Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #10846
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmay View Post
I'm starting to research for a new book, so I'm reading Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us.

If you've ever been fascinated by evil people like Jeffrey Dahmer, it's definitely worth a read. The author estimates that about 2% of the US population is psychopathic.
I hope your writing will also address the vast number of psychopaths who have worked their way into positions of power. To me, they are far more dangerous than the Jeffrey Dahmers of the world if for no other reason than that their psychopathic tendencies are allowed to play out unchecked. By mimicking 'normal' behavior, these insidious folks find their way into positions where they can satisfy their need to exercise control over others from first-line supervisors to executive boardrooms.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #10847
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just finished reading A Jewish Understanding of The New Testament by the late Samuel Sandmel. This is an interesting, informative, and clearly written book that makes the work of New Testament scholars easily accessible. Throughout the book, Rabbi Sandmel is diplomatic and respectful of a faith he doesn't share, but he doesn't gloss over the difficulties of the anti-Jewish polemics in the N.T. that have provided fodder for anti-Semites for the last two millennia. Highly recommended. *****

From the inside flap of the hardcover edition:
Quote:
A Jewish Understanding of the New Testament provides an introduction to the documents that form the source of Christian faith, from a Jewish perspective. Samuel Sandmel applies scholarly criticism and provides historical background to the writings of the New Testament, revealing how the sacred literature of other religions can provide enriching perspectives on one’s own beliefs. This intriguing and informative book will augment both Jewish and Christian study of the New Testament, as well as provide a well-rounded introduction to its literary flavor and historical significance for seekers of any faith. Without compromising his Jewish identity or encouraging any traditional Jewish stereotypes of the New Testament, Sandmel offers an enlightened view of Christian beliefs and encourages us to acknowledge the common humanity we share with people of all religions.
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #10848
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Just finished The House Without a Key by Earl Derr Biggers, the first Charlie Chan mystery (1925). His depiction of the Chinese detective is a far cry from the movie adaptations with which we're all familiar. I enjoyed the mystery, but could have done without the anti-Japanese slurs. I suppose that's one of the prices we pay when we read older novels. I won't judge Biggers too harshly; no telling which of my own current attitudes and opinions will appear appalling and short-sighted to future, more enlightened generations.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #10849
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Just finished The House Without a Key by Earl Derr Biggers, the first Charlie Chan mystery (1925). His depiction of the Chinese detective is a far cry from the movie adaptations with which we're all familiar. I enjoyed the mystery, but could have done without the anti-Japanese slurs. I suppose that's one of the prices we pay when we read older novels. I won't judge Biggers too harshly; no telling which of my own current attitudes and opinions will appear appalling and short-sighted to future, more enlightened generations.
i have just recently enjoyed the first 2 charlie chan mysteries and a 1914 short novel called 'the agony column by mr. biggers. i really like the geographic/cultural diversity of his novels so far. 'the house without a key' took place mostly in honolulu, 'the chinese parrot' in san francisco and in the california high desert, and 'the agony column' took place in london.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #10850
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

His descriptions were wonderful:
Quote:
It was the hour at which she liked Waikiki best, the hour just preceding dinner and the quick tropic darkness. The shadows cast by the tall cocoanut palms lengthened and deepened, the light of the falling sun flamed on Diamond Head and tinted with gold the rollers sweeping in from the coral reef.
Unfortunately, I wonder what he would write were he alive today? These days the shadows that lengthen and deepen on the shore of Waikiki are those of the high-rise hotels. I was there in 1968, well after commercialization had set in, and things have changed drastically even in the short span of time since. I was recently told by a Hawaiian native I wouldn't recognize the place today. Even in Biggers' day his characters complained about the loss of innocence and how the native Hawaiians were a "dying race." It would have been wonderful to have see the land as Captain Cook did.
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 03:23 AM   #10851
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Straight onto All Night Awake by Sarah A Hoyt, which takes up the story ten years later.
And very good that was too. Marlowe, Shakespeare, The Fates and Elves. Fun stuff, if a little bit dark in places. Another excellent fantasy, and again, complete in itself.

Next: Any Man So Daring by Sarah A. Hoyt

It starts off three years after the close of the last book.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #10852
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I'm reading "The Information" by James Gleick -- pretty fascinating, just read the section on Charles Babbage and Ada Lovelace and just ran across this somewhat related item:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15001514
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #10853
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Finished reading the July/August issue of Philosophy Now, which explores the issue of "What is Love?" by looking at what thinkers such as Plato, Feuerbach, C.S. Lewis, Santayana, Erich Fromm, and others have had to say on the subject.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #10854
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I finished Vlad: the Last Confession by C.C. Humphreys tonight. I read the last 49% today so I can only say this is a good book. I was expecting a horror story in a historical setting (it deals with Vlad Dracula the historical figure and not the vampire) but although the impalements and other bloody things do feature in the story it's a historical story. Humphreys obviously has done his research and has done a very good job of interweaving fact and fiction.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #10855
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevdeforges View Post
Currently reading Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes - and it's simply riveting. Not at all the sort of book I normally read.
Read this about a month ago and couldn't put it down.

Last edited by MickeyC; 09-22-2011 at 07:26 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #10856
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Just finished The House Without a Key by Earl Derr Biggers, the first Charlie Chan mystery (1925). His depiction of the Chinese detective is a far cry from the movie adaptations with which we're all familiar..
Read every one of these when I lived in Hawaii back in the 80's and 90's and loved every one!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #10857
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I am reading Tounges of Serpents by Naomi Novik. Best. Dragons. Ever. I'm going to start listening to Last Call by Tim Powers on my drive home (I have no idea what that will be like. Never read the author and didn't even read reviews as I checked it out from the library).
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:57 PM   #10858
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I am constantly amazed at the varied tastes we have.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:59 AM   #10859
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool mercedes thompson

has anyone read any of the books in the mercedes thompson series by patricia briggs? i've read the first 5 and have had the 6th, 'river marked' (released in may of this year) near the top of my tbr list for quite a while now. but i just keep inserting other stuff in front of it. even so i'd like to recommend this series to those of you who like other urban fantasies like the dresden files, the hollows, kate daniels or elemental assassin. here's a short blurb about 'river marked'

Quote:
Car mechanic Mercy Thompson has always known there was something different about her, and not just the way she can make a VW engine sit up and beg. Mercy is a shape shifter, a talent she inherited from her long-gone father. She's never known any others of her kind. Until now.

An evil is stirring in the depths of the Columbia River-one that her father's people may know something about. And to have any hope of surviving, Mercy and her mate, the Alpha werewolf Adam, will need their help.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:17 AM   #10860
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
The past couple days I have been reading Eon - Greg Bear After two days I am only at 30% I just can't get into it but can think of nothing else to read. What I find odd is in TV or Movies I always preferred Science Fiction but when It comes to books I just don't like the genre.. Looks like I am in a rut for awhile till I find something new that interests me. 3,000 ebooks and nothing to read, I think I am to picky
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote