Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
dwbryant2000
Enthusiast
dwbryant2000 began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1150, Gen 3, BEBOOK, ILIAD BOOK READER
Mobipocket Formatting

When I use the creator to convert ebooks I seem to lose all formatting. Any Ideas what I am doing wrong?
dwbryant2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
What are you converting from (doc, html, rtf)? Would you mind posting a sample?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
dwbryant2000
Enthusiast
dwbryant2000 began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1150, Gen 3, BEBOOK, ILIAD BOOK READER
Mostly I use MS word to convert from. Usually lose both the indentation and any Itallics.
dwbryant2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:26 AM   #4
Omar_Mobi
Omar_Mobi began at the beginning.

Device: IPAQ
Hi guys

Not only that, but tables, pictures all are missed.

I like the idea of reading from my IPAQ but, no formatting is really hard, specially if the book is teaching you.

And the format i'm using to convert to mobi is .pdf
Omar_Mobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:26 AM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar_Mobi View Post
Hi guys

Not only that, but tables, pictures all are missed.

I like the idea of reading from my IPAQ but, no formatting is really hard, specially if the book is teaching you.

And the format i'm using to convert to mobi is .pdf
Geez, PDF is the worst format to convert from. Sorry to have to break it to you like that, but when converting directly from PDF without manual formatting you'll have to live with all formatting gone or, worse, formatting in all the wrong places. So convert from PDF to text or html, restore the formatting where it belongs, then convert to Mobi.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 12:18 AM   #6
Omar_Mobi
Omar_Mobi began at the beginning.

Device: IPAQ
mtravellerh

If what you are saying is going to solve the problem, I don't mind how you broke it.

I'll try & give you feed back once finished
Omar_Mobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #7
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
I tried some .doc conversion too, and it didn't go well.
So now I save my doc files into html, and convert the html instead !
Goes a lot better !

PS : Plus Html can be converted via Calibre too, if Mobipocket Creator doesn't do the trick.

Last edited by Idoine; 03-26-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

Device: currently: ipod touch
the horrors of pdf formatting are getting really old, and i've only had my kindle for a month.

lately, calibre's doing something weird with my pdf's. i don't *think* they are 2-column pages, but calibre's somehow interweaving lines anyway. Looks fine on the surface, then turns out to be impossible to read, because each line is part one line, part another. i don't think this is calibre's problem; imagine mobipocket will do the same thing; will test tonight. i'd love to figure out the perfect formula for 'flowing' pdf columns into block text..

i am frustrated, because i have huge amounts of reading to do for school, and a day-job thingy, and am blowing significant reading time on the train with these impossible files. my hopes were a little too high that my kindle would be useful for this kind of thing, i guess. but i *don't* want to revert to reading this stuff on my ipod touch. (ow, my aching head..)

does anyone know whether this is being worked on? and - why, oh why, doesn't amazon care about meeeee ?
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
lately, calibre's doing something weird with my pdf's. i don't *think* they are 2-column pages, but calibre's somehow interweaving lines anyway. Looks fine on the surface, then turns out to be impossible to read, because each line is part one line, part another. i don't think this is calibre's problem; imagine mobipocket will do the same thing; will test tonight. i'd love to figure out the perfect formula for 'flowing' pdf columns into block text.
I suggest posting in the Calibre forum. A recent thread that might be of interest is Regexes to improve pdf to epub conversion. These changes are not in the released version of Calibre yet, but you could ask in that thread if your PDFs will work. A public domain PDF could be posted in that thread, but for other PDFs you would be better off making a ticket at Calibre's web site and attaching it there. It is a grey area, but I typically assume that posting a document for the purposes of bug-fixing is fair use (but choose the most sharable one you have with the problem, and if you have software to extract a few pages from the PDF that is even better).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

Device: currently: ipod touch
i kind of pestered the nice calibre man yesterday and the day before about something else.. but your suggestion is a very good ont.

i'd have asked kovid about this issue right off the bat, but was figuring that mobipocket creator would have the same issue. my last bad conversion was bad coming out of both calibre and mobipocket creator. but, this time the mobipocket creator conversion came out far better.

i'm beginning to predict the death of the pdf -- although i could be exaggerating. even if it should survive, the 'portable' part of that is proving to be not so portable..

in the meantime, i've got a bunch of pdf's to run through the mobipocket creator-grinder..

thanks for the excellent idea.
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote