Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-20-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
911jason
Zealot
911jason doesn't litter911jason doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
What to do when my new Kindle arrives...

This site is amazing and FULL of lots and lots of content. However, is there a single thread that helps the beginner find out what to do right from the start? My Kindle 2 is scheduled to arrive in less than 48 hours, and I want to start off with a and not a ...

1. I'd like to put my own screensaver on, and I've seen threads about doing so, but is it recommended? Does it affect my ability to update the firmware? Is it difficult to undo, update firmware and redo?

2. With all of these books available for download, do I need to download and THEN convert? What format do I convert them to? Once I have a file that is readable by my Kindle, how do I transfer?

3. I have a Skinit.com USC Trojans skin on the way, will install ASAP.

4. Anything else I should know or do?

911jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
First of all, go here and download, in pdf, the kindle users guide. Read it from cover to cover. That will answer many questions, but of course, not any 'hacking' ones.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200317150

Good luck!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
As for ebooks, if you are buying books from Amazon, they are already readable on the Kindle. I usually shop on the website and send myself samples of any books I want. There's a link at the end of a sample to get the whole book. Just turn on the wireless and there it is. You can also one-click order without sampling from the site or the device. I personally prefer samples.

If you are downloading books from other places, then it depends on the format of the book. The Kindle will read Mobipocket format without converting as long as it doesn't have DRM. Some sites (like this one, feedbooks.com, and probably others I'm not familiar with) have catalogs of books with links to the file. If you look through the catalog on your Kindle, you can download the books over the wireless by clicking the link.

You can convert other non-DRMed formats to Mobipocket with programs like Calibre. It's really very easy. Then you just transfer them to the Kindle via USB like it was a removable drive. If there is DRM on the file, it's a bit trickier. Most DRM schemes can be removed. Notable exceptions being Sony's .lrx and Amazon's .tpz. The Kindle can read .tpz natively and it's only sold through Amazon so it's not an issue here. I don't know of any way to convert an .lrx book. A warning: Removing DRM is of questionable legality. Some people theorize it's allowable for personal use. Others maintain it's not. It still hasn't been tried in court as far as I know.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote