Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-17-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
highwaykind
Connoisseur
highwaykind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Is it possible to view the Format of a book in Library view?

I deleted a bunch of books in my Ebooks library (formats I wasn't interested in, broken zip files etc), but they still show up in the Calibre database.

In stead of organizing the 2000 or so books by size trying to figure out which are 'linking' to an empty folder or a file that doesn't exist, I am pretty sure all the books have their 'formats' set to 'none'

(I haven't really organized them all yet, and on some imports the author/title got switched, and some metadata apparently wasn't there at all, so I can't sort on X to find duplicates)

Is there a way to get the format displayed so I can delete those now invalid entries quickly?

If I click on Preferences - Interface ' Formats' is not selectable in " Select visible columns in library view" .

(I'm somewhat new to Calibre, waiting on my Kindle to arrive to really start using it - before it was 'just' a handy tool to organize my ebooks)
highwaykind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #2
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaykind View Post
I am pretty sure all the books have their 'formats' set to 'none'
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to ask, but I'm pretty sure all the books will have their format set to whatever they were before you deleted them in your file manager.

Anyway, in Calibre's search bar you can filter by format using format:<format>

Next time, be sure to delete the files _from within_ calibre so the database doesn't get messed up. To solve the issue in the most expedient way, I guess you could do a "save to disk", start with a fresh DB, and do an import again. Perhaps another MR member has a more convenient solution.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Preferences->Advanced click check database integrity
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
highwaykind
Connoisseur
highwaykind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thanks for the ' format filter' option!

I will definitely delete them from within calibre next time like I should have.

I fiddled around with some settings and found in the Advanced Preferences a "check database integrity button".
When I clicked that a whole lot of invalid entries got deleted.

The handful that were left had no information for file size, so I could easily delete those too by sorting on size.

After an afternoon of fetching data from server and downloading covers I'm left with 750 books to read. Now all I have to do is wait for the Kindle DX to arrive....*runs back and forth to mailbox impatiently*

If it syncs like I think it will, I'll donate

Last edited by highwaykind; 09-17-2009 at 11:16 AM. Reason: wrong word (hours of cleaning database melts brain)
highwaykind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
Paul58
A Reader with no Reader..
Paul58 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Pocket Edition, B&N Nook
Is there a way to add "format" as a column along with Title, Author, etc?

Currently, you have to click each file to view which format the file is in (PDB, PDF, EPUB, etc). I have a Sony Pocket Reader and a Nook, and the PDB files will not work on the Sony, so having the ability of clicking on the Format Field Header and sort by File Format would ease loading different format e-books on different eReaders...

EDIT: I'm using the MAC OS X Version...

Thanks...

Last edited by Paul58; 01-23-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Paul58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul58 View Post
Is there a way to add "format" as a column along with Title, Author, etc?
Lower right corner, hit the tag, select Formats, click the EPUB tag (or whatever format you want to send). It will put 'format:"EPUB"' on your search line and only the books with that format will show up. Then just send them or save them.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You could also use something like format:epub in the search box. I personally find that easier than switching to the tree view.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
formats, interface, library view