Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #406
nicabod
nicabod began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook, refurbed
@Mistwolf: I'd love to have better words for you*, but I'm concluding that the Craig Android tablets are all "lemons". They are unfit for the general public; only talented geeks can make them useful for much more than showing the time and demonstrating resistive touch screens.
*Katie1 seems like such a nice person, hate to see her get caught up in this.

Others have had connects immediately followed by disconnects; in my case, IIrc it said ¨looking for IP", which didn't make sense. (Doing its own DHCP?) It did actually send to and receive a few dozen data packets from the 'Net, but IIrc gave up soon afterward.

Seems to me that the software is created with no access to the full variety of our ISPs and wireless routers, and perhaps tested with few, if any competing wireless links. Even the OLPC* people, early on, had some difficulty with lots of machines close together. *One Laptop Per Child

I don't know enough about wireless design to tell whether the antenna scheme in a Craig 738b is good. It has to connect through the black shiny plastic, somewhat to the right of the CRAIG logo; the metal sides and bottom are excellent shields.
Might be a good idea to be sure nothing blocks access in that area. (I, too, was only about a yard/meter away from my router's antenna.)

Want to read some FAQs? Search with Bing, not Google! Google blocks just about all hits on Android tablet FAQs.
Google sells a package of accesses that Android tablet manufacturers apparently have to accept "as is" (not sure), and follow Google's terms. Those are the companies and organizations with icons on your home screen. If they gave access to FAQs, users might find out some things that would reduce Google's profits. Unfortunately, it seems that they have abandoned a "first, do no harm" point of view.

Craigs, other than the doubts I have about the wireless antenna, seem to have quite-decent hardware, especially for the money. Firmware is, partly, another story. Too few people (just one?) involved, inability to test in an typical US environment, Google's restrictions, et cetera. While a lot of it is probably excellent, some very-critical parts are nearly useless.

Of course, I could be wrong about this, some or all, but I've spent probably a hundred hours, mostly spinning my wheels in shredded Teflon, so to speak, struggling and learning. Fwiw, I was a midnight hacker in 1960, although away from computers totally between '62 and '81.

I surely hope not too many people "bricked"* their Craigs by trying to install the 738A firmware; it's not compatible. I was horrified when I read this whole thread, every message, wondering how many people expected that 738A firmware would work in a 738b. *Disabled -- as useful as a brick

(Almost) last, but by no means least, I think it's borderline crazy to expect non-technical owners to need to update all the firmware in a machine to make it really useful! In fixed-location computers, updating a BIOS, and some other firmware is usually done by experts, seems to me.

Anybody want photos of the innards? I hesitate to post the rest of my text; it just seems unfair. I would be sure to include all remarks for the photos, if they're not already posted. Not totally sure I still have the rest of the text, either...

Good luck, folks! Do think about keeping yours, hoping that Craig will get its act together.

Whether Exalted Greed is at the root of the proliferation of Android (and other) tablets is the root cause, I'm not certain, but it's likely.

P.S.: What the heck is this? Just above this text-entry field, it says, "Logged in as Nicabod". When I try to preview, it says I'm not logged in!! All too easy to lose every byte of one's text in such a trap. Took a screen shot showing that I'm logged in.

Saved my text to the clipboard, logged in (again), and pasted it here.
Bummer!

I'm seriously considering buying a refurb. color Nook at a B&N store.

I do wish you well!
[nb]

Last edited by nicabod; 12-10-2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: "738b", not "738B"
nicabod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #407
Mistwolf
Mistwolf began at the beginning.

Device: craig touch tablet
thanks
Mistwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #408
Mistwolf
Mistwolf began at the beginning.

Device: craig touch tablet
anyway to boost the signal.....??
Mistwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #409
nicabod
nicabod began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook, refurbed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistwolf View Post
anyway to boost the signal.....??
I really doubt that a weak signal is the problem. The RF link probably works fine; it's the firmware (software) for Wi-Fi that's so unrealistic as to be useless. Sorry.

While it's quite limited regarding variety of functions, the calculator in the 738b is quite nice. Angles for the trig. functions are in radians, just about sure. Factorials are actually very closely related to the gamma function, which accepts non-integer values (and can't evaluate negative integers).

I'm hoping that Craig will provide an update for the 738b, but am not going to hold my breath.

This thread seems almost dead...

Good luck, everybody!
nicabod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #410
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
@Mistwolf: I'd love to have better words for you*, but I'm concluding that the Craig Android tablets are all "lemons". They are unfit for the general public; only talented geeks can make them useful for much more than showing the time and demonstrating resistive touch screens.
*Katie1 seems like such a nice person, hate to see her get caught up in this. I TRY to be nice!

I had 1 back in May 2011 ... I kept it 2 days trying to figure it out! Only thing I figure is If You cant Root it is Junk! & If you can read Chinese you SOL for getting any help! I never found any English instruction on the Craig & How to do different things Right Out of the Box!

BTW the one thing mine did right was connect to WiFi LOL I had problems with 2 Nooks that wouldnt stay connected to WiFi...found out they were Defective! So I suggest you return the Craig & try another one!

Happy Holidays!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #411
Rebecca1971
Rebecca1971 began at the beginning.

Device: Craig
Hi all, I'm asking this question for a friend who just bought a Craig tablet at CVS and cannot access the internet/get on line. Neither of us are "techies" at ALL! I guess my first question is, does she need her own router to use this tablet? She was under the impression that since it was/is "wifi", she did not need a personal router in her home...Any help is greatly appreciated. You all seem very knowledgable, and I apologize in advance for my lack of it! Thank You!!!!
Rebecca1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #412
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes she needs WiFi at home! She can go to FREE WiFi places to use it...Like Mc Donalds. But its not like a cell phone where you can get in air OR she can connect to a computer to sideload information when home.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #413
Rebecca1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Yes she needs WiFi at home! She can go to FREE WiFi places to use it...Like Mc Donalds. But its not like a cell phone where you can get in air OR she can connect to a computer to sideload information when home.
Thank you Katie1.... So no router, no internet access at home...She thought being wifi it would pick up something.... So if she wants to use this at home, the only way would be for her to get some type of internet service w/router, i.e. Verizon DSL, etc., right...? Again, I know NOTHING about any of this.....thanks SO much for your help and bearing with my ignorance!!!!
Old 12-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #414
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca1971 View Post
Thank you Katie1.... So no router, no internet access at home...She thought being wifi it would pick up something.... So if she wants to use this at home, the only way would be for her to get some type of internet service w/router, i.e. Verizon DSL, etc., right...? Again, I know NOTHING about any of this.....thanks SO much for your help and bearing with my ignorance!!!!
There is only a need for a high speed Internet connection such as Cable or DSL. What is she using at home today to reach the Internet on her home computer? You can buy a wireless router to insert between the computer and the Internet cable. A wireless router is less that $30 these days when you catch one on Sale. Of course there are lots of wireless connection available at coffee shops and fast food place and even some libraries. Wi-Fi is a local access that generally covers 1 building, house.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #415
Rebecca1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
There is only a need for a high speed Internet connection such as Cable or DSL. What is she using at home today to reach the Internet on her home computer? You can buy a wireless router to insert between the computer and the Internet cable. A wireless router is less that $30 these days when you catch one on Sale. Of course there are lots of wireless connection available at coffee shops and fast food place and even some libraries. Wi-Fi is a local access that generally covers 1 building, house.

Dale
Hi Dale, thank you! She doesn't have a home computer, nothing. That's why she bought the tablet on sale, etc, thinking since it was WiFi she could use at home. Again, I know nothing about this....so bear with me. Does she need to have a home computer for this to work at home??? And it sounds like you're saying she absolutely needs a router and some type of internet service, ie. DSL or cable....???? Otherwise, there's no getting on line with the tablet, unless at WiFi places you mentioned above??? Thank you SO much Dale, you're information and help is truly appreciated!!! Rebecca
Old 12-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #416
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

She Cant use it at home to WEB search Unless she pays for internet service & has WiFi Router. She Can got to FREE WiFi places & get on web....Download eBooks/games etc that she Can play & read at home. Does she have Cable or a Landline Phone at home? She can call them to see what the cheepest internet is in her area. BUT she will still need to buy a wireless router. WHY did she buy a tablet? What was she planning on using it for? This may help us give options! IF it is for eBooks she may want to return it & get an eReader like a Kindle that has 3G. 3G is the eReaders way to go online LIKE a cell phone! No Internet needed. Just a great location so you recieve Cell Phone signals!
Old 12-20-2011, 06:17 AM   #417
Rebecca1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
She Cant use it at home to WEB search Unless she pays for internet service & has WiFi Router. She Can got to FREE WiFi places & get on web....Download eBooks/games etc that she Can play & read at home. Does she have Cable or a Landline Phone at home? She can call them to see what the cheepest internet is in her area. BUT she will still need to buy a wireless router. WHY did she buy a tablet? What was she planning on using it for? This may help us give options! IF it is for eBooks she may want to return it & get an eReader like a Kindle that has 3G. 3G is the eReaders way to go online LIKE a cell phone! No Internet needed. Just a great location so you recieve Cell Phone signals!
Thanks Katie! She just wanted to be able to access email and the internet, that's really it, just to keep in touch w/friends thru email mainly, and again, search internet for things etc. Thank you both for all of your help! If you have any other ideas, etc. by all means please let me know. I've passed the info on to her about needing internet service/router at home to work, etc. Again, thank you, thank you!!! You guys are great here, so glad I found this site!!!!
Old 12-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #418
benton5
benton5 began at the beginning.

Device: graig tablet
graig android 7"tablet

Hello, I recently purchased the tablet also from cvs for my son, but we are unable to get passed the green android. Any suggestions on how to operate the tablet will be helpful.
Thanks!
benton5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:34 AM   #419
tschill
tschill began at the beginning.

Does anyone know how to do all this on the 738B without risking making a small table ornament?
tschill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #420
hillwmj
hillwmj began at the beginning.

Device: Craigs 7xxxxx
Just bought one today at a local CVS and it was bricked out tf the box. If I any of my stores nearby has stock left, I will charge that up and review.
hillwmj is offline   Reply With Quote