Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 02:17 AM   #1
Bronwyn
Bronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo
Kobo not book marking

Just settled down for a good read,powered on Kobo, chapter five, page1. Should be chapter 5 page 163. I then had to page(slowly) through to page 163
Just as well I had written down which page I was up to.
This happens each time I power on. Any solutions would be appreciated.
Bronwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Hi Bronwyn welcome to MobileRead.
I haven't experienced your problem - the only time I have ever lost my bookmarks was before the upgrade when Kobo needed recharging. It would just die and after I recharged the book mark was always where I had been up to the previous time I shut down.
Maybe some more information could someone come up with an answer for you.
How are you shutting down your Kobo? Are you actually shutting down or letting it sleep and then shut off automatically?
Also what type of book are you are reading? Is it happening just with one book or with all of them?
Have you tried Kobo customer support? They do take a while to respond sometimes and you often get a fairly generic response but they may be able to help you.
Good luck.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
mreclass
Enthusiast
mreclass began at the beginning.

I have had this issue before. My kobo is running the 1.4 firmware. I can only remember this happening twice before and only with one book. It is an ePub version (previously PDF) of The God Delusion. When I would power on the unit from a completely shut down state, it would bring me to a page or two before the page I had left off.

I just grabbed my kobo to test it out and it resumed on the page I actually left off on....sneaky sneaky kobo.
mreclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
Bronwyn
Bronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura about

An update on my missing bookmarks. Kobo, who got back to me in less than 24hrs,said to use the paper clip.Nothing changed. Did a factory reset, nothing changed. Went into A&R Geelong & they replaced it no questions asked. I was hoping for a pre update one but I got an updated one. I hate having to power on every time I take break. Never mind. All will be good in my reading world once I figure out calibre & can get rid of those freebies. Thanks for your suggestions
Bronwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #5
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronwyn View Post
...I was hoping for a pre update one but I got an updated one. I hate having to power on every time I take break. Never mind. All will be good in my reading world once I figure out calibre & can get rid of those freebies. Thanks for your suggestions
If you have an updated Kobo all you need to do to "hide" the freebies - not permenantly delete them - is to use the menu button to choose to display BOOKS then use the display button to choose whether you want to show ALL BOOKS or MY BOOKS or PRE-LOADED BOOKS.

If you choose MY BOOKS the pre-loaded freebies disappear from the bookshelf except for any that you have opened as the Kobo assumes you want to read them.

Although I agree that figuring out calibre is a very handy skill.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:54 AM   #6
pleochroic
pleochroic began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, OLPC XO
*sigh*. this just started happening to me; my kobo no longer keeps track of new bookmarks when powered down (it retains the old ones). it happens with any books i have tried, and documents as well.

now trying all remedies i can think of.

paperclip reset: no change
hooking it back up to computer so it can re-process content: no change
MENU-CENTER DPAD-POWER: no change
MENU-CENTER DPAD-paperclip: no change

when i last hooked the kobo up to the computer, i noticed that i had only 8KB left on the device (which is less than there was when i last loaded books onto it). so i deleted several books, to give it more room (since maybe it's a DB update issue), and left 8.4MB available.

and that solved the problem in my case; bookmarking works again.
pleochroic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:23 AM   #7
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleochroic View Post
and that solved the problem in my case; bookmarking works again.
Yep. Operating system needs some space to breath. To write log files
and make paging. Cannot say what is true for the reader.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
I had this problem (among others) and found that the sqlite database file was corrupted and had to re-install. There is a sticky now on how to do this. This solved it for me.
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:30 PM   #9
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Hmm, I would have hoped that if there was insufficient space to record your bookmarks that the Kobo would come up with an error message telling you so.

Has anyone looked at the source code to see what sort of error messages are in there? Zoran?
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote