Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-18-2010, 04:01 AM   #1
jpw94
jpw94 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook/Kindle
Converting purchased books

I purchased a book from B&N (.PDB format). I downloaded to my computer. I added it to the Calibre library and wished to view it in calibre. However, I received a message: This book protected by DRM.

What should/can I do about this?
jpw94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:12 AM   #2
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Hi Jpw94
As far as I know Calibre won't handle DRM protected books.
IF you want it is possible to do something about the DRM (ie remove it )
However that is illegal in most countries, and instructions of "howto" on MR are not allowed, as far as I know.
Search MR for DRM, to learn more. You could google something like apprenticealf to get on
I have no experience with, so ..
Hope this helps
Cheers,
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 04:21 AM   #3
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
As pc7 said, you cannot read a drm protected book in Calibre.

Apprenticealf is the place to look if you want to consider removing the drm from your B&N purchases.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:26 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your new company, JPW, but sorry you're signing in with one of the biggest problems the ebook reading community faces -- the nefarious practice of imposed DRM.

There are ways and means of stripping DRM from an ebook described all over the net. Morally justified as this is, it's only borderline legal, so -- as Pchrist says -- we can't discuss it openly here.

But at least, you'll know in future to avoid DRM stores wherever possible.

Good luck and best wishes. Neil
Attached Images

neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote