Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Avatar Stealing needs to be banned

We should have a rule in place at MR that says that it's not OK for someone to steal someone else's avatar.

Currently Polyphemus has stolen my avatar and I find that offensive. Please sort it out so he has to remove my avatar.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Did you create the image, Jon, or did you just use it first?

Last edited by taming; 10-25-2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: clarity replaced "borrow' with use
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
This needs to go beyond MR. Other sites are also stealing JSW's avatar.

http://frct3.forumactif.com/t220-fun...a-fete-foraine

Scroll down for proof.

There is even more blatant stealing.

http://www.ariase.com/fr/forum/la-tv...opic10916.html

This is getting out of control.

http://communauteduplateau.winnerbb....1-fep-drop-pod

I give up.

http://www.oleoo.com/viewtopic.php?id=184550

I feel a lawsuit coming on. Any lawyers out their who can fight this injustice?
Old 10-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Did you create the image, Jon, or did you just "borrow" it first?
The point is using the same avatar on the same forum. What's done on other forums isn't an issue. So would you like it if everyone on MR decided to use your avatar and every time you changed, everyone changed too?

It's akin to identity theft.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

MR provides a selection of 63 avatars that could be used over and over again by multiple people. I can understand why you might be upset (and it is a wonderful avatar), but I am not sure that there can be a rule about using an image like this one. I, on the other hand, created my avatar and actually own the image. I can't imagine that anyone wants a picture of my foot, of course.

There is an interesting article on Wired about Tux, who owns it, and its history. See: http://www.wired.com/culture/lifesty.../2001/03/42209

Last edited by taming; 10-25-2011 at 09:30 PM. Reason: took out a redundant word
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Something needs to be banned, that's for sure.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Something needs to be banned, that's for sure.
Don't go there or you might end up staying there.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Use this one, Jon...he can defend himself.

Last edited by TimW; 10-25-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Ultimately, I guess the moderators will need to decide this if your attempts to just talk to Polyphemus about how much this means to you have failed.

Last edited by taming; 10-25-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:13 PM   #10
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Don't go there or you might end up staying there.
Careful Kenny. That sounds like a threat.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I hope that no one else wants to use my high school yearbook picture!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I hope that no one else wants to use my high school yearbook picture!
It's a nice picture. I am almost attempted to use. But will not dare...LOL

I think personalizing with something is the best way to keep the avatar to yourself. Yours is a good example.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:53 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If this is your personally-created, copyrighted, image, Jon, then yes, you have a right to ask other people not to use it without your permission. If, however, you do not hold the copyright to the image, then anyone else has just as great a right to use it as you do.

The best way to ensure a unique avatar is to create one yourself. That way it's your property, and you can be sure that you are the only person who will use it.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:09 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Someone used my monkeytar awhile back. It was cool to haz a twin.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #15
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So would you like it if everyone on MR decided to use your avatar and every time you changed, everyone changed too?

It's akin to identity theft.
I wouldn't care if everyone decided to use my Dangermouse & Penfold avatar.

Suggesting that it's akin to identity theft is a massive exaggeration, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If this is your personally-created, copyrighted, image, Jon, then yes, you have a right to ask other people not to use it without your permission. If, however, you do not hold the copyright to the image, then anyone else has just as great a right to use it as you do.
Exactly why I have no objection to anyone else using my avatar. I can't object to someone stealing something from me if it's not mine in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The best way to ensure a unique avatar is to create one yourself. That way it's your property, and you can be sure that you are the only person who will use it.
Agreed. I would have a very different opinion if you owned the copyright to your avatar.
Closed Thread