Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #466
wystearya
Enthusiast
wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Well, I called them and they are sending me a replacement via 2 day shipping. The estimated delivery date is Oct. 16th. So, maybe I will get one with a better screen. And if not at least I can live with this one!
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #467
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by wystearya View Post
Well, I called them and they are sending me a replacement via 2 day shipping. The estimated delivery date is Oct. 16th. So, maybe I will get one with a better screen. And if not at least I can live with this one!
Good! The 16th isn't bad considering it is late already late on Friday.
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #468
wystearya
Enthusiast
wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks! That is what I thought too.

Here's hoping the new one will be better! *fingers crossed*

Oh, and just for the record, here are a couple of pictures of my current screen:

NOTE - This is edited and makes the issue stand out more than it does in real life. I just wanted the lines in the left-hand corner to show up.

A close-up of the corner and lines.

Last edited by wystearya; 10-12-2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Adding information
Old 10-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #469
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

Oh, and just for the record, here are a couple of pictures of my current screen:
You should definitely get a better one. That one has too many issues.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #470
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post

Similarly, my boss had an iPad 3 that he just loved, thinking the screen was excellent. Then he was looking at ours side-by-side (and I hadn't yet mentioned the yellow tint problem) while we were reviewing some emails, and he said, "Man, your screen is a lot better than mine. Mine looks like it has jaundice." He then went to the Apple Store and replaced his for one with better whites, because once HE saw it, he couldn't get past it either. But before that, he was perfectly happy with it.

As I use my PW now, I do notice the discoloration and it bugs me (and I have a replacement coming tomorrow that I hope is better), but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have noticed it right away, if at all, if I hadn't read about it here and went looking for it. And reviewers who don't know about it maybe wouldn't notice it either.
I think that's a different situation. It's possible your iPad was on the cooler side and his was on the warmer side. His might have been closer to the 6500K standard, which is supposed to be a bit warm. Most people are not used to this and think it is yellow, esp when they compare it side by side with another display that is neutral or cool.

Now, if his iPad had had yellow blobs on an otherwise white screen, I think he would've noticed it. That is really the problem -- uniformity.

Personally I would love it if the PW was a bit yellowish instead of bluish. It would make it more comfortable at night (think home vs office lighting) and look more paper like.

Last edited by Barty; 10-12-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #471
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Lines?

Quote:

NOTE - This is edited and makes the issue stand out more than it does in real life. I just wanted the lines in the left-hand corner to show up.

A close-up of the corner and lines.
I don't see any lines in that photo. That is a good unit.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #472
wystearya
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
You should definitely get a better one. That one has too many issues.
Yeah.. Those lines in the upper left-hand corner are what broke the camel's back for me.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #473
wystearya
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I don't see any lines in that photo. That is a good unit.
Not sure how you don't see them. It's clear as day to me. The bright diagonal lines in the upper left-hand part of the screen.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #474
Rontonio
Rontonio began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I wanted to chime in. I had problems with the last Kindle I bought, and with the replacement, so the 3rd time around I waited until day 29 and sent in Kindle number two and I finally received a good one. If you like the PW, wait as long as possible, to send yours in. Maybe Amazon will have solved the production problems, and you'll get one from the new batch. I've replaced my PW once already and will follow my own suggestion for PW number 3.
Rontonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #475
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Not sure how you don't see them. It's clear as day to me. The bright diagonal lines in the upper left-hand part of the screen.
He is arguing with everyone. He might have bad eyesight or just be argumentative. Either way the lines are very visible.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #476
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon "good" unit

Quote:
See this link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...d_i=1000841011

The Amazon "good" unit in the photo with low PW light levels has bluish green blotches as shown in their photo in the lower left.

That is really noticeable and Amazon is presenting it a a "normal" unit.

Their picture has real defects compared to yours.

I think a lot of these defects are subjective in nature akin to page wrinkles, folds and cracks in paper books. Most buyers of those books never think to object to them.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-12-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #477
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
At best he's admitted he has cataracts in other posts; at worst he's a very persistent but somewhat ineffectual troll. (I can see your diagonal line and I don't think I've seen that particular problem before.)
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #478
wystearya
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
He is arguing with everyone. He might have bad eyesight or just be argumentative. Either way the lines are very visible.
Indeed.

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #479
wystearya
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
At best he's admitted he has cataracts in other posts; at worst he's a very persistent but somewhat ineffectual troll. (I can see your diagonal line and I don't think I've seen that particular problem before.)
Thank you too. Glad to know it is visible to others. I know I see it!

I was going to say I'll not feed the troll, but didn't want to offend.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #480
sirmaru
Wizard

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
I agree on that. Its possible the "defects" are visible to those with perfect vision. The rest of us with all kinds of eye defects can't see them.

I may just live with these cataracts instead of getting them replaced with an IOL. They do have hidden benefits.

Maybe the vast majority of responses on the Amazon site, who think the PW is a perfect device, simply cannot see the problems.

On the Amazon site now 204 folks give the PW a 5 star rating and only 49 give it a 1 star rating. If one reads the two kinds of reviews, they are talking about totally different experiences.

The 1 star reviewers probably have perfect vision. The 5 star folks probably all have a variety of vision problems. All the units may be exactly the same.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-12-2012 at 07:58 PM.