Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
gdaydigger
gdaydigger began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Can't upload some books to paperwhite via Calibre

I've read other similar posts on this forum and have tried everything without success. Here is what is happening: I have 10 non-drm books that are not showing up on my Kindle paperwhite's homescreen even though I can see they are on the device when I open file explorer. Calibre also indicates they are on the device. I have deleted the unindexed queue on my device, reconverted the offending ebooks to both mobi and azw files, and tried uploading them one by one, but still they do not show up. The books are not corrupted as I can read them when I open them in calibre or when I click on them via file explorer. I would be grateful for any advice. This is driving me absolutely nuts.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-17-2013 at 04:37 PM. Reason: spelling of calibre corrected
gdaydigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@gdaydigger-
After reconverting the books (correct thing to do!), do the books actually finish indexing when you reload them?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
One of the books on the device is "broken" and prevents all others from showing up. Or, more exactly: the FW is too picky and breaks, thus not showing all books. Search this forum for "books not showing up" or similar, you'll find many reports of the issue.

The solution is to delete all books from the device, and slowly putting them back in small batches until it breaks, so that you can ultimately determine which book causes the trouble. Usually, converting that book again in calibre (even from mobi to mobi) fixes the issue.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
gdaydigger

Thank you for your comments. For some reason the indexing never seems to finish. I always have 280+ books still to be indexed (it shouldnt take 3 days to index these or should it?). I struggle to believe that the dud ebook is among the 350 already on my device -- if it was, why has 'it' chosen now to stop new books from being uploaded? The thought of deleting all my books (which are all organised into collections) and uploading them again fills me with horror. Come on Kindle techies - please give me some other alternatives!

BTW, I am assuming this is not a Calibre problem but perhaps it is??
Old 09-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
This is the only known alternative. And it's a Kindle problem. Call Amazon CS and complain to them.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@gdaydigger-
Are you trying to add several hundred books at one time? Bad idea. As ixtab already suggested, add the books in small increments and wait for them to index. When you get to a group that doesn't finish indexing, it is likely that the 'broken' book is within that group. Work through them one at a time until you find the problem book file. By the way, you may well have more than one 'broken' file. The books that are already on your Kindle and have fully indexed are probably fine...look at the ones not showing up.

After running into this problem myself, I never add more than 10-20 books at a time and always wait for them to finish indexing and appear on my Kindle before adding more.

I am not aware of any short-cut to this process. Good luck!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
I had the same problem, and solved thanks to the advice I received in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222167

I've deleted the file /var/local/cc.db using KindleExplorer (KUAL app), restarted the device and all the books appeared then.

But pay attention: if you don't backup your collections you will lose them (not the books inside, the collections only)

Last edited by Aeris; 09-17-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
gdaydigger

Thanks all. Any foolpriof advice on backing up collections?

Tags
calibre, kindle, paperwhite, problem, upload