Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Sony PRS-700 Made The 100 Worst Gadgets of the Decade List

Over at Gizmodo -

http://gizmodo.com/5431759/worst-gad...ery//gallery/1

its number 39

I really cant argue with them on this one
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
What?!
I love my PRS-700! I got it as a Christmas gift last year and I use mine every single day! I can't imagine life without it! (shudders)
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
It seems to be worst 50, not worst 100.

And Sony made 7 of them.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
It seems to be worst 50, not worst 100.

And Sony made 7 of them.

ah well counting was never my strong suit - or apparently reading the title of an article carefully

Top 50 is even worse though - A more selective list to make...
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
I agree with RedBarnMom...I LOVE my 700!!! I can read in dim light or no light without having to worry about if I have enough spare batteries for a booklight, or have to carry that booklight with me. It's quite rugged (IMO), and the size is just right for me. It reads a number of formats, changes font size quite nicely, and I've had no issues or problems with locking up or acting inappropriatley on any count. I can hold it in any manner, because I don't have to use a mechanical page turner...just flick my finger anywhere on the page. No, I don't agree with Gizmodo at all. I'm still very pleased with my little friend after a 6 month relationship...growing closer every day!!
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
The PRS700 was Sony trying to please everyone ("Wah Wah Wah You can't read in the dark") and forgetting the main idea with E-ink was that is was meant to be like a book and you can't read that in the dark.
I guess they learned that lesson and brought out the superior 600.
I agree with the UMD format and the Apple TV. Essentially useless inventions that are too restricted in what they can do.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I looked at the whole list. Most of them I've never heard of. Soooo many bad ideas!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #8
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
That is an interesting article by the way! Great find.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:41 PM   #9
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
This is BY FAR the funniest of them all:

Just click here...OMG, I am still cleaning up the spit-take!!

No dawggie should be w/o one!!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Frankly, I think this demonstrates why Gizmodo is a third-rate gadget blog. They have an axe to grind against e-books generally and Sony in particular. They even trashed the CLIE which has a fanatical fan-base. While I don't use the 700 as much as I used to (since I got my Pocketbook 360), it is quite a nice ebook reader. The back-light has come in handy alot (it was one of the reasons I bought the thing in the first place, along with the ability to annotate). If Sony would update the firmware to allow dictionary functionality and hand-written annotation, it would get much more use than its getting now. And it is sturdy. I've never heard of a 700 with a busted screen.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:36 PM   #11
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
tech-au wrote:
Quote:
the main idea with E-ink was that is was meant to be like a book and you can't read that in the dark.
Sorry, have to disagree...when we moved from scrolls handwritten on sheepskin or papyrus to bound books with paper pages, did folks complain? E-ink and it's associated readers are the next generation, and not necessarily meant to mimic what WAS. Why not have light as an integral part of the reading experience? And the downside to it is.....?
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:41 PM   #12
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
The downside is the screen layer for the lighting which considerably degrades the reading experience.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:08 PM   #13
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
The downside is the screen layer for the lighting which considerably degrades the reading experience.
Just because nobody has designed a mass production solution is not a downside to the question posed about what is the downside to FINDING a way to integrate light. It only means not enough pressure is on the mfg's to develop the solution....yet.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:16 PM   #14
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I agree with brecklundin, number 30 was hilarious. My hubby thought he was going to have to revive me because I was laughing so hard. Thank goodness I wasn't drinking anything or it would have been out my nose.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:51 PM   #15
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Just because nobody has designed a mass production solution is not a downside...
Uhm? It's a downside for the PRS-700. I make absolutely no comment to the wider issues.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote