Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #31
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I would not be surprised to find that this is one of several new readers.

<pure speculation> If the Touch is pretty much discontinued in terms of manufacturing, we would have the Glo we all know, then this higher end (in terms of finish and battery size, and perhaps memory, screen resolution etc) 6 inch, and the Aura (which could be revised with a different back, I suppose), and the mini (which is ripe for getting a light, if nothing else).</pure speculation>

Kobo new devices have been missed by the FCC watchers before.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #32
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I would not be surprised to find that this is one of several new readers.

<pure speculation> If the Touch is pretty much discontinued in terms of manufacturing, we would have the Glo we all know, then this higher end (in terms of finish and battery size, and perhaps memory, screen resolution etc) 6 inch, and the Aura (which could be revised with a different back, I suppose), and the mini (which is ripe for getting a light, if nothing else).</pure speculation>

Kobo new devices have been missed by the FCC watchers before.
I would say that it is a replacement for both the Touch and Glo.
A don't know about the smaller Mini but it is currently heavily discounted/on sale. So my guess would be that they are trying to sell the available stock.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #33
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I would say that it is a replacement for both the Touch and Glo.
I think we could end up with the Glo, this new one, a refreshed mini, and maybe a refreshed aura. The one that woujld not continue in any form is the Touch. My thought is that the new one will be a more expensive build. We know that it has a better battery and various other improvements. Remember--all this is speculation. Both the Touch and mini have been marked "final" at Staples Canada in the past few months.

It's interesting that the ARC tablet is being discounted $100. Not an eink device, butit makes me wonder if we won't see a new tablet.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #34
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Lighted mini = take my money. I am not interested in any other.

I take that back. If they release a lighted Kobo with a faster processor and 8gb internal memory, I'm there. No matter what size.

Last edited by booklover6; 07-24-2013 at 08:16 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #35
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
That reviewer sure seemed to dislike the Aura HD. I've spent over 100 hours reading on mine and I like the shape and balance very much. It's the only eReader I've had that I could hold without needing a cover. However, I did put a clear Skinomi skin on it to protect the finish. It's not slippery that way either.

This new Kobo looks very interesting but I do hope they continue a model with the larger screen. The Aura is a remarkable eReader.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #36
manfred63
Connoisseur
manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Like it or not but the polished metal front and the textured backside look awesome.
manfred63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #37
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Wouldn't surprise me if the front is smooth now. Kobo's next step forward is to move towards capacitive touch instead of IR. Would definitely improve the experience on a touch-based device.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:15 AM   #38
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Interesting. I thought it looked like a one piece glass layer across the display, but in other images it appears to have a slight shadow indicating a recessed screen surface, so I'm firmly undecided. Frankly, depending on the source and age of the images they could be from a couple of slightly different engineering samples or even mockups. Maybe they've kicked around both types of screens? I might if I had the engineering budget. There is something interesting about playing with alternatives and often much to be learned in the process. I certainly wouldn't have anything against the idea of an e-ink based unit with a capacitive screen maybe also able to run android or Linux apps, as long as the display quality is uncompromised.

Last edited by TechniSol; 07-25-2013 at 03:18 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #39
benjamin11900
benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: none
Something that might appear stupid for some people, but why would they put the "Kobo" logo on the left ?

That looks terrible and I can't see anything else than that when I look at the pictures. This is probably something that would distract me if I was reading on this device.
benjamin11900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #40
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does a metal bezel have any useful function, or is it just cosmetic? I thought it would cause problems with reflections.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #41
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Does a metal bezel have any useful function, or is it just cosmetic? I thought it would cause problems with reflections.
Pure cosmetics, offcourse. Just as many television sets have platic bezels with a metal look brush.
Maybe a silver edition is coming a which gives a nice aluminium look.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #42
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I wish Kobo would stop placing on/off switch so close to corner of reader.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #43
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
In this picture...
Looks like all front are under a crystal, same as tablet. Don´t you think it?
For me, it looks like a picture taken from behind a glass, thus the same-level effect. But who knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
A don't know about the smaller Mini but it is currently heavily discounted/on sale. So my guess would be that they are trying to sell the available stock.
I agree. In France, the Mini accessories are sold at about 70% off. When the stores want to get rid of the cases and the backs, it's not to stock on the same ones later on.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #44
Anak
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin11900 View Post
Something that might appear stupid for some people, but why would they put the "Kobo" logo on the left ?

That looks terrible and I can't see anything else than that when I look at the pictures. This is probably something that would distract me if I was reading on this device.
I don't think it will be a distraction for me. That is where I place my left thumb to hold the device. Even if you use the side bezels to hold it, most people will at least partly block the corporate logo with their hand. It is an odd branding position.

Last edited by Anak; 07-25-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #45
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin11900 View Post

If you were meaning your question might appear stupid, benjamin, then no, not at all.

It looks like one of those design-for-design's-sake decisions, I'm thinking. Me, I don't mind the look of it, since I quite like asymmetry, but isn't any case for this reader going to cover it up anyway? So why bother branding it at all?
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote