Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #31
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
What an interesting way to put it! And since you've also chosen an android as an avatar, it's doubly appropriate.

I'm online over the weekend mostly because I'm lusting after the latest macbook. I have to keep logging in and drooling over it, until I overcome my conscience and actually buy the thing. Even went to a store yesterday to fondle one.....
Let me get this straight. You "fondled" a laptop. Is that right?

Never mind, as a quiltmaker, I have been known to fondle fabric in a quilt shop. Its expected.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #32
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Fondling laptops and fabric both sound quite normal - I've been known to do both. And beads. And books...

Is there a better thread for these sort of confessions?
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2008, 05:46 PM   #33
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Fondling laptops and fabric both sound quite normal - I've been known to do both. And beads. And books...

Is there a better thread for these sort of confessions?
Yes, books, books, too......especially the latest hardcover in a favorite authors series......I go to the bookstore and pick a copy and just stroke the pretty colors.......uh......
Never mind.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:25 PM   #34
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I have no chairs. I did stack my books up into a chair-like shape, but it didn't quite work. I'd slip off and end up tangled in plot-lines...
How to make improbable chairs from recycled items:

Make Art not Trash
http://www.makeartnottrash.com/endnotes.htm
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:31 PM   #35
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
... I'm lusting after the latest macbook. I have to keep logging in and drooling over it, until I overcome my conscience and actually buy the thing. Even went to a store yesterday to fondle one.....
My hubby is doing the same thing. He visited the Apple store in Atlanta before he picked me up on Thursday afternoon and he's located the Apple store in Birmingham so he can go shopping while I'm delivering my seminar on Thursday. I'm confident that by the time he picks me up on Thursday afternoon, he'll have bought the Macbook.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2008, 07:12 PM   #36
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
PH, the ChiTheory on apartments (as I remember from many years ago) is that the landlords expect that the tenants will take the appliances with them in the lower cost digs and that they will respect the ownership of the appliances in the higher priced spreads.

[Sorry to hear that you had to reboot. | Congratulations on rebooting.] I've done it a few times myself.

I had a friend who was a native and to her everything was just two blocks away. It may be four miles away; but, it was only two blocks. I learned to walk a lot in Chicago and after the last winter I spent there I have never complained about winter that much (except for a winter in Buffalo, but that is another story.)

It is a great place to be. A great place to reinvent yourself. A great place to start over.

PM me your address, I think I have an extra box of baggies around here someplace.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #37
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
How to make improbable chairs from recycled items:

Make Art not Trash
http://www.makeartnottrash.com/endnotes.htm
that link is giving me all kinds of ideas. i'm definitely going to have to quit my job, i really don't have time for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
PM me your address, I think I have an extra box of baggies around here someplace.
yay !!! baggies !!!!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:10 PM   #38
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Zelda, I know that the aluminum pull-tab chair in the reference Patricia gave looks great. The problem for those of us in the US is that they don't use aluminum pull-tabs anymore.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:12 PM   #39
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

really ? what do they use ?
Old 11-09-2008, 08:16 PM   #40
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Tabs that lever up and back to open the can, but stay attached. Pull tabs were a littering problem plus clever kids could hack phone networks and Cray supercomputers with them.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:18 PM   #41
zelda_pinwheel

ah, well then i don't know what the original pulltabs were, maybe. that's what i had in mind at the first mention of pull tabs. they can break off if you want them to. sometimes they break off when you *don't* want them to.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:42 PM   #42
RWood
Technogeezer

The original pull-tabs were a metal tab that was fastened to a portion of the top of the can, you would lift the tab to break the seal and release the pressure (if any) in the can, and then keep pulling the tab to remove it and the metal from the can. The edges of the removed metal were sharp and many people did step on them and hurt their feet. Some people would drop them back in the can and some would later get these back as they consumed the beverage from the can. Some people collected them and made stuff like belts from them.

Some areas starting banning their use in the 1970s. Today most of the beverage cans I see have a tab on them that acts as a lever to push part of the top inside the can to reveal an opening. Everything stays attached to the can so there is nothing to wander off by itself.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:48 PM   #43
zelda_pinwheel

hm. i think i vaguely remember those. i don't drink soda and my parents never bought any beverages in cans when i was a child, so the whole pull-tab phenomenon is mostly a tangential experience to me. plus which if they were replaced in the 70s, well... my memories of the 70s are few, rare and indistinct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Tabs that lever up and back to open the can, but stay attached. Pull tabs were a littering problem plus clever kids could hack phone networks and Cray supercomputers with them.
that is a joke, right ? or is there even more pull-tab lore that i don't know about ?
Old 11-09-2008, 09:00 PM   #44
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Taylor-

If you ever again imply that the suffix "er" should follow the great and noble word "Chicago,"
I will travel back to my homeland and beat you to death with your own robotic arm.

I lived in a boat down by the river off Illinois Street. You should try the Kerryman, which is on Clark. Decent Neo-Irish pub. Suppose that you are closer to the Jewel than Dominick's on Columbus. Definitely find WEST EGG Cafe. Go there for breakfast. Go there again. You will thank me.

Also, in keeping with what makes a thread great, there is a flowershop on State between Ontario & Ohio, called EPOCH. Do not be fooled by the flowers and the FTD sign. Go to the back, say "Cthulhu sent me," & get a slice of the best pie known to man or squid.

Most of this stuff is north of the river from you, but it's not too bad a walk.

If I ever get back to great green Illinois, I'll look you up.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:05 PM   #45
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Also, in keeping with what makes a thread great, there is a flowershop on State between Ontario & Ohio, called EPOCH. Do not be fooled by the flowers and the FTD sign. Go to the back, say "Cthulhu sent me," & get a slice of the best pie known to man or squid.
please also wear a wire and hidden camera for that excursion. i must know exactly what happens to anyone going to the back of a florist shop and murmuring "cthulhu sent me" to the florist (i'd be careful. the pie might be... you know...).

Tags
10-w-40, blue one next to the fish, can you spare a dime?, chicago, chicagoerrrrr, destitute, he's so pitiful, lonely android, meet-up, meetup, spare change, subverting the system, wd40