Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #406
ultimatejimmy
Enthusiast
ultimatejimmy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Paperwhite (coming soon)
duplicate

Last edited by ultimatejimmy; 10-12-2012 at 11:20 AM. Reason: duplicate
ultimatejimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #407
ultimatejimmy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosmo View Post
Amazons attitude has definitely changed from the last time I called for a replacement, last Saturday. I called last Sat. and got a projected delivery date of Nov. 15th. That Monday (Columbus Day) I got a call for a nice lady saying they upgraded me to overnight shipping and it arrived Wednesday. Then I called today (same issues on replacement) and they are sending another ASAP, without needing the nice lady to expedite things.

Like I said on my Amazon review, Amazon needs to send out survey emails to everyone who ordered with clear real world pictures of a good Paperwhite and a defective Paperwhite for easy comparison. At least I got a extra USB cable this time around for all the gas and packaging tape I wasted returning Kindles!
That's true, that would be a nice thing to do for Amazon. I think that if they did that, though, they would be replacing it for many people who don't care enough to contact CS.

Also, so far this issue has been missed by the media/tech blogs... I think a mass email to PW owners would change that and draw attention to this QC issue.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #408
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Not really material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
I guess the pink and green hues are not visible to you? Such as the pink in upper right corner? I suppose it would be even more apparent at 24.
If I look close at the PHOTO, yes I see a very slight tint of pink in the upper right corner. I cannot see it at all on the device. I used level 22 rather than 24 since I always use that level to read. I can also see the slight shading on the bottom in the photo. That is also NOT visible to me on the device.

Remember, the photo comes up very enlarged compared to the device and the camera lens is far better than my old eyes.

If that is what the complaints are all about, then the complainers are just too picky or the vision of the disappointed users is really sharp compared to mine.

This is like folks running to return the LCD large screen TV's when they were first introduced because they could see defects in 2 or 3 pixels out of thousands when they went up close. Most folks cannot even see those defective pixels from normal viewing range.

If folks are using cameras to pick up "defects" which are not visible to the naked eye, then Amazon is being plagued by far too many unjustified complaints.

As the old saying goes, "ignorance is bliss and a little knowledge can be very dangerous."

If you really look at that photo, the contrast between the fonts and the background is great and very clear and the brightness as shown in the photo is really not too much at all. Remember, this is reflected light, not direct light like on the Kindle Fire where I always dim the light.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-12-2012 at 11:35 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #409
jswinden
Nameless Being

I probably could have read better on a PW that was completely pinkish as opposed to the blue green. The pink in splotches was noticeable and a bit annoying but I never noticed any extremely dark pink shadows. The darkest shadows on my three PWs were always in the blue green hue. The shadows themselves would not have been so bad for reading if they had simply been shadows. But in the darker blue green shadows it was like looking at the text through a veil. That is something in which no photo can accurately depict. Whatever caused those darker shadows was hovering above the text and that caused a lot of eyestrain. Those who have not seen a real PW cannot understand that, nor can those who have but their PW was okay screen-wise.

As I said in another thread, it is a far different experience to look at photos of a PW on the internet from that of looking at a real PW in person. If you don't own one and/or have never held one, then you really don't have a clue.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #410
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
If I look close at the PHOTO, yes I see a very slight tint of pink in the upper right corner. I cannot see it at all on the device. I used level 22 rather than 24 since I always use that level to read. I can also see the slight shading on the bottom in the photo. That is also NOT visible to me on the device.

Remember, the photo comes up very enlarged compared to the device and the camera lens is far better than my old eyes.

If that is what the complaints are all about, then the complainers are just too picky or the vision of the disappointed users is really sharp compared to mine.

This is like folks running to return the LCD large screen TV's when they were first introduced because they could see defects in 2 or 3 pixels out of thousands when they went up close. Most folks cannot even see those defective pixels from normal viewing range.

If folks are using cameras to pick up "defects" which are not visible to the naked eye, then Amazon is being plagued by far too many unjustified complaints.
Your unit has color blobs.

It's not 'pure white' as you claim.

If you can't see them, awesome, but they're there. The blame-the-user nonsense is tiresome and overdone.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #411
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
With every picture that gets posted it just proves more and more that the color problem exists on all of them. The color blotches are very obvious on sirmaru's to me.
I can't believe that this could be true, though it appears to be. It can't be that nobody at Amazon caught this. I keep thinking Jeff B must have looked at those elusive good units, or he would have never touted this new device magical and revolutionary, he would have just introduced the new and improved iluminated higher-resolution touch instead.

Last edited by xendula; 10-12-2012 at 11:47 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #412
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Really??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Your unit has color blobs.

It's not 'pure white' as you claim.
If you are seeing COLOR BLOBS on my photo, then we are looking at different pictures entirely.

I see NO color blobs there. The almost invisible pinkish SHADE in the upper right corner is not visible at all on my unit.

That IS THE PROBLEM. Its really illusions (contrasted with halucinations). I am perceiving the illusion of perfection and you are perceiving the illusion of a disastrous color blob problem.

There is no way Amazon will ever be able to correct illusions. Its simply not possible.

If I were you, I'd forget the Paperwhite. Send it in for a refund and buy a Kindle Fire HD.

I've noticed that problem in the comments at the PW page on the Amazon site. The vast majority see perfection and a large minority see color blods on their original units and on their replacements. Apparently, the PW, itself, is causing this huge difference. I doubt if Amazon will ever solve this one.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-12-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #413
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatejimmy View Post
As long as he's happy with it, good for him.
I agree!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #414
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I can't believe that this could be true, though it appears to be. It can't be that nobody at Amazon caught this. I keep thinking Jeff B must have looked at those elusive good units, or he would have never touted this new device magical and revolutionary, he would have just introduced the new and improved iluminated higher-resolution touch instead.
It's shocking to me too. I really can't believe no one caught it.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #415
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
If I recall, did he not post previously of suffering from cataracts in both eyes? If so, that will make a HUGE difference in perception and explains why he uses level 22 for all his reading -- that is far too bright for most reading conditions.

Last edited by Skydog; 10-12-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #416
ultimatejimmy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
That IS THE PROBLEM. Its really illusions (contrasted with halucinations). I am perceiving the illusion of perfection and you are perceiving the illusion of a disastrous color blob problem.

There is no way Amazon will ever be able to correct illusions. Its simply not possible.

You said it yourself in an earlier post that you have bad old eyes. You also seem to be the only one on this forum or on the Amazon forums that can't see it. Every PW seems to be different from the photos, with varying degrees of color-blotches. Yours is very minor, which is good new for you, since you don't notice it at all.

Don't tell everyone else that it is "illusions". Many of them (I have seen a few photos that don't) really have the defects, whether or not you can see them.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #417
sirmaru
Wizard

Not a physical problem.

Quote:
No one caught it because it is NOT a physical problem. It is a case of different PERCEPTIONS of the exact same physical screen. There is nothing mechanically wrong with the screen.

It is like the flying saucer problem we've had for ages. Some folks see them and even photograph them. Scientists and the military cannot detect them.

They are the result of mass illusions.

In the Sahara desert many folks see things and can even photograph them but many others cannot see them. That is the nature of an illusion. They are not in the mind of one individual like a hallucination. They can be viewed by large groups and can even be photographed.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #418
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I think they probably did. When I worked for a large software company we often released products with well known issues. Well known to the corporate bosses that is. They would be told the release sucked, but meeting the release dates were more important to them. We were told release it now then fix it later. Or as we use to say in mocking them, "We don't have time to do it right, but apparently we have time to redo it later"! I don't know if that is what happened, but with all the speculation and leaks and hype generated by the press even before release, Amazon might have felt they needed to release it even if it wasn't quite ready. Plus Kobo and Nook already had released theirs, and from what I read the PW is better than those. So maybe it was a yes this isn't very good but at least it is better than the competitions' models kind of decision.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #419
sirmaru
Wizard

Eye preciseness has large variances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
If I recall, did he not post previously of suffering from cataracts in both eyes? If so, that will make a HUGE difference in perception and explains why he uses level 22 for all his reading -- that is far too bright for most reading conditions.
Many of us have the following eye conditions: cataracts, glaucoma, near sightedness, color blindness, far sightedness, , macular degeneration and many defects not known to me.

Many wear glasses, contact lenses, etc.

By the way, sensitivity to bright light is a sign of glaucoma or macular degeneration. Those having real problems with the bright level of the PW may well require an examination by an ophthmalogist.

It's possible that the "defects" are only visible to those with the best vision and also the PW is one of many devices having the ability to generate illusions.

3D television, holograms and other forms of viewing devices purposely use illusions to gain a certain perception.

Magicians use illusions all the time and manage to convince 98% of their audiences that the illusions are facts. Illusions are viewable to masses of folks in contrast to hallucinations which are only perceived by single individuals.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-12-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #420
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I think they probably did. When I worked for a large software company we often released products with well known issues. Well known to the corporate bosses that is. They would be told the release sucked, but meeting the release dates were more important to them. We were told release it now then fix it later. Or as we use to say in mocking them, "We don't have time to do it right, but apparently we have time to redo it later"! I don't know if that is what happened, but with all the speculation and leaks and hype generated by the press even before release, Amazon might have felt they needed to release it even if it wasn't quite ready. Plus Kobo and Nook already had released theirs, and from what I read the PW is better than those. So maybe it was a yes this isn't very good but at least it is better than the competitions' models kind of decision.
That's an interesting point and makes the most sense. I think it's very likely that's what they did, it's just too hard to believe that it wasn't noticed.