottom line for me would be content. As long as I was finding stuff I truly wanted to read, and not just settling for something they had (because it was already "paid" for), I'd probably be OK with it. As long as I could bail out any time I wanted, that is.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Overdrive at my own library and also at FLP often won't have the particular cozies I like, and I'd be interested in checking this out if it wasn't limited to Apple. Since it is I guess for me it's a 'moo' point, as Joey on Friends would say.

Last edited by pendragginp; 09-05-2013 at 01:36 PM.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Only iOS? I don't see why this is something that could only be on iOS. It's not like it's a game or anything.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
No android ?

What year are these people living in ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmian View Post
Only iOS? I don't see why this is something that could only be on iOS. It's not like it's a game or anything.
Probably because they have limited development resources and the iOS ecosystem/infrastructure has the largest number of paying customers. Android is larger in total numbers but Android users are less inclined to pay for things.

Give them time, I'm sure that they'll produce apps for Android... that is if Oyster is still around by then.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #14
holymadness
Guru

Business reasons, not technical reasons. By only targeting one platform, you can have a smaller development team and keep costs down. When choosing which platform to target, iOS is the obvious favourite for maximizing return because iOS users earn and spend more money on average than Android/Windows Phone/Symbian users. They also pay the most for apps.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
But for books having an iPhone app and not an iPad app?? Really? It is impossibly for me to read anymore on my iPhone now that my eyes are middle-aged enough that I can't see text that small.

Not that I'm interested anyway, as I get more than enough to read between Overdrive and Baen, but still makes no sense to me.
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote