Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
Corrupt book question

I had a book where the pages jumped about and whole chapters were missing. It was the same on my Touch and my iPad app.

I've ignored it for months but decided tonight it won't beat me!
I deleted it from both my devices.

It's an ePub which the Safari browser on my iPad can't download. I thought I could download it straight in my iPad app as I found the advice (copied below) on the Kobo News (megaphone icon on the iPad app). It was written on the 28th October 2011.

Sideloading with Safari:

• Tap any EPUB and/or PDF link and select Open in Kobo to add it to your Kobo Library.

I'm doing something wrong as I don't see the "Open in Kobo" option.

Can someone help me get my book on my iPad please? There isn't a way to access my kobo web library from the app. I deleted the book as reloading it didn't fix it so I have no cover to 'Tap'.

Thank you
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Attachment 100006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orn8one View Post
Sideloading with Safari:

• Tap any EPUB and/or PDF link and select Open in Kobo to add it to your Kobo Library.

I'm doing something wrong as I don't see the "Open in Kobo" option.

Can someone help me get my book on my iPad please? There isn't a way to access my kobo web library from the app. I deleted the book as reloading it didn't fix it so I have no cover to 'Tap'.

Thank you
This is on an iPhone and not an iPad but I used Google search in Safari to go to Gutenberg's Three Men in A Boat page. When I got there, I tapped on Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men in a Boat (epub with images version), I got a screen with Open In on the left side and Open in "iBooks" on the right side. Tapping on Open In gave me a choice of opening in Kobo, Stanza, iBooks and Evernote. I tapped on Open in Kobo and it went off to the Kobo app where the book showed in my library view. Tapping on Three Men in A Boat in the library view opened the book. I've attached some images of what I saw.

Hope this is some help.

Regards,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0408[1].PNG
Views:	241
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	100007   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0409[1].PNG
Views:	248
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	100008   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0407[2].PNG
Views:	229
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	100009  

Last edited by DNSB; 01-25-2013 at 12:44 AM. Reason: added images
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Thank you David. I'll try that later. If it doesn't work on my iPad I'll try my iPhone. I would think it was an IOS 6 'thing' if it hadn't been written in 2011! I'll let you know what happens. :-) Amanda
Old 01-25-2013, 04:19 AM   #4
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Hi Amanda,

Maybe I'm missing something, but if the book is corrupt (or very badly formatted anyway) as you describe in your first post, maybe that's why Safari won't download it? Or if you get to the next step, maybe Safari will download it as Safari downloads anything you tell it to, but the Kobo app isn't suggested because the book isn't recognised as an epub, due to its bad formatting... That's what I would guess anyway.

If that's the problem you'll have to fix the book with your computer (Calibre, Sigil, or other) to be able to read it.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
My guess on the "Safari won't download it" problem is that the OP is clicking the blue "Adobe DRM ePub" / "Adobe DRM PDF" button in Safari on their iPad, and it is here they see the message, which is correct because Safari / iOS cannot find an application that is configured to read that file (adobe .acsm file).
Ah, but the Kobo app is installed and it supports Adobe DRM. There's the catch, the current version, 5.9, DOES support Adobe DRM'd files, but there is a bug which is causing the app to not correctly register that it can handle acsm files and that's why Safari / iOS does not see Kobo as being able to deal with this file. This bug will be addressed in the next update.

This bug should not cause problems with non Adobe DRM files, which may explain why DNSB did not see any issues, and saw the correct behaviour, ie; Safari / iOS detects an app can handle the file type and gives you an option to open the file in that app / those apps (if you have more than one that can handle the file type)

As to how to get hold of the book, you'll need to use a computer, rather than the iPad / any iOS device. Simply sign into your Kobo account on the computer, Bring up you Im Reading list and find the book, click the blue Adobe button. This will download the acsm file. As to how to side-load this, I've put instructions at the very bottom of this email.

As for the actual original issue with the book, could you sign into your Kobo account, click on the My Library option, which should display the I'm Reading list, and I'm assuming the book is still on that list? If so, click on the book and it will display the book item page, can you select the URL in the browser address bar and post it here. Can you also tell me where the pages jumped (chapter and page number before it jumps) and also the chapters that seemed to be missing. I can then grab the book and see if I can replicate the problem. As you're seeing it on multiple devices it sounds as though it's an issue with the book content, so I'd suggest contacting customer care and stating the book has errors.

If you are using an iPad, follow these steps:

1. Connect your device to your computer and then launch iTunes

2. From the "Library" list on the left hand side of iTunes, there should be a Devices section and it should display your device. Click on your device to select it

3. In the main section of iTunes it should be displaying a Summary screen for your device. Along the top there are various options (Summary, Info, Apps, Music, etc...) Select the "Apps" item.

4. The list of apps on your device should appear. The lower section of the screen has a "File Sharing" sub-section. Locate the Kobo application and click on it.

5. Click either the "Add" button and navigate to where the book is on your computer, select it and click the choose button, or drag and drop the file into the Kobo Documents section. This should copy the file over to the Kobo iPad application

6. If the file is an Adobe DRM protected file you will need and Adobe ID, if not then you can skip this step. If you don't have an Adobe ID, create one here: <https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/membership/index.cfm>. Switch to the Kobo application, tap on the blue menu bar to display the grey options bar, tap "Settings". You'll see an option for signing into an Adobe account, tap on this option, enter your new Adobe ID into the fields.

7. Switch to the Kobo application, tap on the blue menu bar to display the grey options bar, tap "Library".

8. You should now be able to tap on the book that was side-loaded and read it.

If you are using an iPhone, follow these steps:

1. Connect your device to your computer and then launch iTunes

2. From the "Library" list on the left hand side of iTunes, there should be a Devices section and it should display your device. Click on your device to select it

3. In the main section of iTunes it should be displaying a Summary screen for your device. Along the top there are various options (Summary, Info, Apps, Music, etc...) Select the "Apps" item.

4. The list of apps on your device should appear. The lower section of the screen has a "File Sharing" sub-section. Locate the Kobo application and click on it.

5. Click either the "Add" button and navigate to where the book is on your computer, select it and click the choose button, or drag and drop the file into the Kobo Documents section. This should copy the file over to the Kobo iPad application

6. If the file is an Adobe DRM protected file you will need and Adobe ID, if not then you can skip this step. If you don't have an Adobe ID, create one here: <https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/membership/index.cfm>. Switch to the Kobo application. Ensure you are on the Home screen of the app. The Home screen contains the Library and Reading Life options in the bottom portion of the screen. If you are in the Library or Reading Life sections of the app, tap the Home icon in the top left of the screen to return to the Home screen. Tap the Gearwheel icon in the top left of the blue menu. This will display the settings screen. You'll see an option for signing into an Adobe account, tap on this option, enter your new Adobe ID into the fields.

7. Switch to the Kobo application. Ensure you are on the Home screen of the app. The Home screen contains the Library and Reading Life options in the bottom portion of the screen. Tap the Library item to be taken to the Library.

8. You should now be able to tap on the book that was side-loaded and read it.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
Orn8one
Groupie

Thanks for all the replies.
1st question, what is an OP? Operating person? Am I the OP?
David's tip didn't work sadly. Thanks anyway.
Mrs Often, good point. My husband has the same book on his touch and his doesn't work either.
The book is "Kill Alex Cross" by James Patterson. The link to it http://http://www.kobobooks.com/eboo...nBg/page1.html for Sharkus? I think the http// has entered twice.
Sharkus thank you so much for your enormous reply :-) It would be nice if my problem is a bug that will be fixed. I prefer to stay clear of the computer. The Digital Editions is on my husband's PC, we run an ISP and I don't touch that PC! I have a Mac and in my early days of e-reading there were difficulties with Mac so we ran DE from the PC. Historical reasons but that's how the way was paved! I usually manage fine using the web access to my Kobo Library from my Mac or iPad when needed. I purchase from the website and download to the app or sync to the touch.
Lastly the books misbehaviour from memory, it was last March I attempted to read it! Turning pages took me back to the start of a chapter or on a chapter. The table of contents didn't work, anything tapped took me to the start of the book. I do remember the first chapter, or 20 pages or so, was impossible on the Touch but worked on the iPad but then the book went back to the start or the end. I gave it up very early on in the book planning to download it again. I've given it quite a few tries and decided last night I needed the help of 'the wise'.
Thanks, Amanda
Old 01-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Mrs Often, good point. My husband has the same book on his touch and his doesn't work either.
The book is "Kill Alex Cross" by James Patterson. The link to it http://http://www.kobobooks.com/eboo...nBg/page1.html for Sharkus? I think the http// has entered twice.
Sharkus thank you so much for your enormous reply :-) It would be nice if my problem is a bug that will be fixed. I prefer to stay clear of the computer. The Digital Editions is on my husband's PC, we run an ISP and I don't touch that PC! I have a Mac and in my early days of e-reading there were difficulties with Mac so we ran DE from the PC. Historical reasons but that's how the way was paved! I usually manage fine using the web access to my Kobo Library from my Mac or iPad when needed. I purchase from the website and download to the app or sync to the touch.
Lastly the books misbehaviour from memory, it was last March I attempted to read it! Turning pages took me back to the start of a chapter or on a chapter. The table of contents didn't work, anything tapped took me to the start of the book. I do remember the first chapter, or 20 pages or so, was impossible on the Touch but worked on the iPad but then the book went back to the start or the end. I gave it up very early on in the book planning to download it again. I've given it quite a few tries and decided last night I needed the help of 'the wise'.
Thanks, Amanda
OP = Original Poster, so the person who started the thread. And yep, that's you in this case

Sounds like the book is definitely formatted incorrectly. Contacting help@kobobooks.com telling them about it should help get things started. Unfortunately it might be (probably is) the publisher's fault and not Kobo's, in which case all Kobo can do is pass the message along to the publisher and wait for them to get back to them with a newly formatted book. In the mean time Kobo might be able to give you a refund for the book.

As for the iPad thing, Sharkus will get you sorted with that as he's a developer of the iOS app (the Kobo app on your iPad)
Old 01-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, Amanda

Sorry, as Mrs_Often states, OP = Original Poster.

Not shocked about the tip on side-loading it not working, and I'd say it's due to the .acsm vs normal epub / pdf issue I mentioned, which will be addressed in the next update.

Thank you for the URL, I'll have a quick look and see if I get the same issue as you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
As for the iPad thing, Sharkus will get you sorted with that as he's a developer of the iOS app (the Kobo app on your iPad)
Thanks Though I should clarify that I'm not actually one of the developers, just a lowly QA on the iOS portion of the mobile apps team.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quick... How can we get Sharkus promoted to being a non lowly QA on the IOS portion of the mobile apps team ?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
Sharkus
Evangelist

Ok, I've had a quick look at the book with the latest version of our app (v5.9) and it seems to be working ok for me. I can switch through pages and chapters without issues. The links in the chapters work and take me to the the correct chapter in the book.

It is possible it may have been a bug in the version of the app you were using, there were 10 updates to the app since March last year, and so a lot has changed in the app since then, so I'd certainly give it another try with the normal download method (sign into the app, let the book download).
Old 01-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
Sharkus
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Quick... How can we get Sharkus promoted to being a non lowly QA on the IOS portion of the mobile apps team ?
Performance review is coming up soon, perhaps I should post my managers email address so you can send in glowing reports
Old 01-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #12
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
Thanks Though I should clarify that I'm not actually one of the developers, just a lowly QA on the iOS portion of the mobile apps team.
Oh no! Sorry to misjudge, you're obviously worth much more than Kobo gives you credit for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Exactly! Lets just all pretend he is a developer, call Kobo customer service and complain about the bug we're all experiencing in Sharkus' salary (it's much too low), and make the iOS team understand they got Sharkus mixed up with someone else.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
Performance review is coming up soon, perhaps I should post my managers email address so you can send in glowing reports
Yes please!
Old 01-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #14
Sharkus
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Oh no! Sorry to misjudge, you're obviously worth much more than Kobo gives you credit for...
It's more that I try to be modest (I know, I know, saying that makes me sound less modest!). I'm intermediate QA on the iOS side of things, secondly only to the mobile apps QA lead, so pretty much as high up in the team structure as I could go, and that's fine with me
Old 01-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #15
Orn8one
Groupie

Good chat everyone! Thanks Sharkus, I'd sanction your pay rise and promotion....hope the right bods are reading this!
Glad the book worked, I'd love to be able to have another go. You said in your reply
"normal download method (sign into the app, let the book download)."
Errr how can I do that from the app when I deleted it? Isn't this where I began or am I missing something?
Thanks for your help.