nicolasblank
nicolasblank began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
CHM Conversion fails with memory error

Hi all
I'm trying to convert the Exchange 2010 .CHM help file into .mobi
The CHM file can be found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...s.aspx?id=1573
I've tried this and a previous version of calibre but the conversion fails with the same error, which is "MemoryError: out of memory"
The error log is attached
Attached Files
File Type: zip calibreError.zip (414.0 KB, 141 views)
nicolasblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
That error indicates that there's too little memory (RAM) available to finish the conversion. There's no fix except to upgrade your computer.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
nicolasblank

I'm running this on a 64bit machine with 8GB of RAM, with 5GB free while the conversion process is running. The process is 32 bit, which theoretically won't take more than a few GB's and the process doesn't even reach one GB at runtime.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
nicolasblank

took a while to rerun - every run takes nearly an hour to fail:
I confirm that I had well over 3GB free
the process maxed out at 1867640 KB (1.78GB).
My Machine had pleanty of available RAM, I expect the process is contrained by a 32bit limit, or 32 bit Python might have hit a limit.
Any ideas on how to work around this issue? Any tweaks I can try in the product?
Old 08-29-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
That sounds like it might be a 32 bit limit issue. I don't know if and how you can work around that, but I'm pretty sure someone from the dev team will be along later.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre is designed to keep the entire contents of an ebook that it is
processing (except for images) in memory. This makes
transformations on the text and formatting easy enough to implement
that they actually end up getting implemented. The downside of this
approach is that calibre cannot handle very large documents. I
suggest you find a way to split up your document outside calibre,
or use some other tools to convert it.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
nicolasblank

Fair enuf. I don't suppose you'reworking on a 64bit build since CHM's can't be decompiled into anything decent that keeps a structure.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
64bit build are available for linux and OS X, just not windows. I currently have no plans for a 64bit windows build.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote