Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-23-2007, 10:17 AM   #16
Vaporware
Not here yet.
Vaporware began at the beginning.

Device: ETI-2 Ebook Reader
Thanks, I'll do some more formatting and see what I can come up with
Vaporware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:41 AM   #17
dstampe
dstampe
dstampe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
To be really useful (that is, something I'd use rather than converting the book to RTF then to PDF) it would need these features (as settable options):

- Parse and use style files (in some cases this could be replaced by forcing a font size and name).

- Change the specified font and scale the size (for readability)

- Embed non-standard fonts in the LRF.

- Possibly enforce format changes (i.e. all boldface) for readability, convert full-justify to left-justify as this may be more readable).

- handle LRF files with multiple HTML files embedded (some books have the text divided into many small files).

- TOC would be nice, especailly for long books.
dstampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #18
jonbaber
jonbaber began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Nice work Waykohler... this is a great tool! Much easier than converting it all manually, and nicely formatted too.

So far the only .lit that hasn't worked is a copy I have of Ken Follett's - Pillars of the Earth, but that is a problem with clit itself. I have never been able to convert that file for some reason. Luckily I have a paperback copy of it
jonbaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:14 AM   #19
waykohler
waykohler began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstampe
To be really useful (that is, something I'd use rather than converting the book to RTF then to PDF) it would need these features (as settable options):

- Parse and use style files (in some cases this could be replaced by forcing a font size and name).

- Change the specified font and scale the size (for readability)

- Embed non-standard fonts in the LRF.

- Possibly enforce format changes (i.e. all boldface) for readability, convert full-justify to left-justify as this may be more readable).

- handle LRF files with multiple HTML files embedded (some books have the text divided into many small files).

- TOC would be nice, especailly for long books.
Thanks for your feedback dstampe.

Hm, style file. Can you describe this in more detail? Im afraid I dont know what that is. There is a style section in the html but I dont think I have seen a lit with a style file.

The font size can be changed by pressing the size button on the reader. Not exactly what you want but....

Non standard fonts... Hm.. I always meant to not use the fonts in the LIT itself but reformat it totally according to my rules. LIT files has a tendency to be formated very differently and I like my books standardized. If you don't like my style... Well I'll see if I can do a "style" editor later on.

It actually does handle multiple html files in one LIT file. Is does a page break in between them.

Yupp TOC would be nice.
waykohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #20
NetVicious
NetVicious began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Hi! Thanks a lot for your application.

I got this error when trying to transfor a lit file.

Extracting.
Converting.

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

If you want please send me a private message and I could send you the .lit file

Thanks.
NetVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2007, 10:53 AM   #21
Doof
Doof began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Any news on this?
Doof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:39 AM   #22
dstampe
dstampe
dstampe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waykohler
Thanks for your feedback dstampe.

Hm, style file. Can you describe this in more detail? Im afraid I dont know what that is. There is a style section in the html but I dont think I have seen a lit with a style file.

The font size can be changed by pressing the size button on the reader. Not exactly what you want but....

Non standard fonts... Hm.. I always meant to not use the fonts in the LIT itself but reformat it totally according to my rules. LIT files has a tendency to be formated very differently and I like my books standardized. If you don't like my style... Well I'll see if I can do a "style" editor later on.

It actually does handle multiple html files in one LIT file. Is does a page break in between them.

Yupp TOC would be nice.

In explanation for some of these requests, I am looking at how to use the contents of a Microsoft Reader file. This consists of (at least for this book) a set of HTML files (about 40, with one chapter, title page, cover etc. in each) and links to form the book.

All style (paragraph and fonts) is in .CSS files (these are the page style files) for the text, with embedded tags in the text to select a style and to to set bold, italic etc. So these files need to be changed in order to set font face and style.

Finally, the nonstandard fonts are to make the text more readable on the smaller, lower contrast Sony Reader display. This really needs a larger font with fatter strokes such as a boldface Arial or Tiresias Bold. Times Roman types just are not very legible to me on the reader.

In the end, on this project I had to just convert the LIT to HTML, then the HTML to RTF (thus losing all pictures and structure), then hand-splicing the RTF files back into books, then convert all but boldface to boldface Arial and the ofiginal boldface to boldface Courier New (as boldface was critical for this book). Not great, but at least the Reader could handle the resulting RTF file well. I also tried converting to a PDF file with embedded fonts, but anything over 300 pages was ridiculously slow in turning pages in the last half, and there seemed to be a hard limit of 1000 PDF pages (I have not been able to get feedback as to whether anyone else has encountered this limit).

This is not something I'd want to repeat on a lot of books. So some kind of way to embed the desired fonts in the LRF and to change font type and size tags in the CSS and HTML files would be enough.

As for the TOC, I'd be OK if there was a page with links that could be bookmarked, then navigated via the existing HTML links.
dstampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:52 AM   #23
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I am running into problems with lit2lrf -- I downloaded the 3 free ebooks from silkpagoda in .lit format (just to test things out).

I was able to get lit2lrf to run apparently, but encountered the following:
dragga.lit (103KB) became dragga.lrf (3KB) and in the desktop Connect software the .lrf book shows that there are 2 pages but they are blank.

jourwest.lit (1.3MB) became jourwest.lrf (1.6MB) but when I open in the Connect software Journey West opens showing 1 page, which is blank.

What did I do wrong? I extracted all 3 of the zipped programs into c:\lit2lrf and I get no error messages when attempting the conversion.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:17 PM   #24
humandroid
Connoisseur
humandroid began at the beginning.

Any idea what would cause this?

Quote:
lit2lrf r.lit
r.lit
Extracting.
Converting.
Compiling LRF.
No file created.'C' not found.

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
humandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:22 PM   #25
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Is this locked in to Windows?

You mentioned it's a command line tool, and I've had some luck so far compiling other things. I've actually been added paragraph flow and smart quote support in makelrf3 under Mac OS X Intel (endian's an issue, so the Intel saves me here).

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #26
phigdon
phigdon began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
i cant get it do more than start in a dos window and it closes in less than a second. i also tried typing out the command line any ideas?
phigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:30 AM   #27
Elltrain
Elltrain began at the beginning.

Use the -v option. This fixed the "not doing anything" behavior for me, but the file I converted had the first word of every paragraph missing.
Elltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:38 PM   #28
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
A more powerful (cross platform) alternative
clit + html2lrf
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:16 AM   #29
NetVicious
NetVicious began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Hi kovidgoyal.

Could you tell us the website for clit. I Googled but clit it's a very used word
NetVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:23 AM   #30
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://www.convertlit.com/
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote