Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-05-2010, 10:56 PM   #1
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
eBook doubling on Kobobooks?

Greetings

Today, Scott Westerfeld released his new book in the Leviathan trilogy, "Behemoth". I was looking at this one here :

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Behem...rww/page1.html

... figuring out I'll wait for a coupon to grab it, since it's 12.79 CAD.

But then, lo and behold, I found this...

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Behem...dLg/page1.html

... for 10.19 CAD.

Why, and what's the difference? Is this something that happens on a regular basis?

I, of course, would grab the 10$ one, if only I didn't have the gnawing feeling that I might be missing some extra stuff from the 12.79$ version (maybe drawings, like in Leviathan?).
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
The first link comes up as $9.99 for US resident.

The second link says item unavailable for international customers.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
The first link comes up as $9.99 for US resident.

The second link says item unavailable for international customers.
Ah yes, both listings must come to be with different prices because I am accessing the website from Canada!
Old 10-06-2010, 02:46 AM   #4
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirsier View Post
Ah yes, both listings must come to be with different prices because I am accessing the website from Canada!
I have found that some books from Amazon have got different prices as well... When I went to have a look at Ken Follett's book I was told it was not available in Australia... Then I clicked the link to books available in Australia, and there was the book only $9 cheaper.

Now whenever I see a book unavailable, I try it again clicking the Australian link...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
Squirsier
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I have found that some books from Amazon have got different prices as well... When I went to have a look at Ken Follett's book I was told it was not available in Australia... Then I clicked the link to books available in Australia, and there was the book only $9 cheaper.

Now whenever I see a book unavailable, I try it again clicking the Australian link...
But in this case, both ebooks are available to me, just with different pricing, and no description of the difference between both!
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Looking at the Table of Contents, they both go up to the same number of chapters + "Extras". The difference seems to be in the two publishing divisions.

The green-covered "Simon Pulse" one is what's available in the US/Canadian Kindle store, and says it has a filesize of 31632 KB (though that may be a typo) and a print length of 492 pages.

The blue one from "Simon and Schuster Children's" is only available in the UK Kindle store, and says 6990 KB/432 pages respectively. But they don't have the other version.

If the e-version you got for the previous book had illustrations, maybe try to get the one which comes from the same imprint. Otherwise whatever's cheapest probably looks best, especially with one of Kobo's frequent coupon deals.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirsier View Post
But in this case, both ebooks are available to me, just with different pricing, and no description of the difference between both!
Yes, I see what you mean...

In the first link I can buy the book... The second link says 'This content is not available internationally'..
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
Squirsier
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
If the e-version you got for the previous book had illustrations, maybe try to get the one which comes from the same imprint. Otherwise whatever's cheapest probably looks best, especially with one of Kobo's frequent coupon deals.
That is a very good advice, thanks! Looks like Leviathan, the first volume of the series, was from Simon & Schuster (which is great, because it's the cheaper version ).
Old 10-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #9
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Just one thing to beware of. Simon Pulse is likely a division of Simon and Schuster, and maybe they decided to put the latest book under this "brand" to help build it up. So if your previous e-book was the North American version and not the British one, you may have to go with that instead, even if it costs more.

On the product page discussion forum for the Kindle version, there's already someone asking if it comes with illustrations which I presume are included in the print book (no reply yet). That might account for the stated filesize difference if the UK version omits them. Although ~7000kb is pretty hefty for a Kindle book to begin with, so maybe it's got the illos, too.

Maybe the best way to go would be to try and download a sample from whichever one of the Kindle books you can get access to onto one of their computer apps and see if you can find any illustrations inside. Or use Amazon's new web sample browsing widget or whatever they call it.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote