Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-24-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
iBooks & margins

Is there a way to get rid of the overly large margins used by iBooks? What a waste of screen real estate.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
I don't think there is an easy way around this...
It doesn't have to be easy as long as it can be done without jail breaking.

I did find a bug in iBooks. If you have the bottom margin set to 0, if the font size is not set to the smallest, the very tail end of the decending letters will appear just above the first line on the next page.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
If iBooks are DRM'd with Fairplay, can they be de-DRMed with software that was developed for iTunes, and run through calibre?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The eBooks have no DRM and the margins in the CSS are set to 0. In ADE, my 505, and Firefox, I do get no margins.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The eBooks have no DRM and the margins in the CSS are set to 0. In ADE, my 505, and Firefox, I do get no margins.
Yeah, looks like iBooks overrides margin settings-very irritating. It is such a puzzle trying to figure out what settings they do and don't support.

And I kinda dread going in to customize my ePubs just for the iPad because 1) its tedious and 2) who knows what iBooks 1.1 is going to bring? (I already tweaked my books just for Stanza, actually)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Yeah, looks like iBooks overrides margin settings-very irritating. It is such a puzzle trying to figure out what settings they do and don't support.

And I kinda dread going in to customize my ePubs just for the iPad because 1) its tedious and 2) who knows what iBooks 1.1 is going to bring? (I already tweaked my books just for Stanza, actually)
What I am wondering is if the ePub does have margins, does that actually make the margins in iBooks even bigger? I'll have to give it a test sometime soon to find out.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The B&N app allowed me tp get zero margins. So far, it is my favorite reading app.

Edit: and you can set it where taps turn pages and swipes bring up menus. So you have the full screen until you want to see a menu.

Last edited by DixieGal; 05-24-2010 at 12:53 PM.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
The B&N app allowed me tp get zero margins. So far, it is my favorite reading app.

Edit: and you can set it where taps turn pages and swipes bring up menus. So you have the full screen until you want to see a menu.
I did try the txtr app on the iPad the other day and found that when I zoomed in2x, it was just too fuzzy to enjoy reading.

So, would expect the same fuzziness from the B&N app as well.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:09 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I can't tell about fizziness. But you and I go way back, and you've helped me again and again. So you know that like everything else, I do see a shadowy double image that forces me to use sans serif to get as plain of a font as possible. I guess if it is fuzzy, it is unnoticeable amongst the floaters and doubles and blind spots. So anything big and black with white fonts are my only requirements, you know? So having options with the margins and stuff put it over the goal for me. I keep trying to highlight whatever works, because so many MRers have poor vision.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #10
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I've used the B&N reader at 2x on the iPad - and did not notice any objectionable fuzziness - was using Ariel font - fairly small size, black on white.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #11
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I've used the B&N reader at 2x on the iPad - and did not notice any objectionable fuzziness - was using Ariel font - fairly small size, black on white.
Its funny because Ariel is the most common or default used by Microsoft Word
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote