Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
Fredness
Fredness began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Kobo crashes my pc after plugging in USB

I am probably going to call Kobo tomorrow regarding this issue. I think I will be returning it... still debating whether to get a replacement or my money.

As soon as I plug the usb into my pc ( windows 7 64 bit ) I get a blue screen of death and a memory dump.... every time. Tried it on my son's old windows xp.. worked fine. I tried in on 2 other computers ( windows 7 and vista ) both BSOD and also tried a different micro usb cable ... didn't make a difference.

Has anyone experienced this? I have never had a usb device do that before! I wonder if it got messed up when I tried to plug it into the usb as a last ditch effort to get it to turn on. I did this when Kobo support couldn't help me and sent me to tier 2. This is straight out of the box... never turned on even after it's first charge of 5 hrs.. all I got was a continuous flashing green light. It did wake up when I plugged in the usb and did a FACTORY RESET and then I got it updated and seemed to work fine ... until the next day when I attempted to plug it into the pc again

Last edited by Fredness; 12-26-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Fredness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
I use windows 7 64 bit and never had this happen.

That being said, I can't remember connecting via usb recently. I graduated to dropbox and subsequently to using es file explorer to access my local network shares via wifi so no cables needed anymore...
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
This sounds very much like a corrupted driver on your PC. When you restart after the failire are there any hints in the Windows Event Viewer as to the name of the driver that caused the crash?

Are there any entries in Add / Remove programs (or whatever it's current name is) related to Kobo Vox that you could uninstall?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Just so we're all on the same page here, exactly what are you supposed to see or do when you connect your Vox to your PC with the USB cable? I have Windows XP and it comes up as a new disk drive and looks like this:

If I wanted to move an ebook or an app installation file (*.apk) to the Vox, where would I put it? I don't see my download directory there. Do I have to root my Vox to see all the directories? So far I haven't seen any of the problems everybody else here has been talking about. Will rooting the Vox bring problems? The one biggie I can see is that it has to be unrooted and then re-rooted again whenever there is an update and then the apps are not the same as before.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Okay, the image in my previous post is exactly what I see on my microSD card, so when I plug in my Vox, all I see is what's on the external SD card, not even what's on the Vox. How come? How can I see what's on the Vox by plugging it into my PC.

I should also add that I have Kobo Desktop on my PC and the Kobo icon is always greyed out and inactive, whether I plug in the Vox or not. Should the Kobo icon be inactive?
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert