Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 12:53 AM   #1
Lianne
Nameless Being

Question Help: Updated to 0.7.12 and now cannot add single books

That's it. I updated today and all of a sudden when I try to add a single book the screen just gives a quick flash and does nothing.

Also realized I now cannot change cover images in metadata.

Last edited by Lianne; 08-04-2010 at 01:17 AM. Reason: New issue added
Old 08-04-2010, 01:26 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What version did you update from?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 05:21 AM   #3
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Almost the same happens here.

I can 'drag' a file to Calibre, that will add the book. But when I'm in the 'edit' screen I cannot use the add button. A short flash, and that is it. I use this way of adding sometimes when I get an upgraded version of a book. I delete all formats in the edit window and use add to get the new file in place. That will keep all the meta data.

I upgraded form version 7.10
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:51 AM   #4
RichieTheK
Enthusiast
RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 (2012), Samsung Galaxy Pro 8.4
I had the same problem since v 7.9 under Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit). It wasn't until I un-installed calibre and re-installed a newer version that the problem was solved. Apparently, an upgrade-in-place is not sufficient.
RichieTheK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
Almost the same happens here.

I can 'drag' a file to Calibre, that will add the book. But when I'm in the 'edit' screen I cannot use the add button. A short flash, and that is it. I use this way of adding sometimes when I get an upgraded version of a book. I delete all formats in the edit window and use add to get the new file in place. That will keep all the meta data.

I upgraded form version 7.10
You can try dragging the book to the edit screen window. I do it all of the time.

Update: When you're in the edit metadata window make sure you are clicking the red icon on the right and not the brown icon on the left.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-04-2010 at 07:17 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Do an uninstall, delete c:\Program files\calibre2 if it exists and reinstall and your problem should go away.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #7
Lianne
Nameless Being

I upgraded from 7.10.

I did not realize you could drag a file to Calibre, that worked easy. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:37 AM   #8
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Do an uninstall, delete c:\Program files\calibre2 if it exists and reinstall and your problem should go away.
I'll try to that later this week, I'm traveling now and dont want to 'risk' my installation because it is till working more or less.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #9
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
I understand <drag>, <copy>, <paste> obviously but...

Can someone say exactly how the drag a new book is done with Calibre please. Where is the book dragged or pasted to?
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:09 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
I understand <drag>, <copy>, <paste> obviously but...

Can someone say exactly how the drag a new book is done with Calibre please. Where is the book dragged or pasted to?

You drag or paste additional formats into the Titles "Available Formats" window (which might be empty, if you used the "Add Empty Book" feature from the main menu. )

If the format exists, it will be replaced.
No confirmation.
Title checking is not in force.
You can drop Book B into title G

This screen is the same place to delete a single format of a title.
You can also drag and drop new covers (onto the Book, covered or not)

A NEW title can be dragged or pasted anywher in the Book list, Calibre will add it (if at all possible).

Last edited by theducks; 08-05-2010 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Clarify
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You drag or paste additional formats into the Titles "Available Formats" window (which might be empty, if you used the "Add Empty Book" feature from the main menu. )

If the format exists, it will be replaced.
No confirmation.
Title checking is not in force.
You can drop Book B into title G

This screen is the same place to delete a single format of a title.
You can also drag and drop new covers (onto the Book, covered or not)
Further info - the "Available Formats" window opens when you select a book in the main GUI Book list, and press "E" to Edit metadata, or right click and select edit metadata, etc. As theducks says, in this window, you have absolute control, but have to be careful. Formats are overwritten (dragging in a pdf overwrites an existing pdf, etc.) regardless of the title.

Quote:
A NEW title can be dragged or pasted anywhere in the [main GUI] Book list, Calibre will add it (if at all possible).
This method provides some protection. It never overwrites a format. It may add the book to an existing record (if you have the "If similar author/title found ..." option turned on in Preferences) or it may offer to add the new book as a new record, or it may just do it automatically.

In each case it checks the title. With the option on, it checks for an exact match of the author, and a "similar" match for the title and adds the book to an existing record if there is a match. With the option off, it looks for an exact match of title (last I checked) and offers to create a second record for the exact match title (regardless of author), or merely adds the new title when there isn't an exact title match.

Basically, the option will let you drag a group of ebook formats into the GUI, and Calibre will sort them into existing records, or create new ones, as appropriate.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote