Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #256
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I think people get far too hung up on storage figures, you can still fit an awful lot of books on an e-reader even if it's only got 2GB of internal storage.

Besides, one of the features of Amazon is the ability to store your books on their servers instead of directly on your e-reader, and still be able to read them with just a couple of clicks in your archive. 2GB of content for anything not bought from Amazon and unlimited storage for your Amazon bought books, so where's the need for a huge amount of internal storage?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #257
SeigneurAo
Connoisseur
SeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kobo Glo
A reading of interest :
http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/10/1...te-limitations
SeigneurAo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #258
ragnor
ragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I think people get far too hung up on storage figures, you can still fit an awful lot of books on an e-reader even if it's only got 2GB of internal storage.

Besides, one of the features of Amazon is the ability to store your books on their servers instead of directly on your e-reader, and still be able to read them with just a couple of clicks in your archive. 2GB of content for anything not bought from Amazon and unlimited storage for your Amazon bought books, so where's the need for a huge amount of internal storage?
But what about comic books? I like to read comics and manga, and they take up much space. If I'm reading a manga, it would be annoying uploading chapter by chapter or volume by volume, instead of the whole series.

Besides that, I think is interesting to be able to upload your collection. Maybe I want to read a book, or a comic, or this little story. I don't want to plan what I have to read. Maybe I want to check this scientific paper again, and I can't do this if I have not planned before.

And if Paperwhite is not for comic books, why it has more resolution? I think it is almost unnoticeable in text.
ragnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #259
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnor View Post
I want to use it to read comics and PDFs/scientific papers.
For PDF/scientific papers, forget an eink reader and get an iPad. Much better for PDF then any 6" eink screen.

As for comics, the iPad is still better given that you get a larger screen and color.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #260
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
And if Paperwhite is not for comic books, why it has more resolution? I think it is almost unnoticeable in text.
The KPW's higher resolution will be more noticeable with smaller font sizes and graphics.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #261
bluesnews
Enthusiast
bluesnews began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
I love the fact that KOBO offers a native viewer for CBR and CBZ comic books. Combined with higher resolution and an expansion slot, KOBO beats KPW hands down.
bluesnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #262
ragnor
ragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For PDF/scientific papers, forget an eink reader and get an iPad. Much better for PDF then any 6" eink screen.

As for comics, the iPad is still better given that you get a larger screen and color.
Yeah, well. "Forget that Yaris and get a Mercedes".

I'm waiting for some comparison between Paperwhite and Kobo Glo.
I don't know if touch response will be equal as it seems on videoreviews.
ragnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #263
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
The reason I prefer the Glo is not just availability, but the extra storage due to the SD slot.

Both the Kindle Paperwhite and Kobo Glo can view pictures in ZIP files (although with the latter, it has to be with a CBZ file extension), but the latter lets you use the SD slot to put more such files onto the device. Given that PDF's and images take up more space than your standard ePub novel (unless it has a crapload of illustrations), the extra space is much more important... and no, not everywhere has WiFi or 3G service, despite what Amazon seems to think.

One thing I will note with the 1024x758 resolution is that I have much better looking PDF files and CBZ files, even if I don't go out of my way to resize them; the extra resolution helps preserve detail. If PDF's and CBZ files are more important to you, I'd recommend sticking with the Glo. Or going with a Nexus 7 tablet, which does rather both well using Perfect Viewer and MuPDF.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #264
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But what about comic books? I like to read comics and manga, and they take up much space. If I'm reading a manga, it would be annoying uploading chapter by chapter or volume by volume, instead of the whole series.

Besides that, I think is interesting to be able to upload your collection. Maybe I want to read a book, or a comic, or this little story. I don't want to plan what I have to read. Maybe I want to check this scientific paper again, and I can't do this if I have not planned before.

I've no idea how big comic books files are, but really, apart from one requiring an internet connection (cloud storage - though not if you buy a 3G Kindle) and one requiring an additional purchase (SD card), what is the difference between storing your content on the Kindle or the Kobo - when it comes down to it they are both external storage, and there's no planning required to access either of them?
Old 10-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #265
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've no idea how big comic books files are, but really, apart from one requiring an internet connection (cloud storage - though not if you buy a 3G Kindle) and one requiring an additional purchase (SD card), what is the difference between storing your content on the Kindle or the Kobo - when it comes down to it they are both external storage, and there's no planning required to access either of them?
The difference is convenience - a SD card will always be accessible, barring device issues. You can't guarantee the wireless connection will be available. Also, most of the comics on Amazon or Kobo are available only on their tablets. If you got them elsewhere (there are free comics or manga), you can't keep a lot on the cloud via Amazon.

Not everyone lives in downtown Manhattan and never leaves the nearest Starbucks or the range of a cell tower.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #266
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Not everyone lives in downtown Manhattan and never leaves the nearest Starbucks or the range of a cell tower.
Exactly. That is my situation. Cloud storage is next to useless where I live. And even if it was not, I would still prefer not having to depend on it. I want my books to be on my device, with me. And I still prefer internal memory, because I noticed that using SD cards slows my device down.
So that is one of the reasons why I am leaning towards the Onyx Glowlight now. It is the only reader that features 8Gb of internal memory.
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #267
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

I agree although I'd swap ipad with tablet. Also agree about the cloud. Its only useful if you have an internet connection.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #268
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
The difference is convenience - a SD card will always be accessible, barring device issues. You can't guarantee the wireless connection will be available. Also, most of the comics on Amazon or Kobo are available only on their tablets. If you got them elsewhere (there are free comics or manga), you can't keep a lot on the cloud via Amazon.
Which is why I said cloud storage requires an internet connection but not if you buy a 3G Kindle. No internet connection is needed, and in addition to your unlimited Amazon content, it gives you an another 5GB for non-Amazon content.

I've no idea what the 3G coverage is like in your part of the world, but I know that here in the UK here will be plenty of remote areas where you might not get a 3G signal either, but cloud storage has it's advantages too. You can't misplace it, you don't need to remember to take it with you, your dog can't chew it, you can't wash it in your jeans pocket, etc.

I'm not arguing that cloud storage is better than an SD card, like I said in my original post here, I just think people make too much of it in regards the Kindle, conveniently ignoring the fact that there is expandable storage, just in cloud form instead of an SD card.

It's immaterial to me anyway, I use my e-reader for reading novels and nothing much else, I've currently got about 15 books on it and would have a hard time filling up the 3GB capacity even if I put every ebook I owned on it.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #269
Haesslich
Fanatic

Quote:
Which is why I said cloud storage requires an internet connection but not if you buy a 3G Kindle. No internet connection is needed, and in addition to your unlimited Amazon content, it gives you an another 5GB for non-Amazon content.

I've no idea what the 3G coverage is like in your part of the world, but I know that here in the UK here will be plenty of remote areas where you might not get a 3G signal either, but cloud storage has it's advantages too. You can't misplace it, you don't need to remember to take it with you, your dog can't chew it, you can't wash it in your jeans pocket, etc.

I'm not arguing that cloud storage is better than an SD card, like I said in my original post here, I just think people make too much of it in regards the Kindle, conveniently ignoring the fact that there is expandable storage, just in cloud form instead of an SD card.

It's immaterial to me anyway, I use my e-reader for reading novels and nothing much else, I've currently got about 15 books on it and would have a hard time filling up the 3GB capacity even if I put every ebook I owned on it.
The Paperwhite only has 1.4 gb of space. And not everywhere has 3G coverage or Amazon arranged access to it (that's still Internet access). Especially not in subways, underground, or some buildings.

If you read PDF files or comics, the 1.4 gigs (not 3) is pretty small. That's why I'm using a Kobo.

Plus, it's hard to forget an SD card when it's already inside the reader. And I don't count Anazon's cloud storage as expandable - you don't get a lot of space for personal files. Plus some downloads can take ages - I'd rather the local storage.

Last edited by Haesslich; 10-19-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #270
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

Why argue points I've already stated, yes you don't get 3G access everywhere, and yes there is a limit to non-Amazon files or personal docs (and I do have over 3gb of space on my Kindle as I don't own a paperwhite ).

The bottom line is, both the Kobo and the Kindle have 2GB internal storage, and both are expandable, one with a physical SD card, the other with cloud based storage. Obviously the SD card is a better, more versatile option, but it doesn't mean the other is non-existent, that's the only point I am trying to make.