Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Observed in wild: Sticky "ALT" key. Independent confirmation?

I reviewed a manuscript last week, and took a lot of notes on inconsistencies, etc. In general I was very happy with how the Kindle performed, but I did note one thing.

The "ALT" key that one holds to get certain punctuation marks sometimes seems to "stick." That is, I would let go of it to continue typing, but no letters would print, j and k would move the cursor through the note, and the backspace key would delete the entire text of the note rather than just one letter. Pressing and releasing the "ALT" key again usually fixes the problem.

I am thinking about calling Amazon about this, but thought I'd check whether other Kindle users have observed this phenomenon? Before I realized what was happening I noticed that the text of the note I was typing would occasionally just disappear. Has anyone noticed any problems of that sort?
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Just checked ours, no sticking
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
No sticking here, either.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Not here.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
honeybunny
Connoisseur
honeybunny has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2 GSM
Maybe the one specific unit had a gunked-up Alt key?
honeybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Honeybunny--

It's quite possible that it's just my unit that has it; before calling Amazon tech support (which I do plan to do) I just wanted to see if anyone else was noticing the problem.

I just felt like it would be useful to know.

Would you mind trying it on your Kindle? Just add a couple of notes to something and use the alt key to get two or three of the punctuation marks in your annotation.

Arg, now that I'm trying to duplicate the problem, the alt key isn't sticking anymore. Sigh.

Anyway--I haven't given you karma yet because it wasn't clear from your post whether you'd tried it. If you'll try it for me, I'll give you karma. It won't be much, because I'm not a long-time poster with lots of karma myself, but it will be a little boost to your rep. :-)
Old 05-17-2008, 09:14 PM   #7
honeybunny
Connoisseur
honeybunny has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2 GSM
LOL, I am not in it for the karma. That's funny that you use it as an incentive.

Let me try it for you....

OK I did this:

testing sticky alt key thing. <alt>6<alt>7<alt>8<alt>96789

On the ones where I used Alt, the proper symbol came up. Then the 6789 came up without the alt. So I don't think my alt key was sticking. Was this an appropriate test?
honeybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
catsittingstill
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunny View Post
LOL, I am not in it for the karma. That's funny that you use it as an incentive.

Let me try it for you....

OK I did this:

testing sticky alt key thing. <alt>6<alt>7<alt>8<alt>96789

On the ones where I used Alt, the proper symbol came up. Then the 6789 came up without the alt. So I don't think my alt key was sticking. Was this an appropriate test?
(shrug) well, you know, it was the only incentive I had :-)
Yes, that was the sort of test I had in mind. Thank you for checking!