Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Just Bought the CRAIG Android 7" Tablet from CVS

Okay, first of all, this thing was $100, so I wasn't expecting much. I am happy to report that it's not quite as bad as I thought, though.

7" touchscreen (no multitiouch)
700MHZ processor
Android 2.1
256MB DDR RAM
WiFi b/g
HDMI out
Mini USB and USB host capability
~ 6 or 7 hours battery life (depending on how I use it so far)
Speaker & Microphone
Micro-SD card slot (32GB max)
3.5mm headphone jack

I spent yesterday on slatedroid.com rooting it, and today getting Android Marketplace to work, but I'm happy to report that the marketplace does, indeed work.

I've installed Kindle and Nook software, plus the included eBook app, Twitter, Facebook, and a few more apps.

Not a bad device, really. Multitouch would be nice, but saving myself the $500 is nicer.

If you've got the time to tinker, I can recommend this as a reader/basic tablet.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
NCitsme
NCitsme began at the beginning.

Device: none
Any chance you would take the time to give us a step by step... so even a novice like me could do the upgrade... Thanks
NCitsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 02:11 AM   #3
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCitsme View Post
Any chance you would take the time to give us a step by step... so even a novice like me could do the upgrade... Thanks
Sure. It's not too tough at this point.

1) Download the custom ROM here. I'd stay away from the alpha ROM. It works, but getting it on your device takes a few extra steps. The ROM you probably want is this one.

2) Uncompress the file and rename it update.img

3) Go into Settings -> USB Mode. Make sure Host Mode is unchecked.

4) At that point, your computer should recognize it as a drive.

5) Copy that file to the root directory of the device.

6) Unplug the device from the USB cable. At this point, it should start the update process.

7) Once it's done and rebooted, go into Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications.

8) Press Menu > Filter > All

9) Clear Cache for - Checkin Service, Download Manager, Gmail, Google Talk Service and Market

10) Reboot Device

At that point, you should have a working tablet running Android 2.1, with access to the Android Market.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
adept777
adept777 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
Sure. It's not too tough at this point.

1) Download the custom ROM here. I'd stay away from the alpha ROM. It works, but getting it on your device takes a few extra steps. The ROM you probably want is this one.

2) Uncompress the file and rename it update.img

3) Go into Settings -> USB Mode. Make sure Host Mode is unchecked.

4) At that point, your computer should recognize it as a drive.

5) Copy that file to the root directory of the device.

6) Unplug the device from the USB cable. At this point, it should start the update process.

7) Once it's done and rebooted, go into Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications.

8) Press Menu > Filter > All

9) Clear Cache for - Checkin Service, Download Manager, Gmail, Google Talk Service and Market

10) Reboot Device

At that point, you should have a working tablet running Android 2.1, with access to the Android Market.

Let me know if you have any questions.

hey guy.. I have successfully enabled market but now any download I try comes back saying unsuccessful.. please help. I have cleared all the cache like said. Thanks!
adept777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by adept777 View Post
hey guy.. I have successfully enabled market but now any download I try comes back saying unsuccessful.. please help. I have cleared all the cache like said. Thanks!
Okay, try this:

Don't just clear the cache. Also clear the data for all of those. And in addition:

Gmail Storage
Google Apps
Google Backup Transport
Google Search
Google Settings Provider
Google Talk Storage
Market Update
Package Installer

That will probably do it. Remember to reboot afterwards before trying to go into the Market again.

Hope that helps!
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
aplouffe
aplouffe began at the beginning.

thanks!

Rooting successful. Thanks for posting the steps!
aplouffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplouffe View Post
Rooting successful. Thanks for posting the steps!
Glad I could help. Let me know if I can answer any other questions, or if you have trouble w/ accessing the Android Market.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #8
adept777
adept777 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
Okay, try this:

Don't just clear the cache. Also clear the data for all of those. And in addition:

Gmail Storage
Google Apps
Google Backup Transport
Google Search
Google Settings Provider
Google Talk Storage
Market Update
Package Installer

That will probably do it. Remember to reboot afterwards before trying to go into the Market again.

Hope that helps!
Worked!! awesome tks!!! now for the big question : what are the possibilities of installing a linux based os?? Ubuntu? Thanks!!
adept777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #9
XTL
XTL began at the beginning.

I installed the update exactly like you said to above and cleared cache and data for all of the listed apps and I still can't successfully download a single thing from the app store. Any idea what might be keeping me from downloading?
XTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:16 PM   #10
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTL View Post
I installed the update exactly like you said to above and cleared cache and data for all of the listed apps and I still can't successfully download a single thing from the app store. Any idea what might be keeping me from downloading?
Did you reboot after you did that? I would go through it again and reboot, just to be safe.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:08 AM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Very interesting. Thank you!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #12
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Very interesting. Thank you!
No problem. It's an interesting little gadget.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #13
craigapad
craigapad began at the beginning.

Device: craig android pad
root

I did exactly as in the steps, but at 6 th step, my craig device is not recognizing the file after disconnecting it from usb, I tried to click on the .img, the device is asking me to open with what type of app? like contacts, applications etc.
How would l execute this .img file? many thanks
craigapad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #14
craigapad
craigapad began at the beginning.

Device: craig android pad
I did exactly as in the steps, but at 6 th step, my craig device is not recognizing the file after disconnecting it from usb, I tried to click on the .img, the device is asking me to open with what type of app? like contacts, applications etc.
craigapad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #15
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigapad View Post
Sorry. I left out a step. You should rename the file to update.img. Then it should work.