Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #31
Baumi
Connoisseur
Baumi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Baumi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Baumi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
That's kind of how I felt about the latest Star Trek film (the one with the all new cast).
Wasn't a big fan of the new Trek film, either, but it was okay - mainly because at least it felt like a movie, whereas most of the previous films were more like drawn-out TV episodes.

Quote:
As someone else pointed out, Child never worked in law enforcement. Perhaps if he had that first-hand experience the story line would have been more believable; but it was still a heck of a lot of fun, IMO.
I think it's not as much about accuracy as it is about consistency and believability. (Is that even a word?) I'd be willing to believe that for some reason (over-eager boss, recent inspection, whatever) the police in a small town would be really well-trained. I'd also believe the opposite, since it's more in line with the image of small-town police I'd expect. The trouble starts when the author wants me to believe both concepts at the same time without explaining or even acknowledging the contradiction.

And most of my problems weren't really about bad research but rather about lazy writing and plotting. I may be able to ignore that in TV and movies to a certain extent, but for some reason I can't do it in books. Probably because a book requires me to invest some energy and imagination, whereas TV only requires me to sit still and watch. (*) If I need to bring something to the plate myself, I expect more from the other side, as well.

(*): There are, of course, many really intelligent, well-written and though-provoking TV shows out there, as well. It's just that I find it easier to tolerate bad writing on TV than in a book.
Baumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:18 AM   #32
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baumi View Post
I think it's not as much about accuracy as it is about consistency and believability. (Is that even a word?) I'd be willing to believe that for some reason (over-eager boss, recent inspection, whatever) the police in a small town would be really well-trained. I'd also believe the opposite, since it's more in line with the image of small-town police I'd expect. The trouble starts when the author wants me to believe both concepts at the same time without explaining or even acknowledging the contradiction.

And most of my problems weren't really about bad research but rather about lazy writing and plotting. I may be able to ignore that in TV and movies to a certain extent, but for some reason I can't do it in books. Probably because a book requires me to invest some energy and imagination, whereas TV only requires me to sit still and watch. (*) If I need to bring something to the plate myself, I expect more from the other side, as well.

(*): There are, of course, many really intelligent, well-written and though-provoking TV shows out there, as well. It's just that I find it easier to tolerate bad writing on TV than in a book.
I'm just about done with this, and I kind of have the opposite thing in mind. I do believe that this was really well written. I can believe that small town cops can be good and bad in their training because of certain circumstances, they are good at what they do, but not good when extra-ordinary circumstances take place.

But I read these like they are a long movie. I'm already gathering the next few books together to read.

The only time I haven't been able to really forgive something was in MEG

**END OF BOOK SPOILERS**

The end of the book featured the main character getting swallowed hole in a submersive by the megalodon....climbing out of the submersive, and cutting it's heart out from the inside.....really??? The rest of the book was top notch entertainment though.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 05:45 PM   #33
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Did anyone see Castle last night? Similar plot between Killing Floor and the new Castle episode.
After reading your comment, I decided to watch that Castle episode last night. I couldn't see any similarity with "Killing Floor" ... until the counterfeit bills showed up in the last 10 minutes of the show.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #34
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I finally finished this book and read the thread. I agree with what most said here.. it was a good read, a page turner... however some aspects of the plot were a bit contrived.

I know the rich like to get richer... but why would a guy that can amass 14million in cash bother with counterfeits. Unless he bought all the 1s with counterfeits.

Yes, the mounds of loose cash was just silly. Banks wrap ones in $100 bands and they are put in money bags. Or bigger quantities are put on pallets wrapped with shrink.

I rated this on 3.5 on LibraryThing.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #35
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I know the rich like to get richer... but why would a guy that can amass 14million in cash bother with counterfeits. Unless he bought all the 1s with counterfeits.
My impression was that was exactly what they were doing.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #36
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I've just finished Killing Floor. It was a good read and I will definitely read more of the Jack Reacher series. He reminds me of Travis McGee, in his loner, drifting, indestructible, smarter-than-everyone-else way. All in a good way.

I would say that the coincidence of stumbling into this tiny town within 8 hours of his brother having been killed in it, and being accused of the murder, put a big damper on the story however. I kept hoping for an explanation - e.g. he'd very recently talked to his brother and the Blind Blake name came up because Margrave was in the brother's mind. But no. Pure coincidence. It seems to me it didn't have to be quite so random and still be the same story.

Smaller coincidence was the fact that the FBI agent that Finlay, the new "Chief of detectives" had known since childhood, was involved in the scheme. I could live with that one however, as he was the FBI agent assigned to the town. You have to have the unexpected bad guy in a story like this. I really thought it would be Roscoe, as she was local; plus knowing Reacher was a series character, already described as a loner and drifter, there had to be some reason he couldn't stay with Roscoe for 11 books.

I have a question. I must have missed something critical in the plot (well, critical in the Hitchcockian "MacGuffin" way) - what was going to explode on Sunday? As far as I could tell, the coast guard patrol was being relaxed and the warehouse could slowly be emptied, as it had gradually been filled over the past few months. What was the specific deadline that was going to be such a big deal that Hubble described in the jail? It didn't seem like it was going to be anything more than a slow leak as opposed to a dam break.

(and if you're doing gender calculations, F here)
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #37
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
I have a question. I must have missed something critical in the plot (well, critical in the Hitchcockian "MacGuffin" way) - what was going to explode on Sunday? As far as I could tell, the coast guard patrol was being relaxed and the warehouse could slowly be emptied, as it had gradually been filled over the past few months. What was the specific deadline that was going to be such a big deal that Hubble described in the jail? It didn't seem like it was going to be anything more than a slow leak as opposed to a dam break.

Sunday was the day the increased Coast Guard patrols would be stopped... so they could start shipping the ones out again. I assume they had dozens of trucks and boats scheduled to do the bulk, if not all of it that day.

Although I don't see how with cash piled loosely and a few guys. Did they ever hear of money bands, pallets and forklifts?

BOb
Old 10-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #38
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
First time a book club thread's come up that I've actually read. It's been ages since I read this (paper version before ereaders!) but i've been reading the rest of the series over the last few years as they come out. (the epub prices for them seem very high!

There are two things I don't like about the JR books - one the police always seem happy to have his help, yeah we'll tell you all the details, you can give us a hand, no problem. And the other is the way all the women just jump into bed with him. It just seems really odd, they end up with no personalities, just more bed fodder for Jack.

But I like the action, I like the tension and the just about belivable plots Jack gets into. I like his deductive processes - he's not perfect and does make mistakes, but can you spot them?

Not all the JR books are sucesses though, some are better than others.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #39
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sony_fox View Post
First time a book club thread's come up that I've actually read. It's been ages since I read this (paper version before ereaders!) but i've been reading the rest of the series over the last few years as they come out. (the epub prices for them seem very high!

There are two things I don't like about the JR books - one the police always seem happy to have his help, yeah we'll tell you all the details, you can give us a hand, no problem. And the other is the way all the women just jump into bed with him. It just seems really odd, they end up with no personalities, just more bed fodder for Jack.

But I like the action, I like the tension and the just about belivable plots Jack gets into. I like his deductive processes - he's not perfect and does make mistakes, but can you spot them?

Not all the JR books are sucesses though, some are better than others.
Women jump into bed with men all the time in movies, and police being helped seems to happen all the time too, so why not in books?

I guess I view it much differently. I expect to read these like I'm watching a movie, and for the most part, that's how it plays out LOL.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #40
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
I've just finished Killing Floor. It was a good read and I will definitely read more of the Jack Reacher series. He reminds me of Travis McGee, in his loner, drifting, indestructible, smarter-than-everyone-else way. All in a good way.

I would say that the coincidence of stumbling into this tiny town within 8 hours of his brother having been killed in it, and being accused of the murder, put a big damper on the story however. I kept hoping for an explanation - e.g. he'd very recently talked to his brother and the Blind Blake name came up because Margrave was in the brother's mind. But no. Pure coincidence. It seems to me it didn't have to be quite so random and still be the same story.

Smaller coincidence was the fact that the FBI agent that Finlay, the new "Chief of detectives" had known since childhood, was involved in the scheme. I could live with that one however, as he was the FBI agent assigned to the town. You have to have the unexpected bad guy in a story like this. I really thought it would be Roscoe, as she was local; plus knowing Reacher was a series character, already described as a loner and drifter, there had to be some reason he couldn't stay with Roscoe for 11 books.

Strange Luck, one of my favorite and short-lived TV series, was all about a hero, "Chance" Harper, who had the most bizarre luck ever; some good, some bad. Always strange and inexplicable coincidences seemed to follow him. (For a while there was talk about a Strange Luck/X-Files crossover. It never got past one episode where Chance Harper mentioned that the only FBI agent he trusted was a fellow named Fox Mulder.) I was hoping for at least some similar "explanation" of the weird coincidences that seem to follow Jack Reacher, but saw no hint of that.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #41
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I guess I view it much differently. I expect to read these like I'm watching a movie, and for the most part, that's how it plays out LOL.
I'm going to mark it down as Reacher earned Finlay's respect by his analysis of the first murder and crime scene, the fact that there were three people. Oh, and solving the very tricky mystery of calling the phone number to see what or who's it was.

BOb
Old 10-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #42
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I enjoyed the book, but you know what I found really, really odd? The guy never took a shower. There were a couple of scenes where he got done with ... well, bloody fights and some spots where he walked forever in muggy, muggy weather. And yet...no one seems to notice.

Quote:
There are two things I don't like about the JR books - ...And the other is the way all the women just jump into bed with him. It just seems really odd, they end up with no personalities, just more bed fodder for Jack.
She could at least wait in the first book until he had a shower...(Edited to add: This was a snarky comment for effect. I honestly don't remember if he finally started showering before or after he began his relationship...)

It got better toward the end--there was that one scene where he got a shave, haircut and so on. But for some reason that little thing bugged me. Probably because I used to live in Houston and you could walk from your desk to your car and need a shower. Most women (well, okay me) would generally notice a guy who hadn't showered much...

:>)

Last edited by BearMountainBooks; 10-05-2010 at 04:52 PM.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #43
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Didn't they shower *together* back at her house? Before the first ... um ... sex scene?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #44
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Didn't they shower *together* back at her house? Before the first ... um ... sex scene?

Quite possibly. It's been a while since I read it. I just remember thinking it was weird that no one else reacted for half the book while he was doing all this walking and whatnot without ever showering.

I really did like the book okay. I guess I like Robert Crais (some of them) better. I tend to get tired of any tough guy being too tough. I also liked the first four or so of Steve Hamilton's series. The Reacher books are okay, but not something I feel compelled to read. I'd certainly read one if it were sitting around, I just don't go out of my way to buy the series.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #45
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Reacher showered several times. At least twice alone, three times with Roscoe, and he washed his face in the prison shower room before the Aryan White Brotherhood white trash prison gang interrupted. He wasn't such a dirty guy!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote