Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-01-2020, 08:37 AM   #421
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
At first glance, it appears like an embedded image href of that nature should already be dealt with correctly (from a regex point of view). I'll have to take a closer look. But that's going to be in KindleUnpack itself rather than the plugin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
Hi, @DiapDealer.

Would it be possible for KindleUnpack auto-correct the cover links (NCX and inline TOC) when converting a KF8 to EPUB?

Generally, it comes like this:

Code:
<a href="kindle:embed:0005?mime=image/jpg">Cover</a>
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:34 PM   #422
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The problem with links like this is that there's nothing to "correct." KindleBook covers are not "pages" as such. They're just typically images and nothing else. As such, if the hrefs were indeed "correct," they would still be illegal epub hrefs insofar as they point directly to images. Which is not supported in epub. There's no good way to handle this situation without inventing pages to display these images (which is not likely something that KU is going to do). So even if they were "correct" they'd still need to be fixed before they were usable in an epub. It's a bit of a damned-if-you-do-damned-if you-don't situation.

In all likelihood, kindlebooks that contain these kinds of links after running KindleUnpack on them were probably not actually made from epubs to begin with. We try to make it very clear that KindleUnpack's KF8 to Epub "conversion" is only an approximation. If it (the KindleBook) wasn't made from an epub, the resulting epub is not guaranteed to be valid.

The bottom line is the the inline html toc and the ncx both need hrefs to pages not images. And if there was no page in the kindlebook, we really can't go making one up.
Advert
Old 02-01-2020, 04:27 PM   #423
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The problem with links like this is that there's nothing to "correct." KindleBook covers are not "pages" as such. They're just typically images and nothing else. As such, if the hrefs were indeed "correct," they would still be illegal epub hrefs insofar as they point directly to images. Which is not supported in epub. There's no good way to handle this situation without inventing pages to display these images (which is not likely something that KU is going to do). So even if they were "correct" they'd still need to be fixed before they were usable in an epub. It's a bit of a damned-if-you-do-damned-if you-don't situation.

In all likelihood, kindlebooks that contain these kinds of links after running KindleUnpack on them were probably not actually made from epubs to begin with. We try to make it very clear that KindleUnpack's KF8 to Epub "conversion" is only an approximation. If it (the KindleBook) wasn't made from an epub, the resulting epub is not guaranteed to be valid.

The bottom line is the the inline html toc and the ncx both need hrefs to pages not images. And if there was no page in the kindlebook, we really can't go making one up.
Thanks for the reply.

In my files, they all have a cover page, although that might not be the case for every book. Also, KU would have to figure out which page is the cover.

Thats ok, it is very simple to correct this, anyway. Thanks!
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:40 PM   #424
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm not ruling out doing something about it. I'm just nor sure what, yet.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:03 AM   #425
bookandtea
Mint Magic
bookandtea began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle Oasis
I'm using the latest version of Calibre, and I have the tools from Apprentice Alf's blog (here) downloaded and installed.

Tonight I downloaded a book in AZW4 format. I'd like to change that to PDF or epub so I can read it on my iBooks app. I downloaded and successfully installed KindleUnpack.

When I select the book, and click the KindleUnpack button along the toolbar, there's a red lock and the menu is greyed out. Now, in the previous response to someone else a few pages back, your instruction was to download the DRM removal tool - but I've already done that, I use those tools regularly. What else could be going wrong?
bookandtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2020, 04:22 AM   #426
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookandtea View Post
I'm using the latest version of Calibre, and I have the tools from Apprentice Alf's blog (here) downloaded and installed.

Tonight I downloaded a book in AZW4 format. I'd like to change that to PDF or epub so I can read it on my iBooks app. I downloaded and successfully installed KindleUnpack.

When I select the book, and click the KindleUnpack button along the toolbar, there's a red lock and the menu is greyed out. Now, in the previous response to someone else a few pages back, your instruction was to download the DRM removal tool - but I've already done that, I use those tools regularly. What else could be going wrong?
Clearly the DRM didn't get removed when you imported the book into calibre. For help on that, ask at Apprentice Alf's blog.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:18 AM   #427
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
unicode argument expected

Intrigued by this post about Kindle Editions with Audio-Video ebooks, I have downloaded one. Expectedly, It gets delivered to K3, PW3, and K4PC in the AZW/MOBI format with no audio or video media files.

I Alf-Harpered it and was just curious to inspect the source html, but then got this error message from KindleUnpack plugin:

Click image for larger version

Name:	KindleUnpack.png
Views:	243
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	180435

Is this particular to that type of book or only a mundane error?

BTW the source seems to have been unpacked anyway and I can inspect it.

Last edited by PoP; 07-09-2020 at 02:37 PM. Reason: fixed link
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:07 PM   #428
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

That there is an error displaying an error! That shouldn't really happen regardless of what kind of book it is (though I've never downloaded one of the books you're talking about). I'll have to take a look at the area in question. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:52 PM   #429
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Give this version a whirl and see if the error for that book is "properly" shown, now.

You still may get an error with that particular book, but it should be a different one. One that will hopefully give a better clue as to what the underlying unpacking engine doesn't like about it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-06-2020 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Remove attachment
Old 07-06-2020, 01:51 PM   #430
PoP
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^

Exactly, a different error:

Code:
calibre, version 4.20.0
ERREUR : Exception non gérée: <b>AttributeError</b>:'unicode' object has no attribute 'write'

calibre 4.20 [64bit]  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.19041-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19041')
Python 2.7.16+
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19041', 'SP0', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: fr
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Gather KFX-ZIP (from KFX Input) (1, 33, 0) && DeDRM (6, 8, 0) && Package KFX (from KFX Input) (1, 33, 0) && Count Pages (1, 10, 0) && KFX metadata reader (from KFX Input) (1, 33, 0) && KFX Input (1, 33, 0) && KindleUnpack - The Plugin (0, 82, 2) && TTS to MP3 (0, 4, 0) && KindleXRay (0, 0, 3) && X-Ray Creator (3, 2, 1) && Obok DeDRM (6, 7, 0) && Hyphenate This! (0, 0, 9) && Set KFX metadata (from KFX Output) (1, 43, 0) && KFX Output (1, 43, 0) && APNX Generator (1, 1, 0) && EpubCheck (0, 2, 2)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.action", line 269, in unpack_ebook
  File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.utilities", line 113, in showErrorDlg
  File "traceback.py", line 233, in print_exc
  File "traceback.py", line 124, in print_exception
  File "traceback.py", line 13, in _print
AttributeError: 'unicode' object has no attribute 'write'
BTW it happens on that $0 book.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:18 PM   #431
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Ack! That's still not the error message I was hoping to get. I'm going to have to rethink my polyglot error dialog. It works for calibre-py3, but not calibre-py2. When I updated the plugin to accommodate both, I didn't check to see that error conditions worked for both versions of python. I'll get it figured out and post another test version.

Thanks for the free test case link!
Old 07-06-2020, 09:57 PM   #432
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

The image resources in that book are pretty messed up. I fixed the error dialog error that I inadvertently introduced with my changes to support both the Python 2 and the upcoming Python 3 versions of calibre. And I patched the kindleunpack core engine to test for cover thumbnail image indexes that are somehow out of range. I'll see about making that change permanent in the kindleunpack repository.

The bottom line is that even though you may have gotten the html unpacked, you might not have been getting all of the images from that book unpacked (and you still might not, given all the unrecognized image resources and sections not containing recognized resources that I see in the debug output).

Give this version a whirl on that book (same version number as the last test version ... sorry).

EDIT: Removed beta attachment since it's been incorporated in the official release (first page of the thread).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-25-2020 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Remove beta attachment
Old 07-07-2020, 01:31 AM   #433
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Give this version a whirl on that book (same version number as the last test version ... sorry).
This version unpacked the .mobi file without giving me a visible error. The same 40 images in the Images directory. Then I tried debug mode. Sheesh, it generated a mass of errors.

Spoiler:
Code:
stdout+stderr from file dialog helper: ['', '']
piped data from file dialog helper: ['O\xcc\x93Y\xfe\x9b\xf1l\xa4+\x02-\x98)q\xf4\x14P\x82\x9e2\x80\xe8b\x0e\x01\xbcA\xe4%\x96o', 'C:\\Users\\David\\Desktop\\Outies']
Palm DB type: BOOKMOBI, 91 sections.
Warning: Bad key, size, value combination detected in EXTH  406 16 0000000000000000
Unpacking a Mobipocket 7 book...
Processing Mobipocket 7 section of book...
Mobi Version: 7
Codec: utf-8
Title: His Holiness the Dalai Lama (Enhanced Edition)
EXTH Title: His Holiness The Dalai Lama (Enhanced Edition): A Message of Spiritual Wisdom
Palmdoc compression
Unpacking images, resources, fonts, etc
Failed to extract font: font00030 from section 30
Failed to extract font: font00031 from section 31
Failed to extract font: font00032 from section 32
Failed to extract font: font00033 from section 33
Failed to extract font: font00034 from section 34
Failed to extract font: font00035 from section 35
Failed to extract font: font00036 from section 36
Failed to extract font: font00037 from section 37
Extracting image: image00038.gif from section 38
Warning: Section 39 does not contain a recognised resource
Extracting image: image00040.jpeg from section 40
Extracting image: image00041.jpeg from section 41
Extracting image: image00042.jpeg from section 42
Warning: Section 43 does not contain a recognised resource
Extracting image: image00044.jpeg from section 44
Extracting image: image00045.gif from section 45
Extracting image: image00046.jpeg from section 46
Extracting image: image00047.jpeg from section 47
Extracting image: image00048.jpeg from section 48
Extracting image: image00049.jpeg from section 49
Extracting image: image00050.jpeg from section 50
Extracting image: image00051.jpeg from section 51
Extracting image: image00052.jpeg from section 52
Extracting image: image00053.jpeg from section 53
Extracting image: image00054.jpeg from section 54
Warning: Section 55 does not contain a recognised resource
Extracting image: image00056.jpeg from section 56
Extracting image: image00057.jpeg from section 57
Extracting image: image00058.jpeg from section 58
Extracting image: image00059.jpeg from section 59
Extracting image: image00060.jpeg from section 60
Extracting image: image00061.jpeg from section 61
Extracting image: image00062.jpeg from section 62
Extracting image: image00063.jpeg from section 63
Extracting image: image00064.gif from section 64
Warning: Section 65 does not contain a recognised resource
Extracting image: image00066.jpeg from section 66
Warning: Section 67 does not contain a recognised resource
Extracting image: image00068.jpeg from section 68
Warning: Section 69 does not contain a recognised resource
Extracting image: image00070.jpeg from section 70
Warning: Section 71 does not contain a recognised resource
Extracting image: image00072.jpeg from section 72
Extracting image: image00073.jpeg from section 73
Extracting image: image00074.jpeg from section 74
Warning: Section 75 does not contain a recognised resource
Extracting image: image00076.jpeg from section 76
Warning: Section 77 does not contain a recognised resource
Extracting image: image00078.jpeg from section 78
Extracting image: image00079.gif from section 79
Extracting image: cover00080.jpeg from section 80
Extracting image: image00081.jpeg from section 81
Extracting image: image00082.jpeg from section 82
Extracting image: image00083.jpeg from section 83
Extracting image: image00084.jpeg from section 84
Extracting image: image00085.jpeg from section 85
Extracting image: image00087.jpeg from section 87
Unpacking raw markup language
Write ncx
Find link anchors
Insert data into html
Insert hrefs into html
Remove empty anchors from html
Insert image references into html
Error: Referenced image 18 was not recognized as a valid image
Error: Referenced image 28 was not recognized as a valid image
Error: Referenced image 30 was not recognized as a valid image
Error: Referenced image 32 was not recognized as a valid image
Error: Referenced image 34 was not recognized as a valid image
Building an opf for mobi7/azw4.
Error: Cover image 50 was not recognized as a valid image
Number given for Cover Thumbnail is out of range: 57
Error: Cover Thumbnail image 57 was not recognized as a valid image
stdout+stderr from file dialog helper: ['', '']
piped data from file dialog helper: ['\xc7\xd5\x9fj\xaa\xbf\xae\xd3\x99{/,\xc6C\xa9\x90\xbb\xacG{3\xefoR@\xb1\x12N_\xd3n\xa9', 'C:\\Users\\David\\Desktop\\Outies']
Palm DB type: BOOKMOBI, 91 sections.
Warning: Bad key, size, value combination detected in EXTH  406 16 0000000000000000

Also I modified line 35 in action.py from:
Code:
    dont_add_to = frozenset(['menubar-device', 'toolbar-device', 'context-menu-device'])
to:
Code:
    dont_add_to = frozenset(['context-menu-device'])
and I can add it to the main toolbar with device connected. Thanks again for that bit of advice.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:15 AM   #434
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Yeah, that's the same output I was seeing. That book's a bit of a mess. Clearly the process to strip out the multi-media resources and present this thing as a mobi is a bit less thorough than it could be.

Thanks for reminding me about the menu thing. I'll incorporate that before officially releasing v0.82.2 of the plugin, too.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:44 AM   #435
PoP

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
This version unpacked the .mobi file without giving me a visible error.
Concurred Thanks, a greatly useful plugin.

Tags
mobi2mobi