Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Shirley Jackson!

I just noticed that four more of Shirley Jackson's books have been issued recently as e-books: The Haunting of Hill House, The Lottery and Other Stories, We Have Always Lived in the Castle, and The Witchcraft of Salem Village. Previously only the collection Just an Ordinary Day was out in digital form.

I wish the powers-that-be would hurry up and release Life Among the Savages and Raising Demons, and all the others!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post

I wish the powers-that-be would hurry up and release Life Among the Savages and Raising Demons, and all the others!
I love these. You and me both.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
BoiseShan
Connoisseur
BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle
Yay! <happy dance>

I'm on it right now! Thanks for letting us know.
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I remember reading "The Lottery" to a class of students and they were spellbound by the story. It led to a great discussion afterwards.

It is really great to see her work available electronically.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:23 PM   #5
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i'm a horror fan and i'm embarrassed to admit that i've never read any of her stuff.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Shirley Jackson is a little more than horror--a lot more, in fact. I am not even sure how one would classify her, although she is best known for The Haunting of Hill House and "The Lottery." I just call her "awesome."
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nicholson View Post
Shirley Jackson is a little more than horror--a lot more, in fact. I am not even sure how one would classify her, although she is best known for The Haunting of Hill House and "The Lottery." I just call her "awesome."
I think she's a master at finding the potential and hidden horrors of everyday life--e.g., "The Summer People." But then she can turn around and write hilarious stories of her family--e.g., "Charles," "The Night We All Had Grippe." Awesome indeed!
Old 08-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I just noticed that Google's bookstore is selling an e-book version of Life Among the Savages for $12.99. I'm a little leery of buying this since I don't see it offered anywhere else, though.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I just noticed that Google's bookstore is selling an e-book version of Life Among the Savages for $12.99. I'm a little leery of buying this since I don't see it offered anywhere else, though.
It's likely one of the works that Google took the liberty to scan without permission. They're currently in the 6th year of a lawsuit with the Authors Guild.

http://www.teleread.com/copy-right/i...ment-deadline/
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
TonyR
Connoisseur
TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle, Jetbook Lite, iPod Touch
And yet another Jackson title has been released for Kindle.

COME ALONG WITH ME, which includes the title novel, and a number of short stories and three of Jackson's lectures as well, is now available. Kinda pricey at 12.99, but hey, it's Shirley Jackson.

Unless I'm forgetting something, there should now be only three novels left from her backlist not yet available as ebooks -- THE ROAD THROUGH THE WALL, HANGSAMAN, and THE SUNDIAL. (RAISING DEMONS and LIFE AMONG THE SAVAGES were included in THE MAGIC OF SHIRLEY JACKSON, which is available for Kindle as well.)

Bests to all,
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
And yet another Jackson title has been released for Kindle.

COME ALONG WITH ME, which includes the title novel, and a number of short stories and three of Jackson's lectures as well, is now available. Kinda pricey at 12.99, but hey, it's Shirley Jackson.

Unless I'm forgetting something, there should now be only three novels left from her backlist not yet available as ebooks -- THE ROAD THROUGH THE WALL, HANGSAMAN, and THE SUNDIAL. (RAISING DEMONS and LIFE AMONG THE SAVAGES were included in THE MAGIC OF SHIRLEY JACKSON, which is available for Kindle as well.)

Bests to all,
Great, thanks--I just bought the epub from BN.

When I got my e-reader a little over a year ago, I believe the only Shirley Jackson title available as an e-book was Just an Ordinary Day. I'm thrilled that so many have been released in the past year.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #12
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
I suppose I'm in the underwhelming minority here, but, I wasn't the least bit impressed with "The Haunting of Hill House." It was a chore to get through, for me, despite how short it was.
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote