Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Conversion of eReader to ePub breaks footnotes

I've already opened a ticket for this, but I'm hoping that someone can tell me I've simply done something stupid. Anyway...
  1. Start with a DRM-free eReader file (it'll be a .pdb) that includes one or more footnotes.
  2. Import the book into Calibre.
  3. Convert to ePub
  4. Send the ePub to your Sony Reader
  5. Observe that clicking on a footnote link takes you to the beginning of the book, not to the footnote.
  6. Unzip the ePub, and see that the footnote references don't refer to the same links as the anchors that are defined in the footnotes themselves.

Or maybe I made an obvious mistake in the above. I've opened ticket 3806 and have attached a sample pdb file as a source to provoke the bug.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Links

It seems to be a flaw in the epub firmware. Links do not work correctly. Doesn't matter what the source is. The problem seems to be worse going backward than forward from what I remember. Very aggravating.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
It seems to be a flaw in the epub firmware. Links do not work correctly. Doesn't matter what the source is. The problem seems to be worse going backward than forward from what I remember. Very aggravating.
There may well also be a flaw in the ePub firmware -- I've not gotten that far yet. But when I looked at the underlying XML the links referencing the footnotes did not match the anchors for the footnotes. And that is a problem in the data conversion. Once that is fixed, I'll get to run into the firmware problem next.

Sigh. One bug at a time, I guess.

Xenophon
Old 10-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
@Xenophon, I'm going to look into and hopefully fix this issue sometime this week.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
I converted from HTML to ePub with Calibre. The book had a lot of footnotes, all working OK in my browser. I transferred the resulting ePub to my Sony Reader, and they are not working anymore (always going to the same page).
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 06:30 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Endnotes do work fine in ADE on Sony Readers. I've converted Discworld eBooks over to ePub and the endnotes are fine. Not a problem with the internal links.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was able to reproduce the bug Xenophon reported with the test case that was submitted. I've committed a fix.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #8
Xenophon
curmudgeon

Quote:
I was able to reproduce the bug Xenophon reported with the test case that was submitted. I've committed a fix.
Yaaay!
Old 03-24-2010, 06:20 AM   #9
harpreetdit
harpreetdit began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
footnote problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Hi
i m also facing the same problem for footnote.Its not working. can you help me how to fix this problem.
thanks
harpreet
harpreetdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:22 AM   #10
user_none

What version of calibre are you using?
Old 03-24-2010, 06:28 AM   #11
harpreetdit
harpreetdit began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
i m using version calibre 0.6.16
harpreetdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetdit View Post
i m using version calibre 0.6.16
Are you really reporting a bug in software that is about 30 versions out of date?

Don't you think you should bring your version current before suggesting that something doesn't work?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote