Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #25636
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Bows and flows of angel hair and ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons everywhere, I've looked at clouds that way
But now they only block the sun they rain and snow on everyone
So many things I would have done, but clouds got in my way

I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down and still somehow
It's cloud's illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8jGFu7ys64 )

One of the delights of living on the 15th floor with an unlimited view is the wonderful skyscapes we get to see. Being the Rainy Season, it's a never-ending collage of moving beauty.

Good morning, everyone! Things are actually progressing, and we can see the boxes becoming fewer and fewer as we unpack. Of course, the piles of 'stuff' around the house are getting higher and higher as we can't figure out where to PUT all this junk! We are throwing away a LOT...

... but the found tea makes it all worthwhile. I'm drinking unbranded Keemun tea and getting ready to go downstairs to visit the Food Lady. I have this craving for one of her veggie/egg omelets and Chiang Mai sausage. Yeah... and some pineapple, rose apple, mango, and rambutan too. Everything is peeled, sliced, and sold in bags with a bamboo skewer... for 20 cents a bag... I still can't get over the prices of food here. Yesterday we purchased three large meals and spent less than $2 USD...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Ah. Clearly, you're running on a similar clock to the one we have on the Coast. Here we call it "Pender time".
I'm not sure if I relayed this incident or not, but several years ago I was invited to lunch with a group of linguists. (I photographed their group shot each year at convention.) I was at the table with a linguist from Mexico, Thailand, and two from the US. The conversation went something like this:
Thai Linguist: "I have been studying your language and am very interested in your word 'mañana.' It seems to have so many ways of using it."
Mexican Linguist: Yes, it truly is one of our wonderfully useful words. Tell me, do you have such a word in your Thai language?"
The Thai linguist thought for a moment and replied:
"Sorry, but we really don't have a word that conveys quite so much urgency!"

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #25637
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
They showed this video today as an example of why we need a common language (with regards to IT processes): Funny stuff :
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #25638
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Right now, a cup of water to wash down a couple of generic naproxen sodium tablets. Just had my first physical therapy session for my left knee -- the one I used to call "my good knee." A few weeks ago I managed to tear some cartilage in there.

And now to get a bag of ice.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:08 AM   #25639
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Ouch. I hope your knee is better soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Did more foot touring of Philly today. Covered about 7 miles, walked among probably 100 geese that did not bother to notice me at all, and burned around 900 calories. Posted 14 new pictures to my Flikr

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/520...06/9311718446/

Enjoy!
I can't believe those were taken with your iphone. I've never been to Philly and enjoyed the slideshow. Thanks for sharing.

*I love the photo of the cupcakes (which made me hungry for something chocolate. )*

Finishing off my tea and waiting for my coffee to brew, while I go searching for something chocolate to satisfy my craving.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #25640
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I can't believe those were taken with your iphone. I've never been to Philly and enjoyed the slideshow. Thanks for sharing.

*I love the photo of the cupcakes (which made me hungry for something chocolate. )*
Thanks!

Well if by cup cakes you mean

Then 2 comments... first you went beyond my Philly pictures in to older shots and second those are NOT cup cakes. Those are donuts. We made them in miniature cup cake paper because we do not have a donut pan and we wanted munkins anyways. Came out very tasty. Did not last the night.

As for the iPhone. Yeah, with a little care and practice it takes great pictures. I actually gave away my old Canon DSLR cause I never have it on me, so I never take any pictures with it anymore. The 8mp camera on my phone is not as good as a more modern DSLR and one day I will replace it because there is so much more you can do with a real DSLR. For now since 99% of the shots I take are like these, fine from the iPhone, I am not worried about it.

After all the BEST camera is the on in your hand when you want to take a picture.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #25641
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Right now, a cup of water to wash down a couple of generic naproxen sodium tablets. Just had my first physical therapy session for my left knee -- the one I used to call "my good knee." A few weeks ago I managed to tear some cartilage in there.

And now to get a bag of ice.
Ouch. I know this one all too well, since I ended up having to have a total knee replacement about 3 years ago. I can't tell you how much better life is without the constant pain. But no more running.

Tea today has been all Prince Charles blend. Doing well, and the second steeping was just as good as the first. I'm liking this one.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #25642
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Double Ouch. I'm looking at two knee replacements at some point as both my knees are bad following a torn cartilage and the rising humidity in London is making them worse.

Bottled water at the moment while coping with the UK's heat wave.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #25643
cromag
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. Just back from another round of physical therapy. Tea #3 is waiting for me. And a couple more naproxen sodium tablets.

My knees have been bad since I was 17. I have good reason to believe I had Lyme disease in 1970. Unfortunately, they didn't identify the cause and name the disease until about 1976.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #25644
VydorScope
Wizard

Sorry to hear that cromag. But at least you have tea!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #25645
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When I was a little boy, (when I was just a boy)
And the devil would call my name (when I was just a boy)
I'd say "now who do,
Who do you think you're fooling? " (when I was just a boy)
I'm a consecrated boy (when I was just a boy)
I'm a singer in a sunday choir
Oh , my mama loves, she loves me
She get down on her knees and hug me
Like she loves me like a rock
She rocks me like the rock of ages
And loves me
She love me, love me, love me, love me

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3BJl5Zy7HQ )

Good morning, everyone! Sun's shinning (at least for now.. By this afternoon there will be an hour's torrential rain. But just an hour's worth. Then sun again.) I've a big mug of East India Company's "Royal Breakfast" tea beside me, and I'm just about ready to go down to visit the Food Lady. We have decided that her main dishes are the very best Thai food we've eaten anywhere in Thailand! And if I was making such a pig of myself tasting everything she sells, a full meal would cost less than 50 cents. But it sure is delicious making a pig of myself tasting everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
CRussel;[/B]2572392]Ouch. I know this one all too well, since I ended up having to have a total knee replacement about 3 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
MickiTee[/B];2572403]Double Ouch. I'm looking at two knee replacements at some point as both my knees are bad following a torn cartilage and the rising humidity in London is making them worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
cromag[/B];2572435]Thanks. Just back from another round of physical therapy. Tea #3 is waiting for me. And a couple more naproxen sodium tablets.
Knees are a pain in the neck. Or knee... Man was NOT made to walk upright. The joints just aren't designed for it. My knees were bad for years. I couldn't walk more than 200 meters before having to stop and let the pain reduce a bit. It's one of the reasons I put on so much weight... I couldn't do anything physical. These days I'm just so glad that I can walk again, I'm actually happy to walk 5-10km instead of taking a taxi or bus.

Quote:
Sorry to hear that cromag. But at least you have tea!
Tea really is one of Life's blessings, even if it didn't spring from Buddha's tear like the legend says. (Personally, I believe it did...)

Stitchawl
Old 07-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #25646
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Limes, glorious limes! I forgot just how good Asian limes really are. A bit like Florida's "Key Limes" but not quite. Very different from regular old American Limes. I bought a bagfull at a farmer's market today, 10 limes for about 15 cents, brought them home and am enjoying a Lime-ade right now! Delicious!

Thailand markets sell a very effective lime squeezer (limes are used in so many different Thai dishes) made from teak wood that we had in the drawer from the last time we lived here. It almost turns the lime inside out and squeezes out every bit of juice without getting any of the bitter oils.

Stitchawl
Old 07-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #25647
VydorScope
Wizard

So this is my last morning in the 5-star hotel in historic Philly. I am finally to the point where I can walk around and find necessities (like Starbucks) with out looking at my phone map. Its been interesting, and I definitely learned that you do not need a car if you live in a city. I parked my car in the garage the afternoon I arrive and have not pulled it out since. This might be the longest stretch in my life with out driving since getting my license... well not count my honeymoon cruise.

IT has been interesting for sure. For example this AM I was standing on line a Starbucks and a woman walked up to me to tell me that she is scared of werewolves. Yeah... So I guess that is information I needed to know. Not sure why, but maybe I should document it some place just in case?
Old 07-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #25648
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
IT has been interesting for sure. For example this AM I was standing on line a Starbucks and a woman walked up to me to tell me that she is scared of werewolves. Yeah... So I guess that is information I needed to know. Not sure why, but maybe I should document it some place just in case?
Just goes to show ya that people in Philly are pretty damn wise! Of course she's a afraid of werewolves! Who wouldn't be? Like I said... pretty damn wise. My friend Jolie Bookspan lives in Philly, and she's about the wisest person I've ever met. Maybe even a bit more centered than your new friend in Starbucks. At least I hope so.

Time for a glass of Bombay Sapphire and a plate of fresh lychees. I love it here!

Stitchawl
Old 07-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #25649
cromag

Due to the vagaries of NJ topography I live much closer to New York City but pick up Philadelphia radio and television. I don't recall any recent reports of werewolf attacks on the news programs ... but they'd probably hush that stuff up, anyway. Now I need to find a way to watch some old Kolchak reruns -- as soon as I finish my fourth mug of tea.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #25650
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Oh my! I loved Kolchak! That hat! That rumpled suit! Those corny monsters! That phony dialogue! It didn't get much better than that!

Large glass of Old Peculiar! After mowing the lawn in this heat & humidity!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?