Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 06:26 AM   #1
las^se
las^se began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 - WiFi
Got my first Kindle - Screen defect

Hello,

I've got the Kindle 3 WiFi yesterday from Amazon.com, but there seems to be something wrong. A horizontal line approx. in the middle of the screen is partly showing all the time. It changes based on what the screen shows.

When the kindle is turned off, I clearly see the line as a bit "lighter" than the rest of the screen.

I have tested the Amazons support method by holding the slide button for 15 seconds, but it didn't help.

Since I live in Norway, I'm not used to the american consumer rights. What do Amazon do with it, and do I need to pay any fees or shipping to ship it back? I don't want to wait forever to get a replacement, so do they ship a new one before the old one is received back in the US?

Hope someone has some advice to give.

brgds,
las^se - a fresh kindle owner
las^se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:39 AM   #2
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by las^se View Post
Hello,

I've got the Kindle 3 WiFi yesterday from Amazon.com, but there seems to be something wrong. A horizontal line approx. in the middle of the screen is partly showing all the time. It changes based on what the screen shows.

When the kindle is turned off, I clearly see the line as a bit "lighter" than the rest of the screen.

I have tested the Amazons support method by holding the slide button for 15 seconds, but it didn't help.

Since I live in Norway, I'm not used to the american consumer rights. What do Amazon do with it, and do I need to pay any fees or shipping to ship it back? I don't want to wait forever to get a replacement, so do they ship a new one before the old one is received back in the US?

Hope someone has some advice to give.

brgds,
las^se - a fresh kindle owner
What a bummer! The good news is that when the kindle is repaired you won't have to pay VAT (moms) one more time, but the shipping costs are all yours (I'm not sure about return postage).

(That's the downside of importing things yourself).

Call them and get help troubleshooting first

Good luck !

Source: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200144500

Instructions. Please contact Customer Service for specific instructions about how to obtain warranty service for your Device:

In the United States: 1-866-321-8851
Outside the United States: 1-206-266-0927

In general, you will need to deliver your Device, postage paid, in either its original packaging or in equally protective packaging to the address specified by Customer Service. Before you deliver your Device for warranty service, it is your responsibility to backup any data, software, or other materials you may have stored or preserved on your Device. It is possible that such data, software, or other materials will be lost or reformatted during service, and we will not be responsible for any such damage or loss.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 06:49 AM   #3
las^se

Bummer :/

It doesn't really bother me that much, so if I have to pay that expensive shipping cost, I most likely wait to see if it get worse. It doesn't really show that much when reading, only in menues and pictures/screen saver.

Hope there is a way to fix it without sending it back though...
Old 09-01-2010, 06:51 AM   #4
Greenbeast
Greenbeast began at the beginning.

Device: K4, PW
I have the same issue (except there are 2 lines), i have yet to call CS
Greenbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:02 AM   #5
las^se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
I have the same issue (except there are 2 lines), i have yet to call CS
Sorry to hear that! Looking forward to hear the verdict after contacting CS.

- las^se
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Oh man !!??

Quote:
Originally Posted by las^se View Post
Sorry to hear that! Looking forward to hear the verdict after contacting CS.

- las^se
Hi SO sorry to hear that.
Live in Denmark and I was a bit worried about warranty etc.
So far I was lucky. No screen defects, rattle etc.
Hope it work out for the better for you.
Hej,
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Amazon Customer Service is outstanding. I've only had experience with US service but I strongly recommend you contact them even if you do not intend to return the device at this time. I've found that they are often willing to go beyond the terms of the warranty to satisfy their customers.

It doesn't hurt to ask.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Try Factory Reset first

First give the unit a full 3 hour charge.

Then press Home \ Menu \ Settings \ Menu \ Reset to Factory Defaults.

That may restore your screen if its a software problem. If its hardware, you will have to return it to Amazon.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
las^se

Oh JOY!

Amazon customer service is replacing my kindle free of charge.

I assume since it's a new device, it's better conditions for returning/replacing a defect kindle. I keep my current kindle until I receive the new one, and the new one will be loaded with all my purchased books from the kindle store.

If that isn't service, nothing are! I'm totally satisfied!
Old 09-01-2010, 03:25 PM   #10
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Talking

Their CS is pretty good most of the time.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
Greenbeast

well my replacement turned up but won't complete it's charge or turn on, so it'll be another call to CS and another replacement i guess.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
well my replacement turned up but won't complete it's charge or turn on, so it'll be another call to CS and another replacement i guess.
The unfortunate thing about Kindle replacements, even for brand new items, is that they reserve the right to send you a refurbished unit. So you might be getting someone else's returned item. I had to get two replacements for my K2 before I got one that was good. And after the first replacement didn't work well, I demanded a brand new unit rather than a refurbished one. It took a while to get them to do that, but eventually a higher level manager approved it.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #13
1Bookworm
Enthusiast
1Bookworm doesn't litter1Bookworm doesn't litter

Device: blackberry, laptop, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The unfortunate thing about Kindle replacements, even for brand new items, is that they reserve the right to send you a refurbished unit. So you might be getting someone else's returned item. I had to get two replacements for my K2 before I got one that was good. And after the first replacement didn't work well, I demanded a brand new unit rather than a refurbished one. It took a while to get them to do that, but eventually a higher level manager approved it.
Hi Jack,

Just curious but how can you tell whether it is refurbished unit or not? I've never bought a reader but I assumed that the packaging for the refurbished will be same as the new one if its from Amazon?

Thank you
Berny
1Bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:47 AM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I think it will be safe to assume () that las^se will receive a new, not refurbished Kindle. It's so early in K3's release that I doubt there are many returned units. Huge numbers of us are still waiting for ours (including me!).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #15
Greenbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I think it will be safe to assume () that las^se will receive a new, not refurbished Kindle. It's so early in K3's release that I doubt there are many returned units. Huge numbers of us are still waiting for ours (including me!).
i assumed as much, also surely if it had been refurbished someone would have actually tested it before sending it out again. i can understand a new one getting through the net because they don't run them all before first sending them out.