Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #16
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Here's Canti v1.7

New to version 1.7:
-Source files in zip/cbz format
Program can now process manga located in -parent_folder in .zip or .cbz format. You can also set -parent_folder to be a .zip or .cbz file.
Note that this will only process the images in the root of the archived file, so if you have an archive with multiple levels of subfolders then the images in those folders won't be processed.
-Delete output image folders after processing
This feature can only be used if:
  1. You output zip/cbz archives as these will allow the program to temporarily recreate the output image folders in case you need to process the same manga again (a big time saver)
  2. Binding (either through bind file or auto-binding) is disabled
This is set up in the .properties file.
-Pdf page/bind ordering from right to left
Orders the pages (and binds if you are using binding) from right to left, similar to a real manga book.

Enjoy and let me know if it works for you
Attached Files
File Type: zip Canti_v1.7_KDX.zip (41.1 KB, 287 views)
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:30 AM   #17
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Here's the features I'm working on for the next release of Canti:

-[coding completed] Improved intelligence of reprocessing manga
-[coding completed] Default .properties file generator
You specify what device you are using (kdx, k2, ipad) and the program will create a default .properties file for that device. This will include automatically finding your ImageMagick install directory, which is taking some time to program since it has to be able to handle different operating systems.

-Update-
I've made a lot of progress with the default .properties file generator. All that is left to do with it is handle auto finding the ImageMagick install directory. Starting tomorrow though I'll be working on migrating my system to the new Ubuntu so I'll be unable to program for a few days. Expect v1.71 to be released in about a week.

-Update 2-
I knew what I wanted to program and didn't want it looming in my brain while I waited for my new os to be set up, so I put in a lot of time today and finished v1.71 ahead of schedule.

Last edited by lilman; 05-25-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Advert
Old 05-25-2010, 05:55 PM   #18
lilman
Addict

Here's Canti v1.71

Special notice: The default ConvertManga.properties file will no longer be included when you download the program. Instead, you must create a default .properties file for your device/os using the new feature listed below. Make sure to make the default .properties file before processing any manga. Also make sure to read through the default .properties file and make any changes to match your individual needs.

New to version 1.71:
-Default .properties file creator
Will create a default ConvertManga.properties file for the device you specify.
This is run by calling: java -jar ConvertManga.jar -create_properties [device name]
Current list of acceptable [device name] values: kdx, k2, ipad
Note that this will attempt to determine your ImageMagick install directory based on what operating system your are using.
>For unix/linux or mac it uses default locations.
>For windows it will search "Program Files" directories of all local disks. You may have to manually correct this value if the program fails to find this install directory for you.
-Improved reprocessing intelligence
Verifies folders listed in progress.txt (i.e. the folders which were previously processed) and removes an entry if the folder no longer exists. Of course zip restoration is performed before verifying the progress folder in case you have del_output_image_folders turned on.
Also, zip restoration will only be performed on archives relative to the current processing (so if there are other archives in the ouput folder, Canti won't waste time restoring them).

Attached Files
File Type: zip Canti_v1.71.zip (50.0 KB, 296 views)

Last edited by lilman; 05-27-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #19
lilman
Addict

Here's Canti v1.72

New to version 1.72:
-.rar/.cbr support
Canti now supports .rar/.cbr input and output files.
Because rar is a proprietary format, Canti cannot simply read or write a rar file itself. It relies on your system having a rar handler already installed.

For unrar support, make sure you have installed one of the following:
  • For Linux/Unix: rar, unrar, unrar-nonfree
  • For Windows: WinRAR (installed to [drive_letter]:\Program Files\[folder with "rar" in its name, such as WinRAR]\)
  • For Mac: rar
For rar support, make sure you have installed one of the following:
  • For Linux/Unix: rar
  • For Windows: WinRAR (installed to [drive_letter]:\Program Files\[folder with "rar" in its name, such as WinRAR]\)
  • For Mac: rar
Note that the .properties file has changed. Instead of @zip and @zip_format, there is now @archive and @archive_format. @archive_format can be set to .zip, .cbz, .rar, or .cbr
-Archive input image folders
For a long time I've had my manga scans organized as image folders, but since Canti can handle input archive files I've added this new feature.
If it is enabled then all input image folders will be archived (using whatever format you set as archive_format, either .zip/.cbz/.rar/.cbr) and the folders will be deleted. This will keep the file system cleaner since it reduces thousands of image files to a collection of zip archives.
-Other tweaks
I don't remember all the little stuff I changed, just know that the latest release of Canti is always the best version to use.
To give you an idea of Canti's growth:
# lines of code in Canti v1.1a: ~1600
# lines of code in Canti v1.72: ~3900
Attached Files
File Type: zip Canti_v1.72.zip (56.1 KB, 282 views)
Old 06-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #20
lilman
Addict

-[coding completed] Various updates
Random things I want implemented, like restore archived input image folders, and fixing a problem where delete_output_image_folders leaves an output image folder or two (no idea why this is happening... it may be a Windows only problem).
-[coding completed] Auto split 2-page portrait scans
I've wanted this feature for a long time but it's been at the bottom of my todo list because it's tricky and I will have to write it from scratch. I think I will be able o implement this but it may take some time. If it works then it should be able to detect if the scan is really 2-pages (i.e. you lazy scanned the open book) but not split the page if it is one of those 2-page wide spreads.

That's about it. This should be the last Canti release as I have a new project coming up, so if you have any feature or bug fix requests let me know now.

-Update-
Mostly done with the various updates.
I have a good start on auto splitting 2-page portrait scans. I'm writing code to analyze a group of pixels and independently compare the rows and columns within a color threshold. I think this should allow me to find the two main tells of a 2-page portrait scan:
1) Big white column in the middle of the scan
2) Thin dark column border surrounded by white running down the middle of the scan (i.e. the shadow created by the page fold)

-Update 2-
Finished most of the coding for auto splitting 2-page portrait scans. I can't believe how well it works!... it is very good at telling which 2-page spreads should be split and which ones should be left alone (i.e. the 2-pages form a single image that is better to view as a whole). It's also incredibly fast and shouldn't impact processing time too much (less than a second per page analysis, I guess I could time it for a more accurate reading). All that is left is tweaking the parameters to get the split detection just right.

-Update 3-
Coding is done. I'll do a bit more testing and then release the new version.
Auto split pages is awesome!

Last edited by lilman; 06-18-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #21
lilman
Addict

Here's Canti v1.8

Biggest addition here is auto split 2-page portrait scans! I am so proud of this feature as it uses my own two-page detection algorithm, and it works correctly almost all the time on the manga I've tested. However, since I could only work on it based on tests of my own manga there is no guarantee it will work right for you. So if you give it a try and its accuracy sucks then let me know and I'll add in the ability for the user to tweak it. For now I've kept all two-page detection settings hidden so that the user doesn't have to worry about them.

New to version 1.8:
-Auto split 2-page portrait scans
If enabled then Canti will attempt to automatically split portrait scans that contain two pages into separate images. Canti will try to only split two-page portrait scans where the two pages don't form one giant image.
Note that this is not perfect... sometimes it will split scans which shouldn't be split or doesn't split scans that should have been split. It uses an algorithm which I came up with myself to try to detect the space between two pages in a scan. The algorithm isn't perfect, but it's fast and it works pretty damn well.
There are additional options that you can specify when using this feature:
@auto_split_r_first: This value determines if the right side of the image should come before the left side (like with manga books).
@allow_auto_split_color_scans: Allows or prevents the auto splitter from splitting color images. I've defaulted this to off since two-page color scans in manga usually form one giant image.
-Improved page ordering
Previous page ordering moved cover pages to the front and credits to the back (based on filenames).
Now also attempts to place inserts after the covers, checks if a cover is a back cover, and doesn't alter the ordering if the order is already forced through a number naming scheme.
-Unarchive input image folders
If enabled then any input image archive will be unarchived to a folder and then the archive will be deleted.
This value supersedes @archive_input_image_folders and is useful if you need to test individual images within an archive collection.
-Other tweaks
Too hard to remember everything, but as always the latest release of Canti is always the best version to use.

Attached Files
File Type: zip Canti_v1.8.zip (66.1 KB, 272 views)

Last edited by lilman; 06-19-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #22
lilman
Addict

Oops, very minor mistake in v1.8, so download v1.8a instead. Sorry about that.

New to version 1.8a:
-Fixed a minor mistake with auto split 2-page portrait scans.
I was splitting pages at the left edge of the detected page spacing instead of the center. This should make the x coordinate of page splits a few pixels better.
(I know, not a big deal... any split within the detected page spacing should be fine, but I'm a perfectionist :P)

Attached Files
File Type: zip Canti_v1.8a.zip (66.2 KB, 276 views)
Old 06-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #23
lilman
Addict

-[coding completed] Bug fix: Single folder mode doesn't work on a single file (only a single folder)
Wow, single folder mode was broken big-time if you specify a single file and not a single folder. Looking through the code I'm surprised it ever worked. I've already fixed the problem and will release the update soon... sorry about that.
-[coding completed] .pdf support for input
Canti already had .pdf support for output, but now it will also have .pdf support for input. This probably won't be used much for manga/comics, but it's useful if you have a pdf doc that you want trimmed or want some pages of it as images. Note that this feature works by converting each page of the pdf doc to individual images; thus, an output pdf will not have the ability to rescale font like you can with typical pdf files.

The new version of Canti will be released soon. I'm already starting my next project so I want to leave Canti in as final a state as possible. If you want any other features or have any bugs to report, let me know now.

-Update-
Coding and testing done. Fixed some bugs, added pdf input support (which works great... I already used it on a 150 page technical pdf to trim the margins. If you have an iPad you shouldn't need to use this since Goodreader has a manual crop feature, but for other readers it may be useful). I will wait a day or two before releasing the new update to see if there is anything else I want to add; after that, I'm moving on to a new project.

-Update 2-
Program is pretty much finalized. I'm working on a proper readme doc... better do that now since the program is still fresh in my head and I'll probably forget most of it when I start my new project. I've added default settings for a bunch of other ereader devices so I'll have to find a good place to upload the final program (no way I'm going into each ereader board to post this).

Expect a release in the next few days. It will be v1.81F, the F meaning that it should be the final release. Any further release after that is only if a bug is found or I add in functionality that I think is worth releasing to the public. But for the most part, I won't be working on this program anymore.

-Update 3-
I started making a proper doc for Canti and realized it was going to take a long time to do it right. I had a choice to make: work more on the code, or write a proper doc. I chose to work more on the code since that is more fun than technical documentation :P

Lots of updates in the final release of Canti. At this point I think I'm done with the coding, I just need to use it a while longer to make sure everything is working properly. Expect a release in the next few days.

-Update 4-
Final release is taking longer than I expected. The problem is I can't work on it every day, and the days I can work on it I can only get in an hour or two of programming/testing. Also, I keep coming up with features/improvements and I don't want to leave anything out of the final release. But no worries, the final release is coming... eventually

Last edited by lilman; 07-04-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #24
lilman
Addict

Still working on the final release of Canti (so much coding!), but I wanted to release this now. There is a bug in the previous releases of Canti that if you use @archive_input_image_folders using @archive_format .zip or .cbz on a Windows machine than the filenames of the images within the archives will have a \ placed at the beginning (for example, \01.jpg instead of 01.jpg). This bug has already been fixed in the final release of Canti, but I'm releasing this tool so that you can rearchive affected folders.

Just extract the program from the attached zip and run:
java -jar FixArchives.jar [path to folder containing affected archives]

For example:
java -jar FixArchives.jar C:\\Manga\\SchoolRumble\\

It will go through all the .zip/.cbz archives in the specified folder, unarchive them to temporary folders, fix the filenames, and then rearchive. Depending on how many archives you have in the specified folder it may take a few minutes for the program to complete.

It's kinda strange that this bug only occurred on Windows machines and only if you used @archive_input_image_folders (not sure why the output folder archives weren't affected). Anyway, sorry about that.
Attached Files
File Type: zip FixArchives.zip (17.9 KB, 254 views)
Old 07-06-2010, 04:32 PM   #25
lilman
Addict

Here's Canti v1.81F, most likely the final release

New to version 1.81F:
Note: The F stands for final, so this is probably the last release of Canti.
Also note that the jar has been renamed from ConvertManga.jar -> Canti.jar and the .properties file has been renamed from ConvertManga.properties -> Canti.properties
-Bug fix: Single folder mode doesn't work on a single file (only a single folder)
Wow, single folder mode was broken big-time if you specify a single file and not a single folder. Looking through the code I'm surprised it ever worked.
The problem was complicated but has been fixed... sorry about that.
-Bug fix: .bmp support fixed
.bmp support was always in Canti but Canti didn't know that .bmp was a valid image format. Now it knows, problem solved.
-Bug fix: Internal filename problem with .zip/.cbz archives
Files within .zip/.cbz archives had a filesystem separator char at the beggining of the filename (for example, \0000.jpg instead of 0000.jpg). I believe this bug only occurred on Windows machines, but it has been fixed.
-Bug fix: @del_output_image_folders didn't always work correctly in Windows
Sometimes in Windows if you enabled @del_output_image_folders, a folder or two would be left undeleted.
This bug was not my fault. The code was correct, but for whatever reason Windows has a problem sometimes with java deleting folders. I had to add in code to retry deleting output image folders if it fails the first time.
-.pdf support for input
Canti already had .pdf support for output, but now it also has .pdf support for input.
Note that this feature works by converting each page of the pdf doc to indvidual images; thus, an output pdf will not have the ability to rescale font like you can with typical pdf files.
-Improved auto sense suffix
Auto sense suffix can now handle hyphens in suffix (for example, Manga_Title_001-023) and spaces/underscores.
-Improved auto split 2-page portrait scans intelligence
Improved the page split detection algorithm by increasing the number of samples it uses to try to detect a page split (at a small cost to processing time).
Even if you have @auto_split_color_scans disabled it will still split scans that are half grayscale half color (because those are guaranteed not to form one giant image).
Added options to the .properties file to specify auto split grayscale and color strictness. These values will allow you to fine-tune the page split detection algorithm to your liking (so the user can make it easier or harder for a page split to be detected).
Added @auto_sense_portrait_scans to the .properties file to specify whether the page split detection should only be performed on folders in which most of the scans are portrait.
-Added default .properties profiles for more devices
You can always edit the .properties file for whatever ereader device you have, but I've added default profiles for the following devices:
B&N: nook
Sony: prs-900, prs-700, prs-600, prs-505, prs-500, prs-300
Default: default (used to make a default .properties file that you can modify if you use a device Canti doesn't have an optimized profile for)
-Set default manga_prefix in the .properties file
The value of -manga_prefix can still be set in the command line at runtime, but now you can also set a default @manga_prefix in the .properties file.
If you set @manga_prefix to "auto" then Canti will attempt to use the same -manga_prefix that you used previously for the current series. This only works if you are using the same output_folder and -title as before.
If you specify -manga_prefix at runtime then this value will supersede the one in the .properties file.

*phew* That was a lot of updates. Since this is the last release I wanted to get everything in there. Actually, there are a lot of features that I didn't get to program. If I get more time later, or if I ever release my own comic reader app, I will use Canti as a base and make it even more awesome. But for now I need to move on to a new project...

As always, enjoy and let me know if it works for you
Attached Files
File Type: zip Canti_v1.81F.zip (76.8 KB, 251 views)
Old 07-06-2010, 10:34 PM   #26
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
My sister would like to thank you for all the work you put into this.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #27
lilman
Addict

Ok, I can't believe I never caught this before, but the auto split portrait scans feature is named wrong... it's splitting landscape scans, not portrait. The code is correct, I just need to fix the naming. I'll upload the corrected code soon.

-Edit-
Here's the updated code. You will need to delete your old .properties file and make a new one since some of the variable names changed in there. But since no real code was changed there is no need to reprocess your manga.

Sorry for the confusion. Hopefully this will be the real final release :P
Attached Files
File Type: zip Canti_v1.81F2.zip (77.0 KB, 280 views)

Last edited by lilman; 07-07-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #28
lilman
Addict

I give up on saying a release is "final". I was reprocessing my entire manga collection and noticed some room for improvements (stability improvements... the basic alrogithms are not changing so don't worry about reprocessing your manga if you are already using the latest release).

Expect v1.82 soon (no "F") soon. I've already coded the improvements but will wait until I've tested it on my whole collection.

-Update-
I think I got everything working correctly in v1.82, but I'll let it finish processing my entire manga collection to make sure all is well. Expect a release in 2-3 days.

By the way, this program works great with a batch file. I wrote a batch file to process all of my manga series so that I can kick it off and let it run without having to babysit it. Just create a .bat (or .sh for linux) with each Canti command on a separate line. For example:

Contents of process_all_manga.bat (which is in the same directory as Canti):
java -jar Canti.jar -parent_folder C:\\Manga\\MahouSenseiNegima!\\ -title "Mahou Sensei Negima!" -manga_prefix "Ch."
java -jar Canti.jar -parent_folder C:\\Manga\\SchoolRumble\\ -title "School Rumble" -manga_prefix "Ch."

Last edited by lilman; 07-13-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #29
lilman
Addict

Here's Canti v1.82

Note from the author: I tested this version on my entire digital manga collection, so I can confirm this is a very stable release.

New to version 1.82:
-Improved image handling stability
ImageMagick is a whole lot better at handling images than native Java libraries, so I've added in a preprocessing stage to let ImageMagick fix any weird data within images before letting Java take a whack at them.
Currently, Java image handling is only used for landscape 2-page split detection. In case Java still has trouble interpreting an image after ImageMagick has processed it, Canti will simply ignore trying to split that scan (in the past, Canti would have crashed).
-Bug fix: @del_output_image_folders didn't always work correctly in Windows
Geez, I thought I fixed this before, but it still occasionally fails to delete an output folder on Windows machines. I added in one more layer of defense. After that, if there is still a folder left in the output directory, you can delete it yourself :P
-Improved auto sense suffix
I changed the naming scheme of auto sense suffix to make it better able to handle reprocessing a manga series.
Before, auto sense suffix would expand all suffix names to match the length of the longest suffix. For example:
Random_Manga_-_Ch.001 <-- added two extra 0's to match longest length of three
Random_Manga_-_Ch.015.5 <-- added an extra 0 to match longest length of three (decimal and characters after the decimal don't count towards length)
Random_Manga_-_Ch.100 <-- longest length (three characters)
Although this makes the filenames line up nicely, it can be a problem if you add manga to your collection and the longest suffix length changes.
The new auto sense suffix method is to make each suffix as short as possible. For example:
Random_Manga_-_Ch.1
Random_Manga_-_Ch.15.5
Random_Manga_-_Ch.100
In this way, if the length of the longest suffix changes, the filenames will not be affected (and thus you won't have to worry about reprocessing the same manga using a different name).

If you want to fix the suffixes of manga processed with previous version of Canti to match the new naming scheme, you can use the attached FixSuffixes tool. Just run:
java -jar FixSuffixes.jar [path to processed manga folder]
For example:
java -jar FixSuffixes.jar C:\\Manga\\SchoolRumble\\
Will only take an instant to rename all the files in the specified folder to the new naming scheme.

-Edit-
For people who downloaded this soon after it was posted, I had to reupload Canti because I had left in a possible divide by 0 (it's a case that would almost never happen, but still good to fix that possibility). Please redownload v1.82... sorry about that.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Canti_v1.82.zip (78.6 KB, 258 views)
File Type: zip FixSuffixes.zip (18.7 KB, 233 views)

Last edited by lilman; 07-14-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:58 AM   #30
opticalsky
opticalsky began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I'm getting this error. I'm not sure what it means. This is what I get when I try running this on my OS X. So far I've been having to reboot into XP every time I needed to convert a manga.

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
at common.utils.ExtFilter.isValid(ExtFilter.java:102)
at common.utils.ExtFilter.isValid(ExtFilter.java:120)
at common.utils.FileUtils.getZipFileList(FileUtils.ja va:134)
at manga.ConvertManga.main(ConvertManga.java:1329)

It stops right after it says this ^.

On another note, I should say an option where you can have subfolders apart of ONE pdf file would be nice. I have zips of manga but in each zip the chapters that comprise of one volume would all be separated into different subfolders. This results in the program making a separate pdf for each subfolder; this can be a hassle when its just better to have one file that contains all the chapters in the volume. (which makes up the volume).

Last edited by opticalsky; 07-16-2010 at 01:19 AM.
opticalsky is offline   Reply With Quote