Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
chrisparker
Connoisseur
chrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: iPad Air 4, iPad mini 5, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Nook ST Glowlight
International Users

Just picked up a Nook STR at B&N Georgetown DC. I already had a B&N account so it registered straight away in the store. Later, back in the hotel, I tried to buy a book and, not surprisingly, it asked for my cc registered address, adding "it must be an address in the US."

So I added my UK address, it accepted it, and allowed me to continue and purchase the book, which appeared a moment later on the Nook.

The system may have looked at the IP address and and allowed the purchase because I'm in the States. I'll try it again when I'm home and report back.

Anyway, this may encourage other non-US residents to buy the Nook STR on their next visit to the States.

Chris
chrisparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Well, itseems to me like the IP is what matters when buying books. I have a (legit) US address on my account. I can buy books when in USA but not when I'm in Europe.
I can download book already in my account library wherever I am.
(Other things, like covers, I can buy wherever I am and have delivered to my US address.)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
Just picked up a Nook STR at B&N Georgetown DC. I already had a B&N account so it registered straight away in the store. Later, back in the hotel, I tried to buy a book and, not surprisingly, it asked for my cc registered address, adding "it must be an address in the US."

So I added my UK address, it accepted it, and allowed me to continue and purchase the book, which appeared a moment later on the Nook.

The system may have looked at the IP address and and allowed the purchase because I'm in the States. I'll try it again when I'm home and report back.

Anyway, this may encourage other non-US residents to buy the Nook STR on their next visit to the States.

Chris
When you are at home just install a VPN like Hotspot Shield (free) or alwaysVPN ($8.50) on your PC, than you can use the B&N website to buy e-books.

It used to be that you needed to register a fake US billing address to be able to buy e-books. But someone else on a Dutch forum also mentioned that he used a non-us billing address without a problem. So perhaps this has changed.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:59 AM   #4
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
Is it possible for EU residents to order a Nook Touch directly at B&N at $139 (and free shipping)? (I can otherwise buy one through a Dutch reseller but the price almost doubles)

Will it read my un-drm'ed epubs (guess so) without problem?
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbosch View Post
Is it possible for EU residents to order a Nook Touch directly at B&N at $139 (and free shipping)? (I can otherwise buy one through a Dutch reseller but the price almost doubles)

Will it read my un-drm'ed epubs (guess so) without problem?
You can order a Nook directly at B&N.
- Get a US mail forwarding address from Borderlinx or USunlocked. I use Borderlinx myself. Borderlinx also has a shipping calculator to calculate the total cost of your order (including shipping, VAT and Customs duty).
- Register your B&N account with this address as shipping and billing address. The billing address is not checked, so you can use your non-US credit card. See my post #3 in this thread: some people claim a non-US billing address will also work now.
- Install a VPN like Hotspot Shield (free) or AlwayVPN ($8.50) on your PC.
- To order a Nook first start the VPN. When the VPN is active buy the Nook (it is also a good idea to buy a cover).
At least with USunlocked it is possible you get an e-mail to phone B&N customer service to verify that you know there are restrictions outside the US. This did no happen to me with Borderlinx.

The Nook supports un-drm'd epubs, epubs with Adobe DRM (like those sold in the Netherlands), and epubs with B&N DRM.

If your B&N account is registered with an US shipping and billing address, you can use the VPN to buy B&N ebooks from the B&N website on your PC. You can use the Wifi of the Nook to download the books.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
If I want to avoid installing software on my PC, is it still possible to buy a book using a https-proxy?
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook str