Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #31
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I TOTALLY agree with kennyc here!

Write with whatever font that is most readable to YOU, and with whichever word processor is most comfortable to you. Everyone's going to stick up their nose if you say you write with Comic Sans, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it if it helps you be able to go through your work better.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #32
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I use Times New Roman, what do you use....
Wow, really? That's pretty amazing! I never actually thought of doing that. Do you prefer 10 points size? Or eleven? What about this font face is it that stimulates you? You might really be onto something here!

Personally, I think I enjoy my font slightly larger so that there's more text on the screen. That gives me a sense of accomplishment and prevents writing depression. Sometimes when I feel really cheeky (and no one is watching), I'll even make it all bold! That adds a visual punch to my writing, and I don't know, I think it makes my stories more powerful!
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #33
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I think kennyc misses the point. If someone is working with a particular word processor and not quite satisfied with it, this sort of discussion could be helpful.

Font choice may be helpful for older or handicapped eyes as well.

There can also be a conflict between two drives here. I prefer to write on paper, but I do NOT prefer to have to type it all in again. Everyone's mileage is guaranteed to vary.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #34
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
No, I do not miss the point. Think whatever you want but don't attribute it to me.

Sure font choice can make a difference if you have bad eyes etc. but what font YOU use has no relevance to MY bad old pitiful eyes or to my story, article, essay or poem.

Just back from my lunch-time walk/break from writing and I found a full-grown Swainson's Hawk sitting on my woodpile. Should I write about it in Times New Roman 12 point or Courier Bold?

Last edited by kennyc; 09-23-2013 at 02:46 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #35
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
Wow, really? That's pretty amazing! I never actually thought of doing that. Do you prefer 10 points size? Or eleven? What about this font face is it that stimulates you? You might really be onto something here!

Personally, I think I enjoy my font slightly larger so that there's more text on the screen. That gives me a sense of accomplishment and prevents writing depression. Sometimes when I feel really cheeky (and no one is watching), I'll even make it all bold! That adds a visual punch to my writing, and I don't know, I think it makes my stories more powerful!
Advert
Old 09-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #36
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Kenny, why are you reading this thread? Seriously... if this is a waste of your time, then stop wasting it.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #37
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Kenny, why are you reading this thread? Seriously... if this is a waste of your time, then stop wasting it.
I'm only here to help. Do you want to Write or discuss No. 2 pencils?
Old 09-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #38
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Honestly, I find threads like these helpful. If you don't.. then don't read them. Seems simple enough. There are plenty of threads I do not bother to read for that very reason (I have nothing to add to thread, or to gain form it, so I move on).
Old 09-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #39
kennyc

Honestly, what the fu.... relevance does the font you use have to do with writing?

It doesn't. I'm pointing it out. It's a totally irrelevant thing to be discussing in regard to writing. If you don't like my saying so, just ignore me.

On the other hand if you can point out to me what I'm missing, why the font I choose or you choose is relevant to my writing then I'm all ears. Please show me the error of my ways.

I find the obsession of some people on irrelevant trivial details so annoying that I feel compelled to point out how nonsensical it is.

Like I said, I'm here to help, to guide, to offer what little wisdom I have from being involved in this writing game for a quarter century or so.

Last edited by kennyc; 09-24-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #40
kennyc

You'll also note that we are on page 3 of this 'discussion' and the O.P. is yet to reply to anything. Hmmm....wonder what that says?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #41
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
You'll also note that we are on page 3 of this 'discussion' and the O.P. is yet to reply to anything. Hmmm....wonder what that says?
I was marveling at your comments.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #42
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Oh, oh, oh. Pick me, pick me. I know this one. No. 2 pencils! Right?

I use TNR in my writing, as I said, pretty much because I always have (for other reasons), rather than through deliberate choice (for my writing). This thread does highlight/remind me of the fact that, since the font I use for writing has nothing to do with the publication, I could actually look around for alternatives. But anyone that's looked at fonts knows there are thousands to choose from, so I could waste a huge amount of time looking for something that's easier on my aging eyes, OR I might get some useful suggestions from a thread like this one.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #43
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Oh, oh, oh. Pick me, pick me. I know this one. No. 2 pencils! Right?

I use TNR in my writing, as I said, pretty much because I always have (for other reasons), rather than through deliberate choice (for my writing). This thread does highlight/remind me of the fact that, since the font I use for writing has nothing to do with the publication, I could actually look around for alternatives. But anyone that's looked at fonts knows there are thousands to choose from, so I could waste a huge amount of time looking for something that's easier on my aging eyes, OR I might get some useful suggestions from a thread like this one.

Nope remember since KENNY does not find this thread useful to HIM , there is NO WAY it could be useful to YOU. So forget that idea.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #44
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Word 2002 (just never updated it, and it works fine), because Word does far more than most people realise, and I just LOVE the outline view.

Font: Sylfaen
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #45
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I think the choice of font is subjective and there are many good choices. what surprises me is that everyone chooses to write on a white background. For me this is like reading on a light-bulb.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote