Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-14-2007, 04:14 AM   #91
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well... Book Cleaner fixes some issues when loading content. Em dashes ar ethe biggest issue. I don't like to find someone's created a book and posted it here with no em dahses. It's a pet peeve. There are also some instances where Book Designer will split a paragraph and that's been fixed. European angled quotes have just been fixed as well.
I am bit lost with all this terminology.

Quote:
European angled quotes
What is it?

Quote:
em dahses
What is it? dash is -
There are two instances when it is being used?
Quote:
greenhouse gas emissions - which mainly come from burning fossil fuels - from 1990 levels by 2020
or
Quote:
maintain a longer-term ambition
What is em dash? How does it look?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:29 AM   #92
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash#En...versus_em_dash
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:33 AM   #93
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Some languages use these characters for quotations (mainly German, I believe):

Quote:
»this is a quote«
An "em-dash" is a "long" dash used for a "pause" in a sentence: For example (from my "Sherlock Holmes Omnibus"),

Quote:
The other day—Thursday, to be more exact—Dr. Mortimer lunched with us.
The em-dash is a different character from the hyphen, which is used to connect related words. Again a quote from Sherlock Holmes:

Quote:
Half-way down is the moor-gate, where the old gentleman left his cigar-ash
(Note that Victorian English used hyphens more than we do today. Most people today wouldn't put a hyphen in "half way" or "cigar ash".)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:49 AM   #94
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks!

Until today I thought that em dash is a glitch and always converted it to space hypen/dash space.
So, it looks like that:
Quote:
emissions - which
I was wrong...?

Last edited by astra; 12-14-2007 at 04:51 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:07 AM   #95
astra
The Introvert

Is it possible to aplly it to html0?
I mean I have already edited a book. Can I apply bookcleaner to html0 or it should be done before I start to edit a book?
Old 12-14-2007, 07:29 AM   #96
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The book cleaner rules are applied when BD "imports" a book. I don't think they can be applied afterwords. Is that right, Jon?
Old 12-15-2007, 05:08 AM   #97
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Thanks!

Until today I thought that em dash is a glitch and always converted it to space hypen/dash space.
So, it looks like that:

I was wrong...?
Yes.

That said, if you were going to convert to space dash space, you should have been converting to space en dash space

Your example: emissions - which

With an en dash: emissions – which

If you left it as it was it would look like...

With an em dash: emissions—which
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:10 AM   #98
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The book cleaner rules are applied when BD "imports" a book. I don't think they can be applied afterwards. Is that right, Jon?
Once the content is loaded into Book Designer, Book Cleaner is done. Yes you are correct that you cannot use BC to fix anything after the content is loaded.

The Book Cleaner files keep em dashes and even convert -- to em dashes as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:34 AM   #99
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes.

That said, if you were going to convert to space dash space, you should have been converting to space en dash space

Your example: emissions - which

With an en dash: emissions – which

If you left it as it was it would look like...

With an em dash: emissions—which
Yes, that's what I have been doing.

However, now when I have learned how to use cleaner, I don't need to do it.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:10 PM   #100
Pdrpdr
Pdrpdr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
How did you do it?
It was a text document, croped page's number, selected all the text and pasted it on Word. There, deleted all page's break (using Replace ^m) and saved it as .rtf. Then used Bookdesigner and it loaded italics perfectly (they were missed if I just load the .pdf).

By the way.. i didn't try BC yet :P. I'll try again using it.
Pdrpdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:08 PM   #101
ebookfab
ebookfab began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, Sony PRS505, Sony 650, Sony PRS T1
I have installed Book Designer 5.0 and have had very good results in converting and formatting books for my Sony PRS-500 and 505. However, there have been instances where I wanted to force a "page break" but have not been able to find out how to do this from the User Guide instructions or the "help" notes in the program itself.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this? Thanks. Fred
ebookfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:00 AM   #102
ront
ront began at the beginning.

Menu: Format/more ransformations/insert page break after selection

It's a page break in the text editor mode. When I convert the file to make it as a sony reader format but it doesn't appear as a page break in the sony reader. I want to make every new chapter on a new page but I can't do. Apart from this problem, BookDesigner works fine.
ront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:42 AM   #103
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ront View Post
Menu: Format/more ransformations/insert page break after selection

It's a page break in the text editor mode. When I convert the file to make it as a sony reader format but it doesn't appear as a page break in the sony reader. I want to make every new chapter on a new page but I can't do. Apart from this problem, BookDesigner works fine.
On the "Options" page of the "Make Sony Reader" dialog, check both the "Auto page break" and "User page break" boxes. Then you'll have your page breaks.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:13 AM   #104
ront
ront began at the beginning.

Thank you very much HarryT.
ront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #105
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I'm not getting this Book Cleaner right... I did everything as the posts here instruct, I load my book, and I get question marks where em dashes should be. I checked the "language" in options, saw it was English. Since I read this should be German, I put German and now I have regular dashes... better than question marks, but still... no em dashes...

Can someone explain to me how this is supposed to work? I feel like such an idiot... em dashes are important. and I want 'em ..

Other than this little problem, everything is fine. I'm using Book Designer to edit all my books and I have to say, it's one damn fine program.

Oh, one more thing... how do I save to Book Designer's native format? I can see it in the Open Book dialog (html0, cit), but not in the Save As dialog...

Last edited by Valloric; 02-11-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookdesigner