Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
pwright2
Connoisseur
pwright2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Managing two Kindles

I presume I am not alone and am interested in how others are dealing with this.

I have had a Kindle Touch since last Christmas. Have grown to love it and finally had enough apps to do 'things it was not intended to do' that it pretty much became my full time PDA/reader. I have a fair number of books but I actually made more use of the 'Send to Kindle' programs to put documents and other info on it so that it was my reference library.

Now I have a Kindle Fire2. Very nice. I've spent the last 5 days trying to get apps to do the sort of thing I want it to do. Think I am finally there. Well, except for managing documents.

Don't care for the Carousel much. Apparently I am not alone there. Favorites are OK but I'm building up a lot of those ... plus I have a hard time remembering what the icons stand for. Really need text captions.

Have an app called Apps Box that helps with my Apps. Stores them in folders and gives them captions. Would be nice if it did the same thing with my books and documents.

Anyhow, one of the many differences between how the Touch handled books/documents is Collections. I could classify each item and store it under the classification. So I have a Collection named Tech Docs and I can keep both Books and Documents there. On the Fire all these things are on the Carousel and you have to spin past them all to find one and they are not grouped in any useful way (that I can tell).

OTOH, it has brought to my attention how many docs I have sent to the Kindle that I have no need of any more. And how difficult it is to get rid of them.

Yes, I can knock them off the device easily enough, but they remain up in the cloud. And when I go looking for something in the cloud, I have to page past all this dross.

I haven't found any way from either the Touch or the Fire to delete stuff from the cloud. I can use my PC to browse to Manage My Kindle on the Amazon site but, even then, it is difficult. Browse thru the pages (or do a search if you know a keyword). Find the document. Choose delete. Approve the deletion. If you are quick and the web is slow you can do a second one, and then the page refreshes and you are back to the first page of documents. Makes for a very slow cleanup process.

Sorry for long ramblingness. Anyhow, it is nice to know that anything I 'Send to Kindle' for my Touch is also available in the cloud for my Fire. Just wish both the Fire and the Cloud would do collections and allow some mass management.

-----Paul-----
pwright2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
1st of all Remove them from the Carosel! Hold you finger on them & then when the box popsup tap Delete from Carosel.
2nd eBooks you buy from Amazon will be under BOOK & the others under DOCS For the ones under Books you can buy fro $0 to about $3 eBook app called Collections! I Have yet to find anything for the DOCS ebooks. BUT in Either Collection you can Sort them By Title or Author. Another trick I use is when Reading a Series I put them in the Carosel in Order! Some one also suggested useing Favs for that as what ever you open on the Fire ends up on the carosel inc any New items.

To Delete from Fire or Touch HOLD afinger on the item then when the popup comes on tap Delete from Divice!

To Delete from Cloud Go to Cloud Find the Item HOLD finger on it the box will ask IF you want to DELETE fore CLoud! Keep in mind IF you remove an item for the Cloud You didnt get from Amazon you lose it forever!

Last edited by Barbara1955; 12-31-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post

To Delete from Cloud Go to Cloud Find the Item HOLD finger on it the box will ask IF you want to DELETE fore CLoud!
You sure about that? I'm pretty sure if you want it permanently deleted from your cloud account you have do it from amazon.com.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:37 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
He asked how to remove from Cloud. IF he wants to Delets Permantly then he has to go to his Amazon Acount. BUT IT will stay on Divice & Cloud Until its removed Even If deleted for his acount.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloud, collections, documents, fire2, touch